Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• PBR-swilling hipsters

Comment

• I like PBR. Honestly, with wings, a few Miller Lites is fine.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
          I like PBR. Honestly, with wings, a few Miller Lites is fine.
          Yes. Miller Lite is a perfect wing beer.

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            I like PBR. Honestly, with wings, a few Miller Lites is fine.
            Honestly, most of the interchangeable crapola beers are perfectly drinkable with food. Bud Lite is one of the only ones I'll point blank refuse to drink unless it's free and I'm tailgating. That and good ol' Red Dog, but I haven't had that shit since grad school. I've always thought PBR was quite a bit better on draft than canned. Then of course there's Old Style or Schliitz, the beer that made Milwaukee famous.

The craft beer revolution has also brought back brands from the dead. Several are beers that were immensely popular in regional markets until the Triumvirate of Evil (Bud, Miller, Coors) took over America in the 70's. Dunno if it's distributed down your way, AA, but Narragansett is an excellent cheap-beer choice. It was the preferred beverage of Quint in Jaws. Even though it's now actually made third-party by Genesee it's pretty decent.

The History Lesson: Narragansett Lager is old reliable. It was the first beer brewed by "The Original Six" back in 1890, and the best selling beer in New England from the 1930's to the 1970's. It has crossed paths with Dr. Seuss, it was famously crushed by Captain Quint in Jaws, and it was the first alcoholic beverage

More locally there's also Hudepohl aka "Hudy" that thrived in Cincinnati for a century before eventually succumbing to the nationalization of beer markets. It's made today by Christian Moerlein, a craft brewer

Comment

• I thought it wouldn't show till after Labor Day but fear of Trump appears to be on the decline in the US Senate, given these comments by Sasse and McConnell saying earlier he was against giving putting over a billion in the covid bill to rehab the old FBI building

EeDQivFXsAEz4DZ?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Comment

• I had Hudy and Narragansett 30 years ago. Both total shit. Of course, they were from my father’s emergency beer stash and had been sitting in a basement for years. Drinking fucking pop tops in 1989. The other options were Slivovitz and Canadian Club. Horrific. It’s a wonder I ever liked drinking. Shrewd parenting on my Dad’s part — intentionally leave total shit/poison and maybe your kids will eschew the drink.
                Last edited by iam416; July 28, 2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• PBR and the re-released Schlitz are my favorite “brand” beers. I’ll drink Founders All Day IPA all fucking day in the summer.

Comment

• There are two good sail-boating beers. They are best quaffed - and I mean quickly when it is hot, you've been raising sails, grinding a winch and setting spinnakers and you cross the finish line in the medal group and head for the marina. They are Miller Lite in US waters and Presidente in the Caribbean. The beer cooler is a cherished and specifically selected item. Disposable styrofoam is the cooler of choice. That is because normal coolers weigh a lot and additional weight - even too many beers- on a racing boat is death. Pack the biggest styro cooler you can find about half way full with cans - only cans - lighter than glass and don't shatter if dropped causing a dangerous mess, then top off with a 10lb bag of ice - only 10 pounds ...... weight, weight and did I say weight? Most importantly, strap that sucker down as far forward in the boat as you can. Weight forward is good, aft is bad.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Honestly, most of the interchangeable crapola beers are perfectly drinkable with food. Bud Lite is one of the only ones I'll point blank refuse to drink unless it's free and I'm tailgating. That and good ol' Red Dog, but I haven't had that shit since grad school. I've always thought PBR was quite a bit better on draft than canned. Then of course there's Old Style or Schliitz, the beer that made Milwaukee famous.

The craft beer revolution has also brought back brands from the dead. Several are beers that were immensely popular in regional markets until the Triumvirate of Evil (Bud, Miller, Coors) took over America in the 70's. Dunno if it's distributed down your way, AA, but Narragansett is an excellent cheap-beer choice. It was the preferred beverage of Quint in Jaws. Even though it's now actually made third-party by Genesee it's pretty decent.

The History Lesson: Narragansett Lager is old reliable. It was the first beer brewed by "The Original Six" back in 1890, and the best selling beer in New England from the 1930's to the 1970's. It has crossed paths with Dr. Seuss, it was famously crushed by Captain Quint in Jaws, and it was the first alcoholic beverage

More locally there's also Hudepohl aka "Hudy" that thrived in Cincinnati for a century before eventually succumbing to the nationalization of beer markets. It's made today by Christian Moerlein, a craft brewer

I had some regular Genesee and some Genessee Cream Ale a few weeks back and didn't think it was half bad for cheap beer. Hadn't seen it since the 80's when an old college buddy from New York would bring it up.

Comment

• Also Hamm's out of Minnesota and let's not forget the pride of the Shittsburgh Steelers, Iron City Beer. I do appreciate that even the neanderthals in Pittsburgh knew to stay clear of any Detroit-made horse-piss

Comment

• As much as I love the crafts, the obsession with hoppy beers has gotten out of hand. If it's 90 degrees outside, give me a decent Pilsener (a clean German or Czech one with the Noble hop "bite"), Hefeweissen or Helles (hard to come by unless you get them fresh from a really good brewpub or have connection to someone who flies Lufthansa regularly). These beers, and even British styles, really are great when done right. It's not easy, and too many American brewers (and even the Germans that export to the USA) don't think the interest is there to warrant the attention to detail to make them right. They don't age well, either, so the beer you get at your local store probably doesn't taste much like it should.

Comment

• Founders is my absolute favorite. They don’t make a bad beer. Love all the varieties.
                            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Well, I guess. I could see some people not digging their Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale if you're not too into peat, malt out the ass and the faint hint of sheep dung.

Comment

• It's worth mentioning again that Schaefer had the best slogan in the history of beer -- "The one to have when you're having more than one." God bless.

I believe Pabst bought up Schaefer and Schlitz and few other old-timey favorites and now distributes them on a limited basis.

As for PBR, it's been my house beer since, oddly enough, I became professionally employed. Over 20 years of always have a PBR available. I always have 3 cold PBRs in the fridge and then at least 7 or 8 other types of various style. For summer, you need a Kolsch, Pilsner, Session IPA and a few different IPAs and, of course, you still need a Porter and our Stout in case one of your kids makes brownies and you want you to enhance the already considerable genius of Duncan Hines.

I've been enjoying Platform beers as off late. One of these 90+ degree days I was outside visiting w/ my in-laws and I must have whipped throw 4 of their sun surfer session ipa in 10 minutes.
                                Last edited by iam416; July 29, 2020, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X