No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These are "America's Frontline Doctors" that the conspiracy theorists (and Trump) are touting.

Two of the bozos are Opthamologists ffs. At least three have appeared on FOX news in support of Dur Fuhrer

97 days **sigh**

No Evidence That Doctor Group in Viral Video Got Near COVID 'Front Lines'
    — Who are the physicians behind America's Frontline Doctors?

A screenshot from the America’s Frontline Doctors video
    The latest viral video promoting COVID-19 misinformation features a newly formed group called America's Frontline Doctors. About 10 physicians, dressed in white coats with an embroidered America's Frontline Doctors logo, spoke for 45 minutes in front of the Supreme Court on Monday on a range of COVID-19 talking points, from hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) being curative to the mental health effects of lockdown outweighing the toll of the virus itself.

But none of them have practices that would place them on the actual front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic. Some don't currently practice at all.

Two of those appearing at the Monday event are ophthalmologists, one of whom is no longer licensed. MedPage Today could find no evidence that any of the speakers worked in hospitals with significant numbers of COVID-19 patients.

The group's website, which according to internet records was created on July 16, was de-activated on Tuesday (though past versions can be seen on web archives). Major social media platforms have sought to remove the video from their pages.

Late Tuesday, the group was delivering a second press conference as part of a two-day "summit."

U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman (R-S.C.) opened the first briefing by calling for schools to reopen. Austin Livingston, a spokesperson for Norman, said the congressman was invited to speak by the Tea Party Patriots -- which organized the event on the Supreme Court steps -- in order to "encourage state officials to open schools."

The Associated Press has previously reported that the Tea Party Patriots are a part of the Save Our Country Coalition, an alliance of conservative groups formed earlier this year to end regional lockdowns. That report also said the Trump campaign tried to recruit doctors to publicly support the president in his push to reopen economies.

Jenny Beth Martin, co-founder and national coordinator of the Tea Party Patriots, spoke as part of the America's Frontline Doctors press briefing. It is not clear what relationship, if any, exists between the two groups beyond the Washington event.

So who are some of these doctors involved in this group, and what involvement have they had in the pandemic?

Simone Gold, MD, JD

In her Twitter profile, Gold describes herself as a "doctor, lawyer, writer, mom," and links to her website, thegoldopinion.com, which promotes libertarian political viewpoints.

Gold earned a medical degree in 1989 from what is now the Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science in Chicago. Her website bio identifies her as a board-certified emergency physician in the Los Angeles area.

Her California medical license includes her unverified claim that she is involved in patient care 30-39 hours per week and indicates a practice location in Hesperia, a bedroom community of about 100,000 at the edge of the Mojave Desert. Efforts to determine where specifically she may practice were unsuccessful.

She did not respond to a message seeking clarification and comment.

Gold has been a frequent contributor to conservative media, including Fox News, where she advocates for HCQ as a treatment for COVID-19 and fast economic reopening.

Stella Immanuel, MD

Immanuel is a pediatrician and minister in Houston, according to reports, with a clinic in a strip mall. During Monday's briefing, she claimed she has treated 350 COVID-19 patients with HCQ and none have died.

She said she is working on publishing her own data, then added that her data would not matter because right now people are dying when not treated with the drug.

"Everybody get on hydroxychloroquine!" she said, calling the large randomized trials that debunked the drug "fake science." She also declared that people did not need to wear masks.

Immanuel could not be reached for comment Tuesday. Her ministry's website was not operational Tuesday afternoon and a GoFundMe page that she called her "legal team" has been removed from the site. A cached version of the ministry site still stands.

Earlier during the pandemic, Immanuel made news for challenging Anthony Fauci, MD, and CNN correspondents to share urine samples to prove they were not secretly taking HCQ.

James Todaro, MD

Todaro, an ophthalmologist based in Michigan who is no longer practicing, graduated from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in 2014. His medical license, which was classified as "educational limited" in Michigan, expired in 2019.

According to his LinkedIn profile, Todaro has not practiced medicine since 2018. He co-founded an investment fund called Blockchain Capital.

Todaro authored a blog post in May that was among the first to expose flaws in the infamous Lancet study concluding that HCQ was associated with higher death rates in COVID-19 patients. Todaro's exposé, written on his website Medicine Uncensored, ultimately contributed to the study's retraction.

Previously, Todaro wrote a "white paper" in mid-March on chloroquine as prophylaxis and treatment for COVID-19, based on published information and linked in a Twitter post. Twitter has since marked it as "potentially spammy or unsafe."

Todaro did not respond to multiple requests for comment from MedPage Today.

Bob Hamilton, MD

Hamilton, a pediatrician and schools liaison with America's Frontline Doctors, has been practicing in Santa Monica, California -- home to his private practice, Pacific Ocean Pediatrics -- for more than 30 years. He has hospital privileges at Providence-St. John's Health Center and UCLA-Santa Monica Medical Center.

His practice is involved with Lighthouse Medical Missions, which organizes faith-based medical service trips in developing countries. Hamilton also founded a company that sells bath and body products for babies, and authored a 2018 resource guide called 7 Secrets of the Newborn.

The pediatrician became an internet sensation when he created "The Hamilton Hold," a four-step technique to quiet crying babies instantly. His technique attracted global media attention, and has been viewed more than 44 million times on YouTube.

Hamilton has advocated for getting children back in schools this fall. "Our kids are not really the ones who are driving the infection, it is the older individuals," Hamilton said at the Monday press conference. "We need to not act out of fear, we need to act out of science."

He did not respond to requests for comment from MedPage Today.

Dan Erickson, DO

Erickson is the co-owner of Accelerated Urgent Care in Bakersfield, California. He is a former emergency physician, according to reports, who was featured on national television in late April after he claimed data his center had collected showed that COVID was more widespread and less harmful than reported in medical journals.

The American College of Emergency Physicians and American Academy of Emergency Medicine issued a joint statement condemning Erickson's claims, calling them "reckless and untested musings" that are "inconsistent with current science and epidemiology regarding COVID-19."

Erickson could not be reached for comment Tuesday afternoon. He is affiliated with Adventist Health Bakersfield, according to a report. Adventist Bakersfield did not return a call Tuesday.

Richard Urso, MD

Urso is an ophthalmologist at Houston Eye Associates in Bellaire, Texas, who has been touting HCQ for COVID-19. He told Fox News host Laura Ingraham earlier this month that he has been working with the drug for 30 years and has never had a patient with a heart issue.

He also said during that interview that HCQ was "safer than Tylenol, aspirin, Motrin."

Urso has one ding on his Texas medical license: In 2003, he paid a $1,500 fine to resolve allegations that he didn't provide a narrative of medical records to an attorney for a patient's personal injury lawsuit.
    Edit or delete this
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Per Nate Silver today saw the highest covid death total (over 1400) since May 15. Florida and California both had record highs. Texas would have hit a record high too (over 300 dead) except for that big backlog they dropped a few days ago.

Incidentally Florida announced they will be shutting down all state testing sites after tomorrow as a tropical storm is poised to strike the Everglades saturday afternoon and run the entire length of the state. So their case numbers could temporarily drop quite a bit.

Comment

• ESPN investigation reveals that a youth basketball program the NBA was overseeing in China was actually rife with abuse and keeping children out of schooling

The NBA brought in elite coaches and athletic trainers with experience in the G League and Division I basketball to work at the academies. One former coach described watching a Chinese coach fire a ball into a young player's face at point-blank range and then "kick him in the gut."

"Imagine you have a kid who's 13, 14 years old, and you've got a grown coach who is 40 years old hitting your kid," the coach said. "We're part of that. The NBA is part of that."

It is common for Chinese coaches to discipline players physically, according to several people with experience in player development in China. "For most of the older generation, even my grandparents, they take corporal punishment for granted and even see it as an expression of love and care, but I know it might be criticized by people living outside of China," said Jinming Zheng, an assistant professor of sports management at Northumbria University in England, who grew up in mainland China and has written extensively about the Chinese sports system. "The older generation still sees it as an integral part of training."

In an interview with ESPN about its findings, an NBA official said the league is "reevaluating" the China academies after concluding it had insufficient oversight over the program.

Comment

• Henry Ford Health System doctor says Hydroxychloroquine is effective in treating Covid and reducing deaths. Maybe not a cure for everyone, but it has shown benefit in some.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• There is no money in that so it can't be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
              Henry Ford Health System doctor says Hydroxychloroquine is effective in treating Covid and reducing deaths. Maybe not a cure for everyone, but it has shown benefit in some.

https://www.henryford.com/news/2020/...reatment-study
              https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/08/...pay-the-price/

At the root of the conflict is the fundamental principle that the FDA uses to evaluate drugs. Decisions are based almost entirely on what is known as a randomized controlled trial, in which patients are randomly assigned to receive a treatment or not. Other types of studies have, again and again, failed to deliver accurate information about medicines’ benefits and risks, and are used sparingly in making medical decisions. Three randomized studies have now shown no benefit for hydroxychloroquine in hospitalized patients.

The study that sparked the latest controversy was anything but randomized. Not only was it not randomized, outside experts noted, but patients who received hydroxychloroquine were also more likely to get steroids, which appear to help very sick patients with Covid-19. That is likely to have influenced the central finding of the Henry Ford study: that death rates were 50% lower among patients in hospitals treated with hydroxychloroquine.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...8LoqtoCAsD7Mrg
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                Flats or drums? I usually go flats if I have a choice. Bleu cheese. Asian Zing. Celery. Beer.
                Choose flats or drums at my place...and your choice of 20 different sauces...four different dips...but you fucking fuckers can keep making fun...but my wings are fucking great...anyone wants to try them they and the beers are on THE WIZARD...
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Read an article today (paywalled) where a panel of data geeks and epidemiologists met to figure out COVID data and whether it was reliable enough to inform public health and government officials wrt formulating responses to the virus ....... surprise, not even close. So, yeah, Fauci, Brix and others have good intentions and believe they are staking out positions that are supported by the data, the reality is there positions, based on unreliable data are, in general, not any more supportable than PDJT's.

I think most of us here know the absolute data numbers aren't particularly reliable. I've held that trends are more so but not that great either. That doesn't stop me from drawing my own conclusions right along with those that are drawn by local officials that then become mitigation strategies....... some, not all, that I take issue with as being without facts to support them (e.g., masks while exercising).

US capacity to obtain and track real time data is seriously deficient. There are a lot of reasons for this. At the heart of them is the decentralized nature of PH data gathering and reporting, ancient technology and infrastructure to support that effort, lack of funding and human resources to collect and collate data and no centralized point to analyse data and react to the virus in meaningful ways. This panel argues that on a macro level and compared with other countries this is one of the primary reasons why the US appears unable to control SARS-CoV-2 community spread. IOW, it's less about the people not wearing masks or social distancing and the being irresponsible trope as it is about the US capacity to formulate appropriate responses and geometric progression that results from responses that are ill-informed and ineffective.

I'm interested in following the data, flawed as it is, only to balance the idiocy of a lot of local PH mitigation strategies in my own mind. There are others here who, while they don't embrace the virus hoax BS, they believe that the crippling all-encompassing v. targeted reaction to the pandemic wasn't necessary. Other options based on better data and data analysis would have been less destructive to the US economic and social fabric. I'm confident that when this pandemic is analyzed retrospectively, that correct viewpoint will be unquestionably supported. Unfortunately, and despite the prodigious and available amount of historical perspective on recent global epidemics and pandemics, the cost of how ill-prepared the US and most of the rich nations of the world were to respond to SARS-CoV-2, will be debilitatingly high on a long term basis.
                  There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post

Choose flats or drums at my place...and your choice of 20 different sauces...four different dips...but you fucking fuckers can keep making fun...but my wings are fucking great...anyone wants to try them they and the beers are on THE WIZARD...
                    That’s very cool of you. What about mozz sticks? Bourbon? Do you have cute waitresses?
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• RIP Herman Cain.

Comment

• Covid?
                        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Covid?
                          Yep. Had been in the hospital for four weeks and lots of speculation

Comment

• RIP

He went through stage 4 colon cancer, I see some reports he thought Covid was a hoax and refused to wear a mask?

Comment

• DEFUND THE POLICE!!!!

Quote from NYT article (lol -- it must pain them to report even a shred of not great news from police free zones):

What people aren’t recognizing is that people who live there are having a very, very challenging time from the unlawfulness that is occurring after the sun goes down,” said City Council member Andrea Jenkins, whose district includes the area. “There are constant gunshots every night. Emergency vehicles can’t get in. Disabled people are not able to access their medications, their appointments, their food deliveries, et cetera. It’s a very challenging situation.
                              Do fucking tell. Seriously. DO. FUCKING. TELL.

Nah, DEFUND AND ABOLISH!!!
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Covid?
                                100476944_10222597287467094_4584839397630803968_n.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X