No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd never even heard of Karen Bass before the past couple weeks but I'll say her chances of being Biden's darkhorse VP pick are over as of this oppo dump tonight

Comment

• 116433012_10158318228296469_3270418730360060780_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=yscnzDgRtu0AX9pZDc0&_nc_oc=AQlHlPoEkiiCBAKmVUduxisshKYMLWnP7hWdqqFcX_8_7KFQjz7awGqYV3ceb6-zDJw&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=4add996a61c5af31a6d75c
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Damn...this sucks. Not far past me on my side of town. Over 100 cases tied to a nursing home in Newark.

Comment

• Here in S FL, we're preparing for Isaias now a Cat 1 (winds to 85). It looks as if it will skirt the region with a potential landfall much farther north in FL's Space Coast (Orlando and north). My place in Fort Lauderdale should be fine. We expect max winds around 45 if not lower. We're getting rain bands now, not much wind. There is a bit of an eastward movement at the 8:30 am NHC report. That's good. Even a few miles lowers wind threat. The storm is also running into some wind shear and a upper level dry air mass which will prevent strengthening.

Could skirt the entirety of FL and turn north sooner. That's good news for FL bad news for GA, SC, NC. Best case is for the thing to weaken and cross FL then die out. Still could do that but too early to be definitive.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• In COVID news, despite "DIRE" warnings about FL, the state is actually doing pretty well. R(t) is holding below 1.0 (0.97-0.99) over the last week. New case number splines are downward trending, all the other objective measures are downward trending. There has been an increase in reported deaths and CFR is rising and consistent with the up-tick in new case numbers over the last month - caveat how this number is calculated and what it means out of context. The number of deaths per 100,000 population is still low (under 2), and accompanied by very low IFR (less than 0.05). If someone you know has died, though, it's crushingly sad and the US's overall deaths from COVID is troubling (again, caveat reporting process and protocols - see comments below in separate post.)
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• My 3 US based kids and I have been discussing risks of sending their own kids - collectively 8 of them - back to school in MI and NC. I sent them a link to a NYT Risk Calculator of sending kids back to school listed by county. It's decent as long as you understand the limits of the calculator and authors are open about them.

One of my daughters brought up the novel approach of ID'ing hot spots in advance of the actual occurrence of the virus by testing local sewer water. Fecal mater is known to contain virus particles before a person becomes symptomatic and might seek testing or care. That permits a preemptive strategy. We all agreed that the logistics of doing that by local regions for the purpose of opening or closing schools, regional businesses or the like are tough to over come.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...b2da6e075b25bf

Which brought me to US problems with the reliability of data (you know about my rants on this) and testing and tracking ..... it sucks compared to nations with better success with the pandemic and how much it sucks becomes more and more obvious on a daily basis. When you lack availability of testing supplies and results are taking weeks instead of days, it's impossible to conduct meaningful tracking and isolation. You must have this capacity to control the virus - we don't, can't trun this on like with a light switch and that's why I advocate for management not control of the virus. Couple this with what I consider to be unreliable COVID data and the conclusions drawn from that data and, here in the US, state by state, county by county, decision makers are flying blind and just guessing on mitigation measures. The result ..... a lot of poorly conceived and targeted ones.

Linked below is a resource I found that discusses what kind of data we should be collecting to make responses to the pandemic better. Since the feds screwed this up from the gitgo, experts in this kind of stuff are urging local businesses and public schools to start collecting data on their own. It's out there, it just needs to be mined and collated, then interpreted.

https://preventepidemics.org/covid19...es/indicators/

Comment

• Wow, I just watched Bulldog Jim Jordan grill Dr Fauci on if protests are spreading Covid 19. Dr Fauci seemed a little intimidated and defensive from Jordans aggressiveness and questions.

Jordan to Dr Fauci - “I haven’t seen people during a church service go out and harm police officers or burn buildings,” “No limit to protests, but you can’t go to church on Sunday?”

Comment

• Comment

• This isn't Fauci's fault. We have stupid mitigation measures - shutting down churches is one of them - because the data is bad. Officials have some idea of how to respond to the virus and what to do but it is a shot in the dark and subject to political influence.

Fauci has been very careful to avoid the politics of this and any discussion involving the shuttering of churches while allowing protests is a political hot-potato. It wouldn't have been a political issue like it is if PH infrastructure hadn't been ignored and in some cases dismantled over three successive administrations ..... the results as I discussed them above.

I still trust Fauci. I think he has very skillfully navigated the shit storm of the Trump administration wrt the CDC and the response to the COVID pandemic. I thought his answer reflected more frustration with congressional grand standing than intimidation. YMMV.

Comment

• A funny video from The Lincoln Project about a Republican who wakes up from a three year coma. Spoiler alert: It's not pro-Trump.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                        Jordan to Dr Fauci - “I haven’t seen people during a church service go out and harm police officers or burn buildings,” “No limit to protests, but you can’t go to church on Sunday?”
                        Most of the crap being tossed at church attendance during this thing has been done by states with liberal governors and legislatures who already had an axe to grind with religious people and churches. People of faith tend to be pro-life, and that's anathema to liberals, so people of faith were already at a disadvantage in those states. Cuomo, DeBlasio, Newsome, and Whitmer have all made statements against church attendance and people of faith during this thing.

Its puzzling to me why they get away with it so well, when some of the most vocal "equal rights" people in the country are ordained ministers. Jesse and Al are both ordained ministers, yet nary a peep out of them, when churches are mandated by the government to be shut down. John Lewis' funeral was basically turned into the Democratic Convention the other day IN A CHURCH, that in a lot of states the gathering would be considered illegal. Yet Dem leaders were there, lapping up every word. BUT, they DID NOT spread Covid. Nope. Dems could never do that.

Comment

• image_8381.jpg

Comment

• 116583469_595620027814066_1853398050872850394_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=2LD38VcsJ6cAX9N7jL-&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=fa5cd22e27ac32d798923c2266482fcb&oe=5F4C8678.jpg

Comment

• The problem with that stupid assed meme is that the "left" doesn't think the flag represents racism. No more than the "left" hates this country. Or only conservatives are patriots or patriotic.

That is some of the stupid shit propaganda that the right sells to the rubes. And of course, they eat it up.
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Well then. This is excellent news.

The left now excludes the likes of BLM, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

Progress is being made!

Comment

Working...
                                X