No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I way more interested in the way that bullshit got started than fanciful crimes. It really boggles the mind. But, meh...whatever.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• "Fire Comey and this will all blow over" -- Jared Kushner, political savant

Comment

• It's certainly an indictment of the Media Times that we live in where you can't fire someone who has gone rogue. It's probably not quite as much of an indictment as the whole of the Media believing and pushing a piece of oppo research that was obviously trash.

But, hey, YMMV.

At least the Media didn't operate with a stunning double standard when it came to Tara Reade. LOL.

Anyway, if you want keep fighting from the low ground have at it. It's almost impossible not to fight from the high ground when it comes to PDJT, but here we are.
        Last edited by iam416; August 7, 2020, 01:33 PM.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• WRT Hannibal's chart there are some interesting observations: First excess deaths "with COVID" represent 9% of total US all cause deaths. 46% of all deaths are caused by heart disease and cancer..... that is the same as saying excess deaths from those two diseases combined cause 4X more deaths than the excess deaths COVID is causing. Think about that in terms of the resources that have been expended and directly associated the knee-jerk economic hari-kari ostensibly committed to confront the assumed medical threat of COVID.

Second, note that the CDC numbers of COVID deaths is "with" Covid, not from it. That is an important distinction that I raised yesterday. The actual number of deaths that could be attributed to COVID alone is probably substantially lower. Epidemiologists and data geeks have repeatedly raised this concern and been mostly ignored with few exceptions.

This kind of reasoning has a significant impact on the thing I keep hammering on that appears to be absent from most PH policy decision making - disease burden and it's cost in comparative calculation of costs of mobility restrictions and the direct impact those restrictions have on economic activity. It's a little harder to objectively equate disease burden cost with the social costs of mobility restrictions. The greatest social cost IMO of the pandemic is on our educational systems - K through Undergrad. How we are handling this is an utter abomination of misinformed measures whose costs will far exceed benefits to the PH. Long term costs to the nation in terms of brain drain will be immediate, impactful and long term...... and that doesn't even count how many of our best colleges and universities will be demolished by the multiple ill-advised steps taken to deal with this thing.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            It's certainly an indictment of the Media Times that we live in where you can't fire someone who has gone rogue. It's probably not quite as much of an indictment as the whole of the Media believing and pushing a piece of oppo research that was obviously trash.

But, hey, YMMV.

At least the Media didn't operate with a stunning double standard when it came to Tara Reade. LOL.

Anyway, if you want keep fighting from the low ground have at it. It's almost impossible not to fight from the high ground when it comes to PDJT, but here we are.
            Trump had every "right" to fire Comey. Doesn't mean he was smart to do so, especially not at the specific point in time he chose. I'd remind that even Republicans wanted a special counsel after that. Plenty of them were probably wondering if there was anything to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
              WRT Hannibal's chart there are some interesting observations: First excess deaths "with COVID" represent 9% of total US all cause deaths. 46% of all deaths are caused by heart disease and cancer..... that is the same as saying excess deaths from those two diseases combined cause 4X more deaths than the excess deaths COVID is causing. Think about that in terms of the resources that have been expended and directly associated the knee-jerk economic hari-kari ostensibly committed to confront the assumed medical threat of COVID.

Second, note that the CDC numbers of COVID deaths is "with" Covid, not from it. That is an important distinction that I raised yesterday. The actual number of deaths that could be attributed to COVID alone is probably substantially lower. Epidemiologists and data geeks have repeatedly raised this concern and been mostly ignored with few exceptions.

This kind of reasoning has a significant impact on the thing I keep hammering on that appears to be absent from most PH policy decision making - disease burden and it's cost in comparative calculation of costs of mobility restrictions and the direct impact those restrictions have on economic activity. It's a little harder to objectively equate disease burden cost with the social costs of mobility restrictions. The greatest social cost IMO of the pandemic is on our educational systems - K through Undergrad. How we are handling this is an utter abomination of misinformed measures whose costs will far exceed benefits to the PH. Long term costs to the nation in terms of brain drain will be immediate, impactful and long term...... and that doesn't even count how many of our best colleges and universities will be demolished by the multiple ill-advised steps taken to deal with this thing.
              OIP.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                WRT Hannibal's chart there are some interesting observations: First excess deaths "with COVID" represent 9% of total US all cause deaths. 46% of all deaths are caused by heart disease and cancer..... that is the same as saying excess deaths from those two diseases combined cause 4X more deaths than the excess deaths COVID is causing. Think about that in terms of the resources that have been expended and directly associated the knee-jerk economic hari-kari ostensibly committed to confront the assumed medical threat of COVID.

If you're going to argue the bolded then couldn't you also say that flu deaths are almost certainly overcounted every single year? I'm willing to bet most of the people who die from flu have comorbidities of some sort or another.

We had this argument months ago. I think if you're getting along just fine as a diabetic, you catch covid, and then die, the primary cause of death was the covid, not your diabetes. RIP Mr. Brimley

Comment

• As I understand it if one is diabetic, or in another high-risk category, those conditions makes it harder to fight off the Covid infection.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Some senior citizens in Portland decided to stand in front of a police precinct so that it would not be damaged or looted.

Some big, brave BLM/Antifa goons decided to dump paint on the lady in the video, and get up in her face for not wearing a mask.

Yep,.. they're sure winning me over with that ...
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Putin orders US troops out of Norway, Trump says "right away sir".

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/07/polit...way/index.html
                      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                        Putin orders US troops out of Norway, Trump says "right away sir".

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/07/polit...way/index.html
                        I honeymooned in Norway- it's a nice place, but very pricey. The fjords are kind of cool, but you could probably get a similar experience in Alaska for less $$. Apparently, some people are confusing their flag with the confederate one. I have no idea why we would need troops over there.

Comment

• We shouldn’t have any troops in Europe at all.

Comment

• Jerry Falwell is taking an indefinite leave of absence from Liberty University. Or more accurately, the Board of Trustees FINALLY forced him out

Because he (allegedly) got a bit tipsy and posted this classy pic on Instagram (that is not his wife). A funny straw to finally break the camel's back but I'll take it.

Eed6aB3WoAEzuaZ?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Comment

• Among a lot of other empty promises Trump made tonight, he said he's going to sign an executive order requiring insurance companies to cover preexisting conditions. Yeah, that'll hold up. How come no one's thought of that before?

Comment

• I thought it was already law.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X