No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL’s “spread” argument is exactly the problem. There is a very vulnerable set of people (who are very vulnerable a shitload of other health issues), and therefore everything shuts down at the slightest sign of spread. Sure, the kids aren’t at risk, but think about their 80-yr old grandparents!

Whenever anyone points out the extremely low risk for younger people, the response is always “what about the old people????”

One thing the numbers seem to suggest in Florida is that the old people are taking steps to isolate and be safe. Their case numbers are low, while young people cases are high. And, shockingly, CFR numbers are low in Florida.

But, if the goal is the old people standard then shut it all down.

Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• That said, I’m fine w/ schools offering “on-line only” options for students who are scared.

But I’m really starting to cringe at the shit kids are taking. There are real effects to these shutdowns/closings.
      Last edited by iam416; August 17, 2020, 07:21 PM.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Not totally defending UNC here (they claim they are already out of space in their "quarantine dorm"--only one?) . But worry about the health of the individual students isn't the only concern here. Everyone understands they are individually low-risk. But if the virus is pervasive on campus, the employees are eventually going to catch it, and the local community after that. Then you're suddenly not only talking about low-risk individuals.

What % do you think it would take before you consider shutting down in-person classes?
        The state of NC already has a mask mandate that is being strictly enforced, if my recent two week trip there is any indication. I did not enter a single business that was not enforcing social distancing or mask-wearing, with the exception of the occasional lazy mask wearer who was leaving his/her nose uncovered. I thought that the whole point of the mask mandate was to reduce community spread and allow people to live the semblance of a normal life? If not, then what the hell is the point?

I'm not for shutting down important activities for young people at any percentage at this point. Young people are not at risk. Even middle-aged people are not at risk. You have to be over 70 years old to be legitimately at risk. At-risk people can easily self-isolate. We shouldn't be quarantining the 90% to protect the 10%. We should be quarantining the 10%. I'm not for telling America's youth to sacrifice a year or two of their precious youth at just about any price.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          DSL’s “spread” argument is exactly the problem. There is a very vulnerable set of people (who are very vulnerable a shitload of other health issues), and therefore everything shuts down at the slightest sign of spread. Sure, the kids aren’t at risk, but think about their 80-yr old grandparents!

Whenever anyone points out the extremely low risk for younger people, the response is always “what about the old people????”

One thing the numbers seem to suggest in Florida is that the old people are taking steps to isolate and be safe. Their case numbers are low, while young people cases are high. And, shockingly, CFR numbers are low in Florida.

But, if the goal is the old people standard then shut it all down.

Yeah, I'm standing by my argument that the longer the virus is widespread in society, the more difficult it'll become to protect the elderly. I'm not a scientist, I don't pretend to know what a good cutoff would be for shutting down a campus, but double digit positivity in a 1000 random sample seems fair to at least begin the conversation. I'm not on board with hanni's never close it under any circumstances approach.

According to the last report from the state, the median age of new cases in Florida has risen from 35 back in early July to 44 today. But that said people aged 65 or older make up 17.3% of Florida's population but only 14.3% of the total covid cases, so in that respect i suppose they are ahead of the ball.

Comment

• Whenever anyone points out the extremely low risk for younger people, the response is always “what about the old people????”
            ...... and I'll add the janitors and the profs and the admin staff that goes home every night.

Points taken above and they are spot on. At risk people distance and mask FFS. The rest of us get on with it.

The reaction to openings followed by any number of infections is for the press or other agencies to espouse dire consequences, call for shutdowns and then the officials in charge shut the place down. No evidence that the infection occurred within that place, no discussion of a means to deal with it, no evidence of attempts to contact trace then apply reasonable criteria to determine if a traced person is at risk, nothing. The default position is to shut down.

That can work ..... sometimes but, again, at what cost. I am pretty fed up with it and think a lot of others are too but it is where we are right now and for a lot of illegitimate reasons. Frankly, I don't think it's going to change. I do think part of the conundrum is that our testing approach, absolutely critical to some level of control of the spread of the virus, is so totally fucked up that one can make a reasonable case for these "pussy" restrictions, shut downs, what have you. My take, though, is that's not what is behind any reasonable discussion on implementing mitigation measure X.

What's frustrating to me is that there are ways to rapid test and TBH, the newly announced FDA approval of these saliva tests, while an improvement, their introduction to the testing tool box is not going to address the wait times between tests taken and results provided. Not even close. To contain a virus from spreading and beyond sensible mitigation measures you need results right now, on the spot with isolation and contact tracing to follow. This is fucking America..... or I thought it was.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I also think it's a self-defeating message to tell teenagers and college students that they face no personal risk, their parents are at no risk, and their grandparents will be safely locked away until this is all over so don't worry about "spread" either

You tell them all that and then are surprised and amazed when they don't wear masks, ignore social distancing, and go get smashed at frat parties like a normal thursday

Comment

• Also -- we are going to get a second unemployment wave here probably before long. Lots of businesses have been willing to eat a short term loss without laying off folks, but as the pandemic drags on from weeks to months to potentially years, every cash-hemorrhaging business in the country is going to have to start cutting costs. My company is going to start doing this. We already have, in fact -- the first large scale layoffs that we have done since I graduated from college. The airlines will start doing this. The hotel and entertainment business will start doing this. It goes without saying that this will be the worst holiday retail season of our lifetimes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  I also think it's a self-defeating message to tell teenagers and college students that they face no personal risk, their parents are at no risk, and their grandparents will be safely locked away until this is all over so don't worry about "spread" either

You tell them all that and then are surprised and amazed when they don't wear masks, ignore social distancing, and go get smashed at frat parties like a normal thursday
                  To be fair, not many people have been telling teenagers that they face no personal risk. The media has been chicken littling Covid-19 since Day 1 and giving next to no attention to the age distribution of the deaths -- a pattern that was evident as early as February.

Also -- if going to bars and frat parties is the risky behavior that spreads Covid-19 among youth, then what benefit is there to cancelling classes and football games?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                    Also -- we are going to get a second unemployment wave here probably before long. Lots of businesses have been willing to eat a short term loss without laying off folks, but as the pandemic drags on from weeks to months to potentially years, every cash-hemorrhaging business in the country is going to have to start cutting costs. My company is going to start doing this. We already have, in fact -- the first large scale layoffs that we have done since I graduated from college. The airlines will start doing this. The hotel and entertainment business will start doing this. It goes without saying that this will be the worst holiday retail season of our lifetimes.
                    We'll cut more checks for all of it.

Many, many people involved in commercial real estate are probably seeing their career tracks blow up in front of them though. That world might be permanently altered. Covid has accelerated something that was already going to happen there, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

To be fair, not many people have been telling teenagers that they face no personal risk. The media has been chicken littling Covid-19 since Day 1 and giving next to no attention to the age distribution of the deaths -- a pattern that was evident as early as February.

Also -- if going to bars and frat parties is the risky behavior that spreads Covid-19 among youth, then what benefit is there to cancelling classes and football games?
                      I actually agree with you there. Keeping the players isolated and under tight surveillance is lower risk than telling them "the season's canceled, just go be a regular student".

Oklahoma had no cases for weeks, then canceled practice for a week, and nine players came back infected.

Comment

• Tucker at 8:10: The US is descending into chaos. Cities everywhere overrun by violence, anarchy, death, destruction. Dogs and cats living together.

Tucker at 8:30: The Democrats are trying to scare you into voting a certain way.

Efqb3wpXsAAjovt?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Efqb4rPWAAYg6Jk?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Comment

• Many hundreds of thousands of infections will happen — but they don't all have to happen at once.

Hey everyone, remember this?

kprY6iosupNFc6CXYEvQAG-970-80.jpg

Comment

• Like a kid begging his mom to pay attention as he jumps into the pool for the 34th time, Trump teases that he will be pardoning a “very important person” tomorrow and it’s not Snowden or Flynn. Anyone got a guess?

Comment

• Probably Bernie Madoff. The country needs his skill set to balance the books....lol

Comment

• "Flatten the Curve" was all bullshit. The curve was flattened everywhere. When that didn't fit the narrative...it became stopping the spread...which was also bullshit because you can't stop a virus spreading...ever...and they know it. This whole fucking pile of fucking shit is political and was from Day 1 and ramped up every week this bullshit has been going on. Fuck the B1G and fuck the fact so many people have just laid down and accepted this fucking bullshit. Your health is up to YOU. FUCK THIS MOTHER FUCKING GODDAMN FUCKING BULLSHIT.

PERIOD.
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X