No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "His only preexisting condition was trusting Donald Trump, and for that, he paid with his life."

I think I see a campaign ad on the horizon.....
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I spoke too soon on the UNC shuttering ....... details are appearing in this morning's news feeds. It appears that there was plenty of testing and tracing even though details are sketchy. It can probably still be concluded but probably won't that UNC mismanaged the data they had available to them. If the numbers being reported that tested positive or were exposed are accurate, there was no way that an on-campus isolation plan could have been initiated. Did they need to do that. Fuck no.

All of this takes one back to the evaluation of risk of serious illness in this age cohort v. the cost of the shuttering. Clearly, UNC thought health risks outweighed any benefits of continuing the plan they initiated when students returned to school on August 10th. It appears that there were few cases in school controlled facilities including dorms and classrooms and that the majority of infections and exposures were traced to off-campus, uncontrolled apartments, bars, restaurants and Greek housing. It's also clear that masking and distancing were largely ignored by the student body.

So, what does one do about this? Well, you start out by recognizing that by shuttering campus life, you've sacrificed the college experience of 10,000 for the 500 or so that acted irresponsibly or were exposed and are at low risk of serious illness (yeah, the old people ..... that issue has been dealt with in this discussion, YMMV). Instead of the draconian step UNC took, why not send the students that tested positive (about 177 of them) home to isolate for 10d and just monitor the exposed? After those 177 or so folks that tested positive and have recovered, they can return. Keep in mind the CDC guidance on this. If you don't develop symptoms you need to quartine for only 10d from the positive test. If you do, then 10d from the first sign of symptoms - no negative testing is required post isolation. I don't think anyone thought of that.option.
      Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; August 18, 2020, 06:36 AM.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The news is mainly trickling out via European embassies in Bamako but it sounds like a military coup is underway in Mali.

Comment

• Hmmmm, Notre Dame has its own covid dashboard site. They've gone from 8 total cases to 147 in a week, 80 of those in the past 24 hours (with a near 20% positivity rate yesterday).

Comment

• DSL, you forgot some important details. This is a link to NDs testing, quarantining and isolation protocols. They are pretty good...... and a fuck-ton better than shutting down like UNC did. Mild applause.

https://here.nd.edu/health-safety/co...ine-isolation/

The only problem I see with them is that confirmed + symptomatics don't need to be retested after symptoms resolve per CDC. However, there are circumstances where it is optional. They're taking the option and I've got no problem with that. However, they're also buying the potential on retests (as well as AB testing) for false positives when it is pretty well established that after the appropriate isolation and recovery, you're no longer contagious, however, viral particles and ABs can still trigger a + result.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• DeJoy (and probably DJT) at USPS gets his head out of his ass and suspends all the dumb-ass shit he was doing with postal services. He also approved over-time. I suspect Trump was in cahootz with DeJoy and both of them had "plausible" deniability that turned out not to be plausible at all.

If, as it thought, Trump was behind this, regardless of motive (see Liney's post), this has to be one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen from the dumbest president I have known in my life time.

Pregnant question: Will Pelosi move legislation forward on the $25b for the USPS? Will any discussions occur with regard to COVID relief when Congress returns to formulate/vote on the USPS bill?

If so and both of those things happen, Liney was right ...... I still don't like it but Trump might get everything he wanted.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...dejoy-election

Comment

• I learned all about things like political arm-twisting, and what my old CO used to call "political football". I'm sure you're familiar with that, Jeff.

Back in 1977, Congress was debating on whether to give the armed forces a measly 1.5% pay raise. You'd have thought we asked them for a guaranteed $1 Mil apiece, and a $1 Mil signing bonus. Congress (both sides of the aisle) griped and moaned, and didn't want to grant it. They were getting blowback from the ending of the Viet Nam war, where the popular sentiment was, "We spend too much on the military". Nobody wanted to give us a measly raise. I was speaking to our CO one day about it as I was giving him papers to sign, and he said, "Don't worry about your pay raise, .. you're going to get it, .. this is all political football". I never forgot that. And, he was right. We got our pay raise.

Trump isn't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but he knows about making deals, and getting people to talk. I don't always agree with the methods or results, but he knows what he wants, and he goes after it full-blast.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Another sign that the end is near.

bmk.jpg
                  “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Not to offend anyone, but Latte is = to Quiche as far as I'm concerned.

If you want coffee, have a cup of coffee. Don't mess with that girly-man stuff.

:::runs away quickly:::
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• My daughter flies to New York tomorrow to return to NYU for her senior year. They are running dorms at 40% capacity. She will get a COVID test shortly after she arrives. After her test tomorrow evening she has to quarantine in her dorm (one room mate, individual rooms) for 14 days before classes start. There are putting a lot of kids up in hotel rooms to quarantine before moving them to their dorms. Others will stay in the "temporary" dorms (hotels) for the semester and maybe even the entire year.

Her classes are small enough so that 3 of her 4 classes are in person. She is excited about going back to NYC and attending classes. Many of the students that have large classes have an all on-line schedule, so they are not returning. Others are taking a gap year in hopes that things will be back to normal next year.

Hopefully they won't shut down, or if they go to all on line they won't send the kids home.
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                        My daughter flies to New York tomorrow to return to NYU for her senior year. They are running dorms at 40% capacity. She will get a COVID test shortly after she arrives. After her test tomorrow evening she has to quarantine in her dorm (one room mate, individual rooms) for 14 days before classes start. There are putting a lot of kids up in hotel rooms to quarantine before moving them to their dorms. Others will stay in the "temporary" dorms (hotels) for the semester and maybe even the entire year.

Her classes are small enough so that 3 of her 4 classes are in person. She is excited about going back to NYC and attending classes. Many of the students that have large classes have an all on-line schedule, so they are not returning. Others are taking a gap year in hopes that things will be back to normal next year.

Hopefully they won't shut down, or if they go to all on line they won't send the kids home.
                        Is she the one that came back early from Europe in the Spring? Best of luck to her

Oh and if anyone didn't hear, Notre Dame made the next two weeks of classes online-only. If more outbreaks occur the school's President has threatened to send people home and cancel football.

Comment

• More Republicans are going to speak at the DNC than there are total members of "The Squad"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                            DeJoy (and probably DJT) at USPS gets his head out of his ass and suspends all the dumb-ass shit he was doing with postal services. He also approved over-time. I suspect Trump was in cahootz with DeJoy and both of them had "plausible" deniability that turned out not to be plausible at all.

If, as it thought, Trump was behind this, regardless of motive (see Liney's post), this has to be one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen from the dumbest president I have known in my life time.

Pregnant question: Will Pelosi move legislation forward on the $25b for the USPS? Will any discussions occur with regard to COVID relief when Congress returns to formulate/vote on the USPS bill?

If so and both of those things happen, Liney was right ...... I still don't like it but Trump might get everything he wanted.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...dejoy-election

As the tweet above demonstrates, Trump doesn't really care about the post office's finances, Jeff. He views the Washington Post as an enemy, therefore Jeff Bezos is an enemy, therefore Amazon is an enemy. On top of that he hails from the world of commercial brick-and-mortar real estate which regards e-commerce as the enemy.

Behind-the-scenes reporting indicates both Gary Cohn and Larry Kudlow have tried to convince him that he's wrong about the Amazon/Post Office deal but he refuses to listen.

Comment

• Wingnut asshole Laura Loomer appears to have an insurmountable lead in the Republican primary for the FL-21 district. How will she do in the general?

The incumbent Dem, Lois Frankel, currently has 65,000+ votes in her primary

The entire Republican field (6 candidates including Loomer) has 27,000+ votes.

Unless the Republicans are just much slower counters that's not a terrific sign. Starting to look like Hanni's donation will mostly go towards Laura's new boat

Comment

• Crazy Bill Clinton stuff...

One, he’s younger than both Biden and Trump.

Two, he has spoken at every single Dem convention since 1980.

Comment

Working...
                                X