Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

That 1945 law is a goner. It s either going to be eliminated by the MSC decision, or its going to be eliminated by the ballot initiative that is going on now. Petitioners have submitted over 550K signatures, that Lezzie Nessie is challenging in court because of "illegal tactics". She might get a few thousand signatures tossed, but in Michigan all that is needed is about 360K to get it on the ballot, and they'll still have more than enough to force that issue.
    It won't get to the ballot. If it is okayed.....the current legislature will take it up and vote it through.
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

It won't get to the ballot. If it is okayed.....the current legislature will take it up and vote it through.
      Correct. That law is dead no matter what.

Now, what SHOULD be done, is that the Governor and the Legislature should sit down like rational and civilized adults, and write a replacement law, that clearly defines the Governor's powers in times of emergency, and what criteria must be met to extend that time of emergency, should it become necessary. The original law was written to handle riot situations, or severe weather and other natural emergencies. Pandemics were not considered.

I believe the Governor SHOULD have powers to declare a state of emergency because we can't have them running about chasing down legislative leaders just to get their approval on taking care of an emergency situation. The governor needs to be able to act in the best interests of the people in the state, but they have to be prevented from using the statute to grab absolute power for an unlimited amount of time. That is what Whitmer did. She doesn't like the Republican leaders in the Legislature, and she didn't want to have to deal with them. So, she continued to base her extensions of the state of emergency on that 1945 law, which was shaky at best. Governor isn't an easy job. Its not intended to be. As governor, a person has to find a way to work with opposing parties. That would be the sign of a good governor. They don't always get everything they want, but they find a way to get most of it, and it should always be what's best for the most people in the state.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• She has a near 60% approval rating in the state for her handling of the epidemic. So *most * of the people in the state feel that she is doing what is best for them

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
          She has a near 60% approval rating in the state for her handling of the epidemic. So *most * of the people in the state feel that she is doing what is best for them
          Well, according to the unanimous decision of the Michigan Supreme Court including the Democrats on the Court, she acted outside of the law. She could have accomplished the same thing had she sat down with Republican leaders to discuss how to move forward back in April. She chose not to do that. In her opinion, she was the only one qualified to act in the best interests of the state. She was wrong. And if those 60% still choose to believe she was right, then they are wrong too.

Had I been polled back in March and April, I would (and did) have said that she was doing about the best that can be done at the time. But from the end of April onward, she played outside the lines, and she knew it. The MSC brought her back to earth. She doesn't like it, but a bit of humble pie is good for us all, every once in a while.

Comment

• Yeah, in most states you can't just declare a state of emergency and seize all power indefinitely. So, yeah....

...whether the people approve of the dictatorship is a separate question.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• If you follow social media, you would think that Whitmer is vastly unpopular in her state. I am just pointing out the fact that regardless of what a few of the louder people may say, the majority of Michiganders approve of her and her handling of COVID. Even after the decision went against her in the MSC.

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• This current legislature is way way too the right in Michigan.

Back in the beginning of April, they were making loud noises that the emergency declaration should be over.

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

If you follow social media, you would think that Whitmer is vastly unpopular in her state. I am just pointing out the fact that regardless of what a few of the louder people may say, the majority of Michiganders approve of her and her handling of COVID. Even after the decision went against her in the MSC.
                  Whitmer was elected because something like 90% of the voters in the old 313 area code which includes the Metro Detroit area and Genesee County (Flint) voted for her. In addition, a LOT of Republican voters stayed home on election day because Schutte was too closely associated with Rick Snyder and the Flint water crisis. If the election were handled today, there would be a massive outstate turnout of voters who want her gone. I can's swing a dead cat by the tail out here without hitting one of those "My Governor is an IDIOT" signs.

I said early on that she handled the situation about as well as it could be handled. In late April and early May when she decided to do all this by herself, is when she lost me. And thousands of other Michiganders.

Comment

• She still has 60% approval rating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post
                      This current legislature is way way too the right in Michigan.

Back in the beginning of April, they were making loud noises that the emergency declaration should be over.
                      The Legislature will not be to the right for very long. The Dems got their ballot initiative passed in the last election, which will allow them to re-gerrymander the voting districts back to the way they were in the 60's and 70's when they dominated Michigan politics. That new "advisory council" that will set up the new districts will be all Democrats.

Back in the beginning of April the Legislature wanted to meet with Whitmer about how to move forward, but she refused

Comment

She has a near 60% approval rating in the state for her handling of the epidemic. So *most * of the people in the state feel that she is doing what is best for them
                        That is the most ridiculous bs I've read in some time.
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

She still has 60% approval rating.
                          Proving that your state is a bunch of dumb fucks. Congrats!
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post

Proving that your state is a bunch of dumb fucks. Congrats!
                            Well they have to get "Approval ratings" from someplace. Really though, there's no way in hell that she has that high of an approval rating across the state.

Comment

• I hope for your sake it's not accurate. She's a dumb fuck of epic proportions...
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post

Well they have to get "Approval ratings" from someplace. Really though, there's no way in hell that she has that high of an approval rating across the state.
                                Exactly. You can make a poll say anything you want. Fact of the matter is, Whitmer was elected by a whopping majority of the votes from the "old 313 area code" which is basically SE Michigan including Detroit, Flint and Pontiac. Everywhere else was not so enthusiastic for her. Her Republican opponent had a personality that put him somewhere between Dan Quayle and Gilbert Gottfried. There was no way he was going to win.

If the same election were to be held today, I think outstate folks would show up in record numbers to help cancel out the SE Michigan vote. I doubt she'd win.

Comment

Working...
                                X