No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a good piece. I found a free link to it. You have to do some gymnastics involving killing your ad-blocker to get to it but it's worth a read ...... until the conclusion where the author states the administration needs a better policy on testing and tracing. Duhhh.

What is worth thinking about though is the author's hypothesis that people like me are going to think that they can take more risks as time passes and they remain uninfected. But his endpoint of that behavior - the community will suffer from that (I suppose with increasing new case numbers) I believe is flawed.

To be clear, the editorial staff of Bloomberg isn't spewing the COVID negativity, augmenting it by spinning the data to fit the NYT's (among others) dire consequences narrative so, I'm willing to listen to what their contributing writers have to say. The guy's got the right idea and it resonates with me to the extent that I am becoming less concerned about the virus the longer I'm living a pretty much normal life given restraints on it without getting infected. The differences between my response to my experience and his predicted response to it is that I will continue to take the reasonable precautions that have worked for me and kept me uninfected while at the same time increasing my scrutiny of misinterpreted COVID data points and the bad conclusions being drawn from them.

Most of those bad conclusion involve mitigation measures that result in restrictions on social and economic activity. Most of the time, they have no basis in the facts and after due time, they are proven to have higher costs than public health benefit. So, yeah, I'm adapting to to the concept that in the US we need to figure out how to live with the virus without unnecessary restrictions while improving our ability to control its spread with better testing and tracing protocols. At this point I don't care if these protocols are developed and implemented at the federal, state or local level. It just needs to happen now rather than later. This isn't hard.

https://www.twincities.com/2020/10/0...-main-problem/
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
      I wonder if Eddie is runnin' with the devil now...
      You stayed up late working on this, didn't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post

You stayed up late working on this, didn't you?
        Correct
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Comment

• Who knew that's what they meant on their jerseys...nice...
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• They're lucky they have that much viewership
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• No Brains Association
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I thought Saagar's radar summed Trump's yesterday up well here.

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• 2020 hasn't been all bad.

Sources inside and outside of ESPN say that the network is bracing for major cost cuts in 2020, including the potential layoffs of hundreds of employees.ESPN currently has about 4,

Sources inside and outside of ESPN say that the network is bracing for major cost cuts in 2020, including the potential layoffs of hundreds of employees.

ESPN currently has about 4,000 employees in Bristol, CT and another 2,500 employees in other offices across the United States and the world.

This news won’t come as any surprise to those who have been following the media business and/or Disney. NBC Universal layoffs impacted up to 10 percent of their 35,000 employees, including many at NBC Sports. CBS News was hit with layoffs in May. Fox Sports laid off 50-100 staffers in July. We could go on and on naming media organizations, both in and out of sports, who have had to slash their budgets lately.

At Disney, the parent company of ESPN, the pandemic has impacted many business operations, such as theme parks, cruises, movies and live sports. Though most sports leagues have been salvaged, there was some lost revenue in college football and other sports. As a result, Disney announced last week that it is laying off 28,000 employees.

ESPN has also been slowly transitioning away from a business model that primarily focuses on cable TV, where they have been steadily losing subscribers since 2015, to the OTT streaming future. No one yet knows how long it will take to evolve, but ESPN acknowledged the transition on Disney’s most recent earnings call.

Comment

• Saw that the NBA Finals ratings is down ~50%. That is somewhat the case with most sports in 2020.

Combination of people "cable cutting", only using streaming services (Netflix, Disney, HBO), tuning out due to political messages, and the lack of excitement without fans.

IMO: The fact that MOST people are stuck at home + ratings have dropped that much = not good.
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• So people losing there jobs is good thing?
                        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I would think people stuck at home would help ratings...but people would rather watch Lucifer on Netflix than Lucifer on the court...
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Mark Meadows was on Fox and dodged and danced to avoid answering a simple question:

When was Trump’s last negative test?

If the answer wasn’t politically damaging they would have said it everywhere by now. It’s why they won’t do contact tracing either. Wouldn’t shock me at all if he hadn’t even taken a test in the week before he started feeling bad

Comment

• A contributing factor to people losing their jobs at ESPN/Disney/ABC is their parent company is bent on imposing its political beliefs on its viewers. If you don't believe what they believe, you are a bigot.

I think most folks have tuned out of the NBA Finals because they saw it for what it is. An excuse to give LaBron another championship. That whole 'restart' was a joke from the beginning.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• It’s only been recently that ESPN really had anything to talk about. Most of the spring and summer was a complete disaster. They were broadcasting old watermelon seed spitting contests

Comment

Working...
                                X