No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also the rule requiring there be 60 votes to invoke cloture was created in 1975 by Senate Democrats under the long leadership of Mike Mansfield. It's not some sacred tradition passed down to us by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. The rules regarding filibusters have been changed many, many times, almost entirely post-1950 and almost all in the direction of "it should be easier to do a filibuster".

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

Kennedy was about the closest to a so-called "moderate" that the USSC has had in my lifetime. He had times when he sided with cons, and others when he sided with Libs. Ironic that the Dems were all 'gloom and doom' during his confirmation hearings as well.

Roberts has shown in his opinions that when he sides with the liberals, he's more comfortable on that side of the line. The few times he's sided with Cons, he seems to do so reluctantly. If the slant goes to 5 Lib justices, as I expect they will under a Kamala administration, then Roberts will be more willing to side with them and make it a solid 6-3 liberal. Gorsuch, Barrett and Kavanaugh will be the last of the conservatives.
      Roberts doesn't like blowing up precedent, especially precedent established just within the last few years, which is why he decided against the Louisiana anti-abortion bill that was virtually identical to the Texas bill he had previously vote to let stand.

Comment

• Wouldn't it be fun to see what Roberts would do with having to make a decision on New York's "up to and including live birth" abortion law?

ITS MY BODY AND MY CHOICE!!!!!
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• It would also be fun if you would STFU...
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Wings ... get on it ...
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• WIZARD- LINEY WANTED THE ATOMIC WINGS, NOT THE ATOMIC ELBOW! MY GAWD WILL HE EVER WALK AGAIN?!?!

wrestlemania iii wrestling GIF by WWE

Comment

• He was asking for it DSL...I heard an inadvertent whistle...
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Today President Trump shared an article on his Twitter account that claimed Obama had Seal Team 6 killed so that no one would ever find out that they had really only killed Osama Bin Laden's body double

And no one blinked an eye. We call it "Tuesday" in these parts.

Comment

• The "unmasking probe" is over and there will be no charges brought against anyone. The results were so disappointing to Trump that Barr won't even make the report public

Comment

• Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi is losing her mind as she brazenly plays politics with the stimulus. She was horrible on CNN — even Wolf Blitzer thinks she’s out to lunch.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi is losing her mind as she brazenly plays politics with the stimulus. She was horrible on CNN — even Wolf Blitzer thinks she’s out to lunch.
                        Yeah she was fucking awful. Wolf Blitzer is the blandest, dullest, most non-confrontational interviewer there is too.

Comment

• Yeah. He’s a fucking butter knife. No, butter spoon. He couldn’t draw blood against anyone nor does he really want to.

Comment

• And, apparently, sexual preference is a huge no-no and massively offensive.

These hearings do little to inspire any faith in legislators.

Comment

• This chart demonstrates Biden's current good position. While a number of people have pointed out that Hillary's lead in the polls was actually bigger in some states, what's more important is to look at the share of the vote Biden is receiving. Any time you're over 50% you're in really good shape and at 48-49% you've still got the advantage. 45-46 is where Hillary was in a lot of places and that's NOT generaly good enough.

In 2016 there were way, way more undecided voters and third party voters than today. I was looking yesterday and Trump won Wisconsin by 23,000 votes. In 2016, in just Milwaukee and Dane Counties, over 40,000 people voted for third party candidates.

There is always a chance the polls narrow. We're still 3 weeks out. The state polls could be wrong. But they'd have to be wrong by 2 or 3 times worse than in 2016.

EkOtZfoWAAEp-CJ?format=png&name=small.png

Comment

• Speaking of polls there was a West Virginia poll that raised some eyebrows today. Wasserman had a good thread on it.

Basically this: Trump is winning by only 14 points in a state he won by 42 points last time. This poll correctly predicted Joe Manchin would win in 2018.

On the other hand, this same poll said Trump was ahead by 18 in 2016 and he won by 42.

But on the OTHER other hand, their last poll in 2016 was in August and this one is October. So who knows?

It is relevant not for the state of WVA but because certain portions of Ohio and Western PA are indistinguishable from West Virginia. If Trump's support is significantly down in the Mountaineer State, it's likely a pattern that'll hurt him in two much more important states.

Comment

Working...
                                X