Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
    In a sign that you do not want, under any circumstances, Osoff and Warnock to win Senate seats in GA, is news that a military pay-raise that is part of the defense appropriations bill is being held up in Congress because the D's in the House have attached a requirement for renaming any US military base currently named after a Confederate soldier.

The dumbfuckery that will issue forth from a democratically controlled Congress that gets seated in January, 2021 is so stunningly dangerous as to demand the mounting of an all-hands effort to keep the two Senate seats up for grabs in GA in the hands or R's Perdue and Loeffler.

I can attest that so far, the D's are outspending and out rallying their bases by a lot. My wife who is registered to vote in GA is going to vote for these two mostly because of their ads that she sees on TV. She's oblivious to the risks if these two should grab the seats of the sitting Rs. I suspect there area lot of people like her in GA.
    Or to put this more accurately, Dems and Republicans in Congress have already agreed to rename the bases as a part of this bill and Trump is threatening to veto it unless they remove said language.

Getting rid of the Confederate names is in BOTH bills. The Senate version too. In fact, the majority of Senate Republicans are for it. Don't believe me? Here's an article from July. The Senate voted 86-14 to pass their version of the bill, which included Confederate name removal. It's been in reconciliation for a while.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...s-trump-380362

The Pentagon and Esper (before he was fired) were all for it. So let's be honest here. It's Trump and only Trump that's holding anything up.
    Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; November 20, 2020, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• Shit "reconciliation" is the wrong term, isn't it? I'm drawing a blank. What the word for when a bill bounces back between the House and Senate getting changes made? THAT has been happening for a while and they totally halted at some point because of the Election.

Comment

• Reconciliation is accurate. Representatives from both houses create a Conference Committee to have differences resolved. Once resolved, both houses then vote on the Committee's report and send to the Executive branch.
        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Believe it or not, there's still a couple million votes that haven't been counted, mainly in New York and California. In California's case it's because of the mail-in system they use, I think. In New York's case it's mind-blowing incompetence and inefficiency.

Anyways I bring it up to say that Biden's lead in the popular vote, which is just shy of 6M right now, could end up closer to 7M. Basically 2.5 times the margin Hillary won by. And Trump is likely to fall short of Romney's share of the vote, again.

Trump drives up turnout, both for AND against him. Believed to be the highest turnout election since at least 1908.

Comment

• It's not reconciliation. That's a specific term that relates to the Senate's powers to pass certain types of bills -- budget, debt ceiling -- once per year w/o need for a cloture vote. I think there's 3 or 4 categories and they can do it once for each category. The key is that it's a flilbuster-proof voted and that it's very limited in its use.

You're thinking of conference committees.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Grasping for a word for conference committee's work. Using the word reconciliation as a verb, not a noun.
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I understand. However, it has a very specific defintion in the US legislative process.

Bills are reconciled in conference committee, I guess. But reconciliation isn't that.

LEARN AMERICAN, JON!!!!!
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Resolved!
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Dipshittery at its finest...
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Hard to disagree. The Ds never have a bad idea. If it fails, it's because they just didn't spend enough or say it loud enough or everyone who disagrees with them is racist.

There's zero doubt in my mind they'd make every attempt to pack the Supreme Court and the only thing standing in the way of their naked power grab is Joe Manchin. JFC.
                      Agree. Trump should propose a constitutional amendment setting the number of Justices on the Supreme Court at nine. That would make even state politicians take a stand. It would also focus attention on the ramifications of a "packed" Court.
                      Last edited by Da Geezer; November 20, 2020, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Good luck with that.
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• DSL, understood on the technicality ........ I would argue you'd never see this kind of dumbfuckery of sending a defense appropriations bill to the Senate that requires the renaming of military bases named after Confederate soldiers if a majority of legislators had the balls to go tell the idiots sponsoring culture canceling shit like this to go fuck themselves.

There's only one reason .... ONE ...... why this was agreed upon by otherwise principled conservatives who abandoned those principles to pander to supposed aggrieved blacks. The Congress, after the mess in Minneapolis and elsewhere, after the looting and burning in several cities, got inappropriately swayed by the torrent of blind support from their constituencies for that lawlessness that ensued.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I'm with Tucker on the election. Time to show some evidence that stands up in court or STFU.
                            Last edited by Hannibal; November 20, 2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                              I'm with Tucker on the election. Time to show some evidence that stands up in court or STFU.
                              This mixup they did regarding Minnesota and Michigan is just embarrassing

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...-are-doing.php

Comment

• The entire endeavor by Trump's people to change the outcome of the presidential election is beyond embarrassing. I think we all knew that Trump was going to claim the election was fraudulent no matter what if he lost on the early declarations. What we didn't know was how utterly ridiculous the basis upon which such claims would be made were.

I noted yesterday that either lawyers were bailing in droves or hold-outs like Giuliani continued to appear in court but were being very careful not to perjure themselves before a judge, i.e., we're not alleging fraud here." .... WTF. If not then GTFO.

OTH, Giuliani had no qualms about lying out his ass to the public, making factually unsupportable claims about wide spread election fraud and illegally or otherwise legal but uncounted millions of votes for Trump. Beyond that clown show Giuliani generally appeared to be out of control ignorant.

The good news out of all of this is that US courts are standing tall and despite reports that American Democracy is in jeopardy of collapsing, on the contrary, it too is standing tall against an assault by a deviant and dangerous president trying to remain in power against the will of the American people. NEVER thought I'd see this in my lifetime.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X