No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He’s insane. The sooner President Queeg is a distant memory, the better.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I wish you were a distant memory...

AA:

Merry Christmas buddy!

Yer Pal,

The Wizard, Esq.
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• dang .. quiet in here.. what is it, Christmas vacation?

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• STFU
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The original Chicken Shack has been found.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• In a compilation of several days of COVID news, what stood out to me was how real COVID fatigue is. There are significant actions both in actual courts and courts of public opinion opposing the emergency powers granted to officials that allow restrictions to social and economic activity to prevent the spread of SAR-CoV-2. Second to that, and somewhat related, is the startling reversal of a trend that portended reluctance to be inoculated with a COVID preventative vaccine - from about 40% to as high as 70+% will take the vaccine now according to pollsters.

Bill Gates wrote an article for the Economist in response to the question what will be the lessons learned form the pandemic. He started out by writing that humanity will beat the pandemic but only when a vaccine is available to the world at large. In another part of the article, not unexpectedly because his fundations are advocates of making sure rich nations aid the poor ones with vaccine distribution, he stresses the entire population of the world has to have access to vaccines to assure victory.

He ended with the message that moving forward in the post pandemic period will be a lot like the period following WWII and his article concluded with this quote from Winston Churchill to the British people after Britain had just won its first land victory of the war. Winston Churchill declared in a speech: “This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.” I thought it apt, if not a bit less cheery than I see things.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• In the world of COVID related I told you so, we'll see the battle for acceptance of one of the two schools of thought rage: (1) Lock everything down to control the virus v. (2) Don't lock down much down at all. There's scientific fact to support both of these approaches. Even though I'm an advocate of the 2nd, I also believe that the virus can be contained by lock-downs but the best approach is highly selective ones based on, well, where the virus is actually spreading and causing disease. e.g., not in schools or shops but in private gatherings usually of more than 10 people not wearing masks or distancing and generally letting their guard down. Still, I believe congregate settings can be made safe enough by implementing layered mitigation measures as in the swiss cheese model. Not anywhere enough of this appeared in public health messaging not, in general, was there enough information on when you do gather, here's how to reduce the risk of infection.

Speaking of option (2), I accidentally came across the original source of most of Donald Trump's dismissive views of SARS-CoV-2. An article from the American Institute of Economic Research (AIER) appeared in one of my news feeds. The subject matter in the article was why schools shouldn't close and was highly critical of teacher's unions influence in decisions to close them. I thought the article was a bit too strident and one sided so, I started looking at AIER and found their funding sources included the Koch foundations. I then realized that AIER was behind the infamous Balfour Declaration that criticized all forms of economic and social restrictions and praised Sweden's approach and argued even they went too far. The Balfour declaration touts Herd Immunity and argues that's all we needed to do. Someplace in it they also say protect the vulnerable.

It was roundly criticised by people like Anthony Fauci who is by far the most prominent spokesman for the science behind lock downs. In searching for scientists and medical professionals of equal stature to Fauci but on the side of no lock-downs, I found Atlas and that's the problem with the Balfour Declaration. It was authored by crack-pots, some of whom were outed by crack-pots on the other side of the argument and famously associated with various organizations that predict the end of the world secondary to climate change. So, a bit of "kill the messenger" to dilute the value of the message. The Balfour Declaration has some good parts but not enough and AIER is too deeply influenced by people like Koch to represent a balanced view of the pandemic.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• When did Bill Gates become an authority on anything besides operating systems?

Who gives a shit what Bill Gates says about anything else?

Comment

• The Detroit Free Press' contribution to Covid "optimism"

Hint: Its not optimistic

Inside Beaumont Hospital in Farmington Hills dozens of Michiganders were hooked up to oxygen tanks, fighting the virus that came to define 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                      The original Chicken Shack has been found.https://www.reuters.com/video/watch/...?chan=8gwsyvzx
                      Dangit Jon,.. now I want chicken ...

Comment

• Bill Gates has truly spent most of the last 20 years of his life donating his time and money to these type of efforts. He knows a lot about it, although maybe not as much as internet tough guys on a message board.

Comment

• Hilarious
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            Bill Gates has truly spent most of the last 20 years of his life donating his time and money to these type of efforts. He knows a lot about it, although maybe not as much as internet tough guys on a message board.
                            So now we trust self-educated people with no particular qualifications on subjects like epidemiology and vaccinations? I thought that we only take the word of approved experts with multiple PhDs in the subject area? Bill Gates isn't even college educated.
                            Last edited by Hannibal; December 27, 2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Well, remember, there was a sly relative element in the comment -- Bill Gates knows MORE THAN YOU, INTERNET TOUGH GUY!!!!!

Really hilarious and, tbh, a perfect summation.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• That's right. If people would just "do their research" and watch hours and hours of conspiracy theory videos they would see what Bill Gates evil plan consists of and what a truly horrible person he is.

BTW, have you heard about the contrails, 5g and the rigged election? Scary shit, man...
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X