Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
    Expect them to come out guns blazing early. I'm sure they are quite invigorated and feel they have a substantial mandate (which they don't). My prediction is they overplay their hand, have some pyrrhic victories, then get whooped on good in the midterms, losing both houses. A bigger concern, to me, is the potential for administrative damage rather than legislative process that at least will need some bipartisan buy-in from time to time. Mitch is in a familiar role as Chief Obstructionist and he's pretty good at it.
    The Ds run the Administrative State, again, and it will show. Fortunately, the Supreme Court has made rule-making a little more arduous in this regard (in overturning a few PDJT rules).

But, the Administrative State is where you'll see the true AO-Kamala Agenda. The legislative process won't be particularly efficient.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

I think they'll be far closer to the fomer. I think there's almost zero chance they'll be latter and certainly not in specific terms set forth above.
      You have way too much faith in the Republican Party.

They didn't even pursue the former when they were in charge and they had electoral mandates to do so.

When you compare actual progress in the country with electoral success it's truly astounding how much the Rs have repeatedly underachieved in that regard.

Even if we get The Great Backlash of 2022, it won't lead to the repeal of anything. They will absolutely, positively never ever move the football. I know how this movie ends. No matter how unpopular, 100% of what the Dems do sticks permanently. The Democrats could impose a national mandate on puberty blockers for all children and the Republicans wouldn't overturn it.
      Last edited by Hannibal; January 6, 2021, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
        OH WHAT A GLORIOUS DAY AS JUSTICE PREVAILS AND THE REACTIONARY BASTARDS ARE FORCED TO CRAWL UNDER A ROCK TO PREVENT ANNIHILATION. A DAY THAT MAKES ONE PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!!!!!!
        So, I assume you're (partially) alive Stan? Good to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
          Republican voters don't have a party that represents their interests. That is why they finally didn't turn out. There's no point in voting for people who break their promises and stab you in the back time after time after time.... The demographic tipping point is already here....
          The tipping point was when the GOP decided that political 'wins' were more important than squaring with values. Let the Trump cultists spin off into a third party. It would be the best thing to happen to the GOP since Abraham Lincoln. I honestly believe that if the party returned to advocating smaller but responsive gov't, individual responsibility, opportunity through freedom and a whole lot less snowflake-ism, it would be the dems discussing 'what the hell do we do next?'

Politics has devolved to a point where your political position is defined by the viewpoint of your opponent rather than what is right. Obama could have offered to repeal the personal income tax and the GOP would have unanimously opposed it. It's that attitude on both sides, fanned by hyper partisan rhetoric, that is the problem. I further think that politicians actually enjoy government by combat, finding it more pleasurable than actually being productive.

Us vs them does not leave much room for we.
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post

The tipping point was when the GOP decided that political 'wins' were more important than squaring with values. Let the Trump cultists spin off into a third party. It would be the best thing to happen to the GOP since Abraham Lincoln. I honestly believe that if the party returned to advocating smaller but responsive gov't, individual responsibility, opportunity through freedom and a whole lot less snowflake-ism, it would be the dems discussing 'what the hell do we do next?'
            Us vs them does not leave much room for we.
            Republicans never followed through on promises for smaller government or individual responsibility either. The W. years saw some of the biggest expansions of government in the history of the country, and that was with six years of controlling both houses of Congress too. That window has long since closed. Libertarianism is dead and it's never coming back. We are now at a point in history where both parties are enthusiastically embracing the concept of insurance covering pre-existing conditions -- a monumentally stupid idea.

The welfare state is here to stay. The next best thing is to mitigate the damage by reducing the size of the military and closing the country's borders to everyone but the most highly skilled laborers.
            Last edited by Hannibal; January 6, 2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• One guy who looks promising right now is Ron Desantis. We'll see how the next few years goes but early returns are very positive.

Comment

• Comment

• Can’t imagine a couple thousand people is what Trump envisioned for his big “Overturn the Results” rally

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                    Can’t imagine a couple thousand people is what Trump envisioned for his big “Overturn the Results” rally
                    There's well over an order of magnitude more than that already.

Comment

• You must be seeing a different camera angle than I am

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                        You must be seeing a different camera angle than I am
                        Maybe.

I'm not an expert in counting people based on photographs, but that looks like well over 10,000 people to me, and that was two hours ago.

The Million MAGA March drew something like 200,000 and Trump didn't even show up for it.

Comment

• Fair enough. The camera shot I saw was only the area immediately near the stage

Comment

• What they will do is revert back to the party of John McCain and Mitt Romney. Their soul searching will lead them to the conclusion that they lost the Georgia Senate seats because they didn't kneel hard enough for Black Lives Matter. Since this strategy never works, they will enter an endless cycle of cucking and then insisting that they lost because they didn't cuck hard enough.
                            Absolutely true. This is a great day for Mitt and McCain supporters, and even to most Bush supporters as well. There should be lots of smiles on their faces as they go about their business today. Their goal of becoming the junior version of the Democratic Party is being realized. They pander to people of conservative persuasion, only to leave them behind, when it hits them in the political pocket.

So maybe they're going to create jobs by hiring people to build the re-education centers, or the detention centers for those who refuse to be vaccinated.
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Very happy to be eating crow, the polls look like they nailed it

1. There will be no 3rd party split off of the GOP, Trumpists have all the energy and they have Fox News, Newsmax and OANN to continue that. If there was a split the non-Trumpist faction would be tiny. Until the media organs of the right start challenging a lot of this nonsense, the Trumpists will get over. There is no real reason for this to happen when Fox News is the mainstream media making the most money by far. You can even see it in here with the ridiculous Kamala 25th amendment! nonsense. It has thoroughly permeated the right.

2. Like I said before, having the Senate by a whisker allows Biden to do things that he wouldn't be able to do, but it will certainly be incremental stuff. He'll get his Cabinet picks through, they will do stuff through reconciliation, Breyer can retire. His main thrust is getting COVID under control and he will be a big positive over whatever the fuck Trump was doing on it.

3. Donald Trump was as bad or worse than any of those senate candidates like Akin or O'Donnell, these days those candidates might win, the GOP electorate has thoroughly changed to the point where candidates are kind of expected to be like that. Lauren Bobert and Majorie Taylor Greene are the future of the GOP. Tommy Fucking Tuberville is a senator for cripes sakes. The small segment that vote for the GOP but aren't Trumpers aren't going to have much say.

Comment

• Trumpists don't have Fox News. They have Newsmax and OANN but they aren't on TV and they are getting censored from social media.

Comment

Working...
                                X