Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump was just impeached again.

9 Republicans.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Check that. Now 10 Republicans.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The circus has begun...
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          And this should go without saying, but the problem with Twitter/Parler/etc is that they are private actors. They aren't otherwise subject to the 1st A. However, they are functioning in an important public discourse role. This is a way around that.
          I disagree. The Supreme Court has long held that the government may not induce private companies to do that which is unconstitutional for the government to do.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/save-th...ch-11610387105.

Think of the Ambassador Bridge, a privately owned bridge. Its owners have been granted liability protection and other inducements by the government (s) to induce them to build and maintain the bridge. The Ambassador Bridge Company cannot suddenly stop Canadian citizens from using the bridge just because the US and Canada are in a trade dispute. There is an implied contract and detrimental reliance.

Further, what the Tech Giants did to Parler is a classic violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act. Google, Apple, Facebook, and Twitter, acting in unison, de-platformed Parler BECAUSE it was the # 1 app at the Apple App Store and some of the 88 million followers of Pres. Trump on Twitter were moving to a competing app that had offered an open internet. I suppose it turns on the "terms of service" agreement, but some Dem censors working for Facebook or Twitter cannot unilaterally change from #openInternet to "controlled publisher". Nor can they ban Parlor for some transgressions they assume MAY happen in the future (e.g. President Trump expressing his opinions).

Anyone here want to take the position that Apple, Alphabet (Google), Twitter, and Facebook, acting in unison, are not a "combination in restraint of trade" in their actions toward Parler?
          Last edited by Da Geezer; January 13, 2021, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
            The circus has begun...
            No, my friend. It began in 2016 and has never stopped.

They're going to carry this thing all the way into 2024, minimum.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• 232 yea-197 nay (5 NV). 1 D didn’t vote and 4 R’s didn’t.

10 Republicans voted “yea”.

For “incitement of insurrection”.

Most know I am not a republican. I’m a fiscal conservative and a pro 2ndA social liberal. I never liked Trump. Twitter may have helped to get him elected but I think it caused him much more net harm. Anyway. I read what he wrote. If that is inciting an insurrection, then Maxine Waters, and Nancy Pelosi and a bunch of others are in danger.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

No, my friend. It began in 2016 and has never stopped.

They're going to carry this thing all the way into 2024, minimum.
                Ok...fair enough...now it's a psycho circus...
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                  232 yea-197 nay (5 NV). 1 D didn’t vote and 4 R’s didn’t.

Most know I am not a republican. I’m a fiscal conservative and a pro 2ndA social liberal. I never liked Trump. Twitter may have helped to get him elected but I think it caused him much more net harm. Anyway. I read what he wrote. If that is inciting an insurrection, then Maxine Waters, and Nancy Pelosi and a bunch of others are in danger.
                  Shit like this is why in 2008 I switched to the Libertarian Party...fuck both parties...in reality we have a one party system...
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• not that it matters

but from a practical viewpoint how can you charge somebody with inciting a riot if it started 40 minutes before you finished your speech and 45 minutes away from where you are to boot

His issue from middle america is he didnt do anything immediatelly to stop it at least not enough
                    Last edited by crashcourse; January 13, 2021, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• The Libertarian Party, Wiz, is filled with children whose only real plank is pot smoking.

It would be great if there was a real 3rd party.

Comment

• there probably will be

unfortunately it will be a split of the repubs though

Comment

• I disagree. The Supreme Court has long held that the government may not induce private companies to do that which is unconstitutional for the government to do.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/save-th...ch-11610387105.
                          That case and the proposition of law support what I'm saying.
                          Last edited by iam416; January 13, 2021, 04:56 PM.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

232 yea-197 nay (5 NV). 1 D didn’t vote and 4 R’s didn’t.

Yeah, we're really into pretty terrible precedent areas.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

The Libertarian Party, Wiz, is filled with children whose only real plank is pot smoking.

It would be great if there was a real 3rd party.
                              Agreed. But I would rather be there than associated with the GOP or the Fuckstains...
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• WH preparing to release video statement by Trump.
                                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X