No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And, again, the Dr. Seuss thing didn't fall out of the sky. Academics have worked on canceling Dr. Seuss for awhile and, eventually, it goes mainstream. So mainstream, in fact, that Biden refused to mentioned Dr. Seuss on National Read Across America day -- a day chosen because it is Dr. Seuss' birthday.

At some point DSL may actually recognize that this is real instead of some sort of conservative bogeyman.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      I rather enjoy DSL's continual defense of the Woke.
      I knew you'd be the first to comment. And glad you enjoyed the article, snowflake.

Comment

• This is, perhaps, the scariest of the Woke movements that DSL so applauds -- the notion that STEM (science and math) are racist. A Princeton professor expresses his concerns: https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/the...-as-white-math

What we learn is that getting the right answer and showing your work are white supremacy ideas and that math as an objective field is "unequivocally false." The post expresses roughly the same sentiment I have -- I wish I could wave this off as frivolous fringe nonsense, but anyone who is paying attention knows it's not. The backers of this "education" plan are real and significant. This isn't going away. Until bridges start collapsing because expecting right answers is racist.

Again, I wish this were a parody in the Babylon Bee, but it's real and it's coming no matter how much Strangelove wants to ignore it, ridicule those who express concern and pooh-pooh any opining that's it's something other than a few nutjobs espousing nonsense.

Comment

• I'm chortling over the frequently entertaining dialogue between Talent and DSL......in COVID news, "things are bad and getting worse" ........lead story in my NYTs news feed this morning was BRAZIL STRUGGLING WITH COVID EXPLOSION FROM THE BRAZILLIAN VARIANT. Sao Palo was locked down and the Brazilian PM, Jair Bolsonaro is calling that an over-reaction. I'd probably agree but what do I know. Bolsonaro has been more Trump like than Trump himself at the peak of his pandemic denials.

Recent news has also focused on the slow pace of the EU's vaccine program, Sweden's reversal of its "herd immunity" policy (that's not what happened or is happening but, whatever), worries about word that the J&J vaccine is being refused because it's only 66% effective (you should know that's BS and that vaccine efficacy data is widely misunderstood) and that stupid people are holding out for the better stuff. All of this bad news should not be unexpected as news in the US (aside from the Fauci and Walenski and now Biden non-sense) has been pretty good both on the vaccine front and on control of the virus. BUT WAIT ...... things are not getting better here at home. They're not?

Yes, they are. According to today's JHU numbers less than a tenth of US states have upward trends in new case numbers (this is the JHU way of displaying R(0). My favorite site that was computing real time R(t) has stopped doing it and links you to sites that still are - in their own way - like JHU. The greener the background the steeper the decreasing case numbers trend lines, the redder the background the steeper the increasing trend lines:

JHU Trends.JPG

Although I liked the way the site I had been using displayed R(t) and rates, this will do. JHU is only publishing trends in deaths and hospitalizations, like most trackers, on a weekly basis so, the current distinctly downward trend lines lag at least two weeks. Next Mondays JHU trends will be interesting. Hope they continue downward so I can launch the middle finger at Fauci and Walenski and then clap loudly for Abbott.

But, who knows. I'm not confident I'll be able to do that. It's going to take another 30-45d for the vaccine impact to start really beating these critical trend lines (deaths and hospitalizations) down. The FL PH web site is pretty current: State positivity between 5-6% (that's decent), ED visits for ILI and CLI all steeply down, deaths and hospitalizations continuing down ...... new case numbers (as you know I consider them to be worthless out of context) continue to be well below January's peaks (around 19k daily in January now down to around 7K).

We'll see how things go. I remain encouraged although that's hard given the news from the MSM and even the "experts."
          Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; March 4, 2021, 01:30 PM.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            I rather enjoy DSL's continual defense of the Woke.
            Right up there with watching those Wokes hang themselves with the ropes they've been pulling at for the last 4 years.

Comment

• fuckin' neanderthal Texas
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Again, I wish this were a parody in the Babylon Bee, but it's real and it's coming no matter how much Strangelove wants to ignore it, ridicule those who express concern and pooh-pooh any opining that's it's something other than a few nutjobs espousing nonsense.
                Meanwhile, intelligence being made available to Capitol police indicates there might be right wing extremist group violence there this week. Pelosi adjourns the House for safety reasons.

Protesting from the right warranted? I might be joining them ...... peacefully of course.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

Meanwhile, intelligence being made available to Capitol police indicates there might be right wing extremist group violence there this week. Pelosi adjourns the House for safety reasons.

Protesting from the right warranted? I might be joining them ...... peacefully of course.
                  Let's compromise. Conservatives can call the spud MISTER Potato Head again and liberals get a $12 minimum wage. Seems fair and equitable. Each side gets what they care most about.

Oh and the fears about violence today through Saturday are almost certainly way overhyped. Yes, there's been lots of chatter about March 4 being the "big day", but most anyone who was actually going to act out did so Jan 6 and could be under arrest already.

Plus Trump has no Twitter account to activate them. Heh.
                  Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; March 4, 2021, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• From NPR:

Dr. Seuss Books Can Be Racist, But Students Keep Reading Them

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...-put-them-down

Looking Again At A Doctor's Old Rhymes, Seuss Works Haven't Kept Up With The Times

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/02/97297...with-the-times

NPR's 100 Best Songs of 2020, #1: Cardi B (feat. Megan Thee Stallion) "WAP"

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/03/93463...edium=internal

"To no one's surprise, a pair of women honoring their own ladyparts and the pleasures they dish out and expect returned in spades drew the ire of the insecure, of zealots and moral grandstanders."

A sample of the lyrics for the unfamiliar, lol:

I said, certified freak
                    Seven days a week
                    Wet-ass pussy
                    Make that pull-out game weak, woo (ah)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
                    Yeah, you fucking with some wet-ass pussy
                    Bring a bucket and a mop for this wet-ass pussy
                    Give me everything you got for this wet-ass pussy
                    Beat it up, nigga, catch a charge
                    Extra large and extra hard
                    Put this pussy right in your face
                    Swipe your nose like a credit card

The kids are gonna love it. Just don't read them Dr. Seuss books.

Comment

• I wish The Grinch would shove a trident up DSL's woke arse...
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                        I wish The Grinch would shove a trident up DSL's woke arse...
                        I wish your grandkids would force you to watch the live-action Jim Carey "Grinch"...

Comment

• NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! YOU JUST CROSSED THE LINE YOU SAVAGE!!
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Meanwhile, intelligence being made available to Capitol police indicates there might be right wing extremist group violence there this week. Pelosi adjourns the House for safety reasons.
                            If I were a member of a "right wing extremist group", I'd be sitting here in Shiawassee County Michigan laughing my arse off, at how scared Nancy is of little old me. She's willing to stop her "forward moving government" over some non-existent bogeyman who might show up in DC and say some bad things.

So deploy the National Guard, make them sleep in a parking garage, give them rotten food so they get food poisoning, and then start some congressional hearings on the dangers of the white extremism in the US. Pat yourself on the back, jump on your private jet, and head back to California, and look over the record homeless population, and talk about what a great job you've done. Oh, and get your hair done so you can attend the "We Love Newsome" rally.

You da gal, Nance!!!
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Expect them to milk the "right wing extremist" threat for every last ounce that they can.

Comment

• The seeming parody continues. eBay will remove all offensive Dr. Seuss titles: https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...utm_term=first

Of course, as the blog entry notes, eBay will still allow numerous other titles of notes to be sold. Strangelove applauds.

Comment

Working...
                                X