No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you want an entirely skills-based immigration system then the main group you'd be cutting out is Latinos. They represent the overwhelming majority of the illegal immigrants and family-based immigrants coming into America.

You would not impact Sub-saharan Africans, the Middle East, or Asia as much as maybe some here think nor would that boost European immigration either. The majority of our Euro immigrants aren't skilled engineers coming from Switzerland, Sweden, or France. They're more likely to be a slivo bootlegger from Prjkjyviikyvic, Kosovo.

Yeah, some African refugees get resettled here, but the total number of refugees, worldwide, was only 30,000 in 2019. That's a drop in the bucket compared with family-based or work-based immigration. I believe most of the Africans who otherwise come here are skill-based. I've pointed out Nigerians as an exceptional case in the past; they have one of the highest economic statuses of ANY specific group. An interesting sidenote about African immigrants; 74% of them speak English. That's nearly the same as our European immigrants (75%).

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-s-immigrants/

Comment

• Any merit-based system will have a few people who represent the outliers. Just like college admissions. But if you base immigration on merit, or, more specifically, your ability to be a net contributor to the economic system instead of a net drain, then your system will overwhelmingly favor countries with strong GDPs and high literacy rates. And those countries are almost exclusively European, Australia, and Canadia. It's not hypothetical. Before Hart-Cellar, that's exactly what our immigration looked like.

Our immigration right now is not based on merit, even in the slightest respect. It is based off of who votes Democrat, because the Hart-Cellar act specifically designed it that way. It also favors people who arrive here illegally, which means that, by definition, you are going to get tons of people who are predisposed to breaking the law. It is not based on who can pragmatically add value to the United States, but based more on a humanitarian argument that it is our moral duty to become the world's feeding trough. At least that's the intellectually honest justification for it. Some people try to justify third world immigration with the argument that we need those people to fund Social Security, but those arguments ignore the fact that people who earn at or near minimum wage do not pay Federal income taxes, and then who pays their Social Security in 50 years? More new immigrants? That's a Ponzi scheme.

Any merit-based system will have far fewer immigrants, period, because most people worldwide don't add any economic value by moving from one country to another.
      Last edited by Hannibal; March 18, 2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Immigrants that have to travel overseas are going to way more likely to be net contributors. As DSL notes, Nigerians are gold because, well, you gotta have money to send someone to the US.I'd assume that's also why Asian immigrants tend to be more skilled than other groups.

And, FTR, I'm fine with unskilled immigration. We can adjust the numbers on the margins -- which is pretty much what Obama then PDJT and shortly Biden will do. They specified caps aren't the problem. The problem is the asylum seekers and unaccompanied children issue. I'm basically on board with the PDJT policy re these issues. And it's clear why the Ds are not -- for the express reasons stated by Hannibal. This isn't some sort of mystery.

The biggest problem I have is that this isn't 1840 or 1915 or 1930. This isn't a situation where you come to the country and sink or swim. This is a situation where you come to the country and swim or get government assistance. I think it's extremely problematic to allow for open borders, which the Ds are pretty close to pushing since they have almost no interest in enforcing any laws, and then provide welfare state subsidies.

That's the issue. I don't care about the voting issue, although I think it clearly drives the issue. I care more about the intake of liaibility without any real justification other than they are poor.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• My daughter lives in Lausanne Switzerland and is married to an Italian. By virtue of her marriage to a natural EU citizen from Italy, she carries an EU passport.... but not a Swiss one, yet. The Swiss have the most restrictive immigration regulations in the world. They are not a member state of the EU. Unemployment does not exist and a lot of that has to do with a well designed social welfare program that is expensive and is paid for by taxation of Swiss citizen's income. Recipeints of unemployment benefits are retrained and work. Tax rates are high by US standards. There are no immigrant crime problems like there are in neighboring France, no terrorist threats from immigrant Islamists, welcomed in France for "humanitarian" reasons. Policing is hard-ass. Little crimes are aggressively prosecuted not over-looked which seems to prevent more serious ones from being problematic. While she's still a US citizen, there is no way she'll return to the crime ridden, immigrant cess-pool the US is as a result of decades of liberalism permeating every aspect of US culture and society.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            Immigrants that have to travel overseas are going to way more likely to be net contributors. As DSL notes, Nigerians are gold because, well, you gotta have money to send someone to the US.I'd assume that's also why Asian immigrants tend to be more skilled than other groups.
            Eh Highly debatable. There are now massive and well-funded NGOs that fund third world immigration via sea. You don't need money to get here anymore. Or at least you don't need money to get from Africa to Europe. It's less of a factor for us because our illegal immigration problem is more land-based.

Comment

• Ahhhh the modern Dems...where intentions mean everything and results are meaningless...where assigning blame has become a sport...where dividing Anericans is a noble cause....where the Constitution has become toilet paper...where censorship of the rival party is glorified...where hard working Americans are villified...
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Jeff- How many Swiss people has she met that are eager to move to the United States? It sounds like they are quite happy with the social welfare state that they have that was bought and paid for by laundering Nazi gold stolen from millions of dead Jews.

Anyhow, this is the problem with what Hanni is claiming. Skilled Europeans and white Australians generally aren't interested in leaving their home countries for America. Or the Japanese for that matter. No immigration system where all countries are on equal footing is going to generate an outcome where Europeans will outnumber Africa+Asia+Latin America unless you intentionally discriminate based upon race. The only way you get the strongly European outcome is if you deliberately lower the standards for European immigrants to allow in any deadbeat heading right for the welfare line AND/OR you further restrict the numbers from the non-white countries.

A skilled Nigerian doctor simply has more incentive to leave his homeland for a better way of life than a French doctor does.
                Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; March 18, 2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• A country with a low GDP per capita and piss poor literacy rates is going to produce far fewer immigrants that can function the USA. Yes there will be more incentives for them to leave. There will also be far fewer of them capable if doing so. An immigration policy based on merit will look like the Harvard freshman class, circa 1950.

This isn’t hypothetical. Pre Great Society and pre Hart Celler, 75% of our immigrants came from Europe. Now it’s something like 10%.
                  Last edited by Hannibal; March 18, 2021, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Immigration between 1920 and 1965 wasn't merit based. It was intentionally discriminatory, not just against non-whites but also against Catholics, Jews, and all Eastern Europe really. The immigration model for the United States, as late as the mid-60's, was still using the 1890 census as the model for what the country should look like demographically.

Why did the people designing America's first national immigration system between 1920 and 1924 think the quotas should be based on 1890 and not something more contemporary? Because the vast majority of America's Italians, Czechs, Poles, Russians, Hungarians, Romanians, Serbs, Greeks, and Jews all came in after 1890. The first national system of restrictions was a direct response to the waves of non-Protestant, non-western Europeans arriving.

Comment

• It may not have been perfectly merit-based, but it was infinitely closer to the concept than what we have now. It was also a fairly broad spectrum of Europeans, and not just English and Germans. And if we ever change to a merit-based policy (I'm not holding my breath), then our immigration demographics are going to look much closer to our 1960 immigration demographics than our 2020 immigration demographics.

At any rate, let me know when our immigration policy is making the tough choices about whether to accept the Nigerian doctor or the English doctor and we can have this discussion in more detail. Right now the debate is about how racist it is to not want our country to get a complete demographic makeover via third world immigration.
                      Last edited by Hannibal; March 18, 2021, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• I believe the most important purpose the Ds have for flagrantly violating current immigration law is to "flip" the state of Texas. Having many more voters who want to live off others' work is a secondary benefit to them. But if Texas went blue, the Ds would have 257 solid D electoral votes for President. The President controls the federal bureaucracy, and the federal bureaucracy makes the laws that all of us have to follow.

Comment

• DING DING!! WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• dont forget about arizpna

were setting up campsites as you speak

https://tucson.com/news/local/feds-s...251d98b24.html

I dont know what it is about this race thing --I spent 40 years working in the military then the government

all ive ever seen is a just a few individualls using their race to try to either protect themselves from bad stuff happening or why they didnt get the job or the bonus. Today its rampant--everyone is using the race card

I've never seen as a whole--asians or native americans or even hispanics use their race as a weapon

but you have a loon with a sexual addiction who confessed he killed for his sexual addictiive behavior supposedly --a motive we all have see with other mass killing perverts

Yet the people of color are yet again blaming white supremicy and race from the vice president on down

Im not denying there arent some fringe bigots out there.

But the main problem today is one race/one party is driving a wedge in race relations. critical race theroy is brainwashing our kids, the media is brainwashing the anybody with a social account. Throw in the white guilt folks and soon it wont be the content of your charactar that determines where you go in life. Its how much of a suckup do you want to be to the cancel culture

had me thinking about when carlson was interviewing the Elsalvadorean president about immigration. He was answering carlsons question about why people move for two reasons--economics and security. pretty much the entire reason we have a hundredthousand a month headed our way oif not more

But it can work both ways too

I can see aday where middle and upper class middle america bearing the the brunt and guilt of whats happening says enough of this shit--maybe its time to look at moving to costa rica/or panama/or even elsalvador--where its actually a lot safer then a;lmost every big city in america

Comment

• FFS. A person has to be a U S citizen to vote.

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Are you familiar with the phrase “pathway to citizenship”?
                                Last edited by Mike; March 18, 2021, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X