No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In COVID news, you're going to continue to hear "bad" news. In fact, a recent study published in the NYTs yesterday found that 89% of the MSM's reporting on COVID was negative compared to a generally positive or neutral bias in Scientific and Medical Journals over the same time period.
    NFW. No, seriously -- this can't be true. It's almost like The Media has an agenda.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Yeah like those examples are analogous to the current situation.

Tell me specifically what Joe Biden did raise gas prices.

Comment

• Countries to visit that are indescribably beautiful:

1. Switzerland. Any of the little villages alongside the Alps. Just gorgeous. Especially, Grindelwald and Interlaken.

2. Italy. The Amalfi Coast to Tuscany drive (with a few day’s stopover in Rome) is amazing. With enough time, ending in Venice.

3. Northern England/Southern Scotland countryside. York is a town that doesn’t get enough love. That whole area is really nice. End up in Edinburgh, which is a fun, historical city.

4. Banff. This is an even better trip if you work Glacier into your travel - and you don’t even have to leave North America.

5. Rural Japan. Tokyo is a blast, but don’t sleep on the more rural prefectures. Hokkaido, Kyoto, and Kanagawa really have to be worked in to a trip to Japan.
        Last edited by AlabamAlum; March 26, 2021, 09:17 AM.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• We've already detailed how Chairman Joe was brazenly lying about the border situation. Fortunately, as noted, the glaringly overt double standard from The Media has spared him and, of course, will ignore his lies.

But, man, his lies on the filibuster are just as brazen. Charles Cooke just fucking nails him. https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...tm_term=second

The Media, of course, will not cover it. Democracy dies in darkness. LMMFAO.

Comment

• This is pretty much the Prog playbook in a nutshell. Pass some ridiculous stupid bill giving the federal government wholesale power over shit they shouldn't have power over (in this case, dictating the specifics of local and state elections including, e.g., prohibiting voter ID...jfc). Then call anyone racist who opposes the bill. https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...-joe-manchin/y,

That's it. That's the playbook. They have utterly no ability, desire and, thanks to The Media, need to defend their policies on substance. RACIST!!!!

Ds gonna D.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
              There was a simile in one WSJ comment section that received a tremendous number of likes from both parties this morning:

Watching the press ask Biden questions is like watching a group of adults try to help a small child win a game of Monopoly and still failing.
              I didn't see it so it may have indeed been bad, but the media has had bad days before. I don't know if you know about this so I supplied the link.

Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
              I keep hearing rumors about Dominion Resources as a producer of vote-counting machines. I tried to google it, but any real information has been edited. Is it possible that a counting machine can be programmed to switch Trump votes to Biden votes?
              The media fooled you man

WASHINGTON (AP) — Dominion Voting Systems filed a $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News on Friday, arguing the cable news giant falsely claimed in an effort to boost faltering ratings...

Comment

• Good luck with that.
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Jim Geraghty crushes Biden on his disinformation and, of course, the utter lack of accountability/free pass he gets to enjoy. https://www.nationalreview.com/the-m...mation-police/

It's astounding.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    Well, look -- one or another we're going to find out how much money we can just print. Biden ain't slowing down. If you believe we can just print money forever without cost, then he's your guy.

Now, I can't say where the line is because I just don't know enough about it, but it seems like we're getting close to it.

But, what do I care about inflation. It's regressive. Much like a minimum wage increase, the poor folks pay for it.
                    It doesn't seem like we are close, the Fed has had a very modest inflation target for decades that it can't even hit. Basically the biggest change in the Fed is they are going to take an average over quarters of the inflation target before changing tact.

If you get some modest inflation that means you are starting to get wage growth that also helps everyone. Trump was arguing for this for 4 years in different terms but he was explicitly demanding the printing presses be turned on and no Trumpers complained. Wage growth was starting to grow the few months before the pandemic hit.

If inflation does get to be an issue, then the Fed can takes steps to raise rates.

Comment

• Again, you may be right. I just don't know enough to say where the line is.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

Tell me specifically what Joe Biden did raise gas prices.
                        I'm just pointing out that when the government prints a bunch of pieces of paper with our Presidents' pictures on them, you need to exchange more of those pieces of paper to obtain something of value. But nothing of value is actually created. Ever. Our government has printed massive amounts of paper in the past year. Not-so-coincidentally, food prices are up substantially year-over-year (February results). Gasoline is up 10% or so, year-over-year, despite slightly lower demand. The P/E ratio of the S&P 500 is up about 40% year-over-year. Bitcoin is about 8 times higher than it was a year ago. The new money supply went into the financial markets and inflated those values. (yay for me. I spent some of my wealth redistribution money on a new car last year). it also massively inflated the cost of critical household consumables, to the tune of double digits for food and gasoline. That's Jimmy Carter era level inflation on those goods. Try telling somebody without a huge 401K who lost their small business and is now paying more for food and energy what a wonderful tool the money printing machine is.
                        Last edited by Hannibal; March 26, 2021, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• The US Government...world's biggest counterfeiter...
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Hanni, where'd that Food Price Index you posted come from? I'm not saying it's wrong, but it seems to contradict what I found from the BLS which says food prices overall increased 3.9% in 2020. Break it down by category and Meat saw the sharpest increase: 4.6%

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2021/co...-in-review.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

I'm just pointing out that when the government prints a bunch of pieces of paper with our Presidents' pictures on them, you need to exchange more of those pieces of paper to obtain something of value. But nothing of value is actually created. Ever. Our government has printed massive amounts of paper in the past year. Not-so-coincidentally, food prices are up substantially year-over-year (February results). Gasoline is up 10% or so, year-over-year, despite slightly lower demand. The P/E ratio of the S&P 500 is up about 40% year-over-year. Bitcoin is about 8 times higher than it was a year ago. The new money supply went into the financial markets and inflated those values. (yay for me. I spent some of my wealth redistribution money on a new car last year). it also massively inflated the cost of critical household consumables, to the tune of double digits for food and gasoline. That's Jimmy Carter era level inflation on those goods. Try telling somebody without a huge 401K who lost their small business and is now paying more for food and energy what a wonderful tool the money printing machine is.
                              We had a giant supply shock in food directly because of the pandemic, is that not important? For a few months you could go into a store and find bare shelves especially in the meat department. That certainly wasn't because of the CARES act or Covidbus or this latest stimulus. You had limits on how much hamburger and steaks you could buy. I may be wrong but I don't think it was because people said, "Thanks Daddy Trump for the money, I'm going to chow on hamburgers."

I mean you were the one bellyaching about the worst financial crisis since the great depression, when you have that kind of problem you need some good old Keynesian economics to come to the rescue.

Comment

• We certainly didn't need $1.9T more of "additional" rescue. That's for damn sure. But, Keynesians print money without a care. I don't know when we'll get to the line, but I have no doubt we will get there. And probably pretty soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X