No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty hard to argue with any of this OpEd re the Racism of the Woke Left: https://www.newsweek.com/woke-racism...pinion-1589071

Ds gonna D, man.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Are you even out of your pajamas yet, you poltroon?

Comment

• Wow, jobs report is a huge miss. How do so many predictions get it that wrong? How's it so different from the ADP report? Yikes

Welp, anyone that thought rates would be going up sooner than expected, think again.

Comment

• Honestly, we're probably at a point were the people who were working and aren't -- they make more money NOT working. I realize that Ds don't generally buy into people making rational, incentive-based decisions, but they do. And if you can make as much on unemployment (or more) than you can working, well, that's an easy decision.

Comment

• And, of course, urban areas, especially in D states, are still largely shut down. So, even if restaurant workers could make more than the checks Trillion Dollar Joe is writing them, their jobs may not be back.

I'm way more curious about the inflation numbers in a week or so. April was not good, but that's one month. Two months in a row would be a concern. But, I've been assured that inflation is largely easter bunny talk. So, fingers crossed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              Wow, jobs report is a huge miss. How do so many predictions get it that wrong? How's it so different from the ADP report? Yikes

Welp, anyone that thought rates would be going up sooner than expected, think again.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/06/stoc...bs-report.html
              from the article:

The Labor Department said nonfarm payrolls increased by just 266,000 in April, far less than the 1 million total economists were expecting, according to Dow Jones.

The unemployment rate rose to 6.1% last month amid an escalating shortage of available workers, higher than an expectation of 5.8%. Meanwhile, March’s originally estimated total of 916,000 was revised down to 770,000.

This is, once again, static scoring. The assumption is that the unemployed are looking for work, which is patently untrue in the real world. You pay people an additional $ 15.00 per hour ($ 600/week) and they stay home. Even when this drops to $ 300.00/week extra, there is still no incentive to go back to work. A .3% miss in expected unemployment is not good news. Does it seem to you that the "adjustments" after the first report are almost always negative outcomes (no matter the administration)?

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                Pretty hard to argue with any of this OpEd re the Racism of the Woke Left: https://www.newsweek.com/woke-racism...pinion-1589071

Ds gonna D, man.
                I read this yesterday, thanks for linking it here. I almost fell out of my chair when I got to the part about California doing away with calculus in high school. It was so shocking I had to look it up to make sure the author wasn't spinning a mole hill into a mountain. Hell, it's even worse! They won't group kids together by ability and there will be no algebra for 8th graders. These people aren't fit to run a lemonade stand, yet this poisonous ideology has become the platform of the democratic party. Biden's new Education Secretary is fully on board with CRT. This is the type of nonsense that the feds are ready to export to every state in the country. The mid-terms can't get here soon enough.

This is why the Republicans need an actual leader, not the orange retard. There's a huge swath of voters that reject both this woke bullshit AND the "stolen election" temper tantrum from everyone's favorite president. He already cost the Rs the senate and instead of jettisoning him to the dustbin of history, they are doubling down on their devotion to their cheeto god. He may drive turnout of the R base but he also drives it for the other side, too. The absolute LAST thing we need is for 2022 to be another referendum on Trump. We just had that.

Comment

And, of course, urban areas, especially in D states, are still largely shut down. So, even if restaurant workers could make more than the checks Trillion Dollar Joe is writing them, their jobs may not be back.

I'm way more curious about the inflation numbers in a week or so. April was not good, but that's one month. Two months in a row would be a concern. But, I've been assured that inflation is largely easter bunny talk. So, fingers crossed.
                  Yup.

Inflation is a tax that hits mainly working people. The Woke Overlords don't care and the welfare recipients don't either. And there you have the vast majority of Democrats, and 52% of the population.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                    Hahahaha. OK.

You all believe what you want to believe. Even if it is bullshit
                    Just reporting the facts. Have you tried to "dimple" a chad with only one vote card in the little box? Use your common sense about it; enough pressure to dimple a chad has to have a backing in order to not break off. And remember the number of voting boxes that were found in the trunks of cars in the SE part of the state.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

from the article:

The Labor Department said nonfarm payrolls increased by just 266,000 in April, far less than the 1 million total economists were expecting, according to Dow Jones.

The unemployment rate rose to 6.1% last month amid an escalating shortage of available workers, higher than an expectation of 5.8%. Meanwhile, March’s originally estimated total of 916,000 was revised down to 770,000.

This is, once again, static scoring. The assumption is that the unemployed are looking for work, which is patently untrue in the real world. You pay people an additional $ 15.00 per hour ($ 600/week) and they stay home. Even when this drops to $ 300.00/week extra, there is still no incentive to go back to work. A .3% miss in expected unemployment is not good news. Does it seem to you that the "adjustments" after the first report are almost always negative outcomes (no matter the administration)?
                      I'm not sure I've seen a report be this far off from the expectations though. ADP's number was off too by 500,000. They supposedly get their info directly from employers.

Talent is correct that in a lot of big cities, there's still no job to return to for a lot of restaurant workers (food service reportedly is still double digit unemployment). But you would think that would be figured into the estimates.

I believe all pandemic unemployment assistance ends in September.

Continuing jobless claims did tick up this week but overall the trend has been downwards

Continuing Jobless Claims in the United States increased to 1812 thousand in the week ending April 6 of 2024 from 1810 thousand in the previous week. This page provides the latest reported value for - United States Continuing Jobless Claims - plus previous releases, historical high and low, short-term forecast and long-term prediction, economic calendar, survey consensus and news.

Comment

Honestly, we're probably at a point were the people who were working and aren't -- they make more money NOT working. I realize that Ds don't generally buy into people making rational, incentive-based decisions, but they do. And if you can make as much on unemployment (or more) than you can working, well, that's an easy decision.
                        This is why my lawn waste hasn't been picked up for two weeks. According to the Republic website, there is a nationwide shortage of truck drivers and they are prioritizing trash and recycling pickup. They'll get to it when they get to it, basically. Those are jobs that don't involve any Covid risk as you are alone in a vehicle and I presume they pay a "living wage". So why, when the unemployment rate is double what it was pre-Covid, can't they find people to do it? It's never been a problem in the past.

Comment

• Another real world example of wokism run amok: I have a family member who is a police chief in a suburban Illinois town. They have been instructed to not chase suspects on foot. I'm guessing it may be a result of the Adam Toledo shooting in Chicago but I don't know for sure. Lightfoot said she would be reviewing/revising police procedure for foot chases in Chicago and others may be following suit. So now, at least in this particular town, if you run from the police they just have to watch you go. As this officer said, " the ones who run away are the exact ones you want to catch". I can't wait to see how this affects crime rates! I'm guessing it will drop, right?

Comment

• I've been reading about the "shortage of truck drivers." Well, ask Linesman. Truck driving is hard work, for shitty pay and weird hours. These guys can go weeks without a pay-check, make a bundle the following week (working and driving 18h a day) and not make shit then next week when there are no loads to haul.

Oh, wait. If I'm a truck driver, I can draw a steady unemployment paycheck and watch TV from my Barca-lounger that comes close to the total of sporadic pay I got working my ass off. This is a no brainer and a classic consequence of federal and state level dis-incentivising work with outsized UEBs.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post

I read this yesterday, thanks for linking it here. I almost fell out of my chair when I got to the part about California doing away with calculus in high school. It was so shocking I had to look it up to make sure the author wasn't spinning a mole hill into a mountain. Hell, it's even worse! They won't group kids together by ability and there will be no algebra for 8th graders. These people aren't fit to run a lemonade stand, yet this poisonous ideology has become the platform of the democratic party. Biden's new Education Secretary is fully on board with CRT. This is the type of nonsense that the feds are ready to export to every state in the country. The mid-terms can't get here soon enough.
                              That's why responsible parenting is so important. To be fair, there's always been a fair amount of bullshit taught in schools, so expecting your kids to succeed in the real world based solely on what the system teaches them is downright stupid.

Comment

• For sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X