Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

Is that another one of those approval polls where the sample is D+15?
    For the record, D+9. And at 37% that's actually a higher sampling for Republicans than actually identify as such. I believe overall only 25% of Americans self-identify as Republicans now, or at least did earlier this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post

Amazing what giving out trillions of dollars of free money can buy you. Will be interesting to see what people think after the free money runs out, they go back to work only to realize gas is twice as much as they remember and inflation is through the roof.
      We'll see...if the free money does run out, then that would (in theory) help fight inflation!

Inflation worries me more than the border stuff but I'm not yet convinced that everyone who thinks it's temporary (which includes the Fed Board) is totally wrong. Yeah, there are hedge fund guys going on tv preaching doom & gloom...which is what hedge fund guys ALWAYS do

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
        "Large tent-like facilities resembling refugee camps" was a commentary on how the media might phrase these facilities rather than prisons and the like.
        But they've got free WiFi so the kids can still log into their virtual classrooms and their parents can keep in touch with them via Zoom meetings.

Comment

• Re: Covid-19. The pandemic is, for all intents and purposes, over.
          Well, almost. India is struggling. But, on balance the world's countries are seeing a pandemic turn into local epidemics very much like other viral outbreaks we experience. The degree to which this is impactful varies with the quality of the infrastructure to deal with those. In the west, it is uniformly good. In the US, things look very good. Here's a S. FL headline:

Inter Miami’s soccer stadium will soon operate at full capacity

But wait ........

"They’ll continue to enforce the health and safety protocols currently in place at DRV PNK Stadium, including requiring face masks unless eating or drinking, encouraging social distancing and following cleaning protocols before and after matches."

This is a Broward Co. thing. The Mayor of Broward Co. frequently opposes the Mayor's of Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach over relaxing mitigation rules ala. Desantis' recommendations (he' left local governments with authority to impose some mobility and behavior restrictions to local governments. This is one of them).

It's stupid, lacks a basis in available data, ignores the impact of vaccines on outdoor public gatherings of any size even those involving a mixed crowd of vaccinated and unvaccinated people. Nevertheless it's what Broward Co. officials are insisting on mostly relying on or deferring to the BS from the CDC.

This is what we are going to be dealing with going forward. It's going to be a mixed bag of reasonable measures mainly left up to well informed folks making their own decisions about risk and governments continuing to do stupid shit based on stupid shit coming from the CDC. Confusion will reign - do I need a mask here or not? Across the street in that other county? Maybe. Can I take that seat right next to those people with or without masks in the park or stadium or outdoor concert. We don't need masks outdoors. Period. Fucking crazy.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The state of California is set to eliminate algebra for eight graders and also eliminate the teaching of calculus in high school. If you haven't heard this news, it shouldn't take you long to figure out why.

I wonder what the forum Democrats (e.g. DSL and CGVT) think of this move.

DSL -- should the rest of the country follow California's example and stop teaching algebra in 8th grade and eliminate calculus classes from high school because teaching advanced math to kids is "racist"? I wonder if this is another issue on which you claim to disagree with your fellow elected Democrats.
            Last edited by Hannibal; May 11, 2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• No, I don't think calculus should be banned from high school.

Comment

The state of California is set to eliminate algebra for eight graders and also eliminate the teaching of calculus in high school. If you haven't heard this news, it shouldn't take you long to figure out why.

I wonder what the forum Democrats (e.g. DSL and CGVT) think of this move.

DSL -- should the rest of the country follow California's example and stop teaching algebra in 8th grade and eliminate calculus classes from high school because teaching advanced math to kids is "racist"? I wonder if this is another issue on which you claim to disagree with your fellow elected Democrats.
                This was mentioned up thread in a link Talent posted that had a lot of good info about the racism of the woke Left. 32% of students taking HS calculus are Asian compared with 3% for black students. Therefore, the solution is to not offer calculus. They will soon have perfect equity among the participation in calculus classes among the races. What a beautiful world.

Comment

• Math is racist. So is the scientific method. So is politeness and following a time schedule.

Also, the nuclear family is racist and so is rugged individualism.

a334baf0d43cd480b3ea93582d7e80f8dc-white-culture.w710.jpg

Comment

It helps to have the media on your side too. Biden gets to take full credit for the vaccine that was developed under the previous president and he never has to answer a challenging question.
                    And Circle Back Psaki admitted it.
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Just stopped for gas. Sucking E. Station 1 was out and station 2 only had premium. Fucking hackers. Fucking panic buyers.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• 185295856_4234513306571507_2307425159452079255_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=2aUloRy6cCAAX-ol6o0&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=e9b15e69ceb02295f3aa850a1536a935&oe=60BEBD6A.jpg

Palestinian rocket attacks on Israel during the last 7-10 days.

How long would the US stand by and do nothing if we were being hit like this?

Yet, Israel is the obstacle to peace. Just ask John Kerry..

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                          Just stopped for gas. Sucking E. Station 1 was out and station 2 only had premium. Fucking hackers. Fucking panic buyers.
                          Yeah, along those line, Florida doesn't rely on this pipeline much at all but stations are shutting down cuz people are flooding them.

Florida’s gasoline supplies are largely unaffected by the Colonial Pipeline outage, but that hasn’t stemmed the rash of panic buying that has gripped people in the capital city.

Comment

• 94831942_1832408080222773_2479606773145665536_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=EM0kK-XG4SwAX80RXfR&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=3658b5c512bc605afc7f70d1ca749ce3&oe=60C0E937.jpg

In the end, they are all big pals. No difference at all.

Comment

• Pretty much. Thus, the vicious backlash against Trump in the Republican Party. You're not supposedly to actually fight back.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                                185295856_4234513306571507_2307425159452079255_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=2aUloRy6cCAAX-ol6o0&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=e9b15e69ceb02295f3aa850a1536a935&oe=60BEBD6A.jpg

Palestinian rocket attacks on Israel during the last 7-10 days.

How long would the US stand by and do nothing if we were being hit like this?

Yet, Israel is the obstacle to peace. Just ask John Kerry..
                                Yeah I've got some video to share later that I can't right now. Israel's going to retaliate big time because it seems like Hamas flooded the skies enough to get past the Iron Dome in places.

This is a rapidly escalating tit for tat that Israel will win as they always do. But this barrage tonight didn't come out of nowhere. It's been a bad week over there.

Militants attack the Israeli city after an air strike brings down a tower block in Gaza.

Comment

Working...
                                X