No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFS, there is nothing sensible about these voting laws.
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• JIM CROW ON STEROIDS!!!!
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• What's the National Review say about it?

We should be making it easier to vote in this country, not harder. These laws are predominately bullshit. Solving problems that don't exist except in the minds of wingnuts.

STOP THE STEAL!
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• This is a good read - and at the first of the month, you get some NYT's freebies so you should be able to read it. The article is titled How the World Ran Out of Everything.

It's not just the pandemic but the pandemic did a lot to exacerbate supply shortages but most of all it pulled the pants down on companies that pursue a "Just in Time" management approach that aims to keep inventories as thin as possible. The logic is this: the less you produce unsold product that sits on a shelf, the higher your profits.

The "Just in TIme" management approach was pioneered by Toyota in the 80's as Japanese companies were trying to recover from recession. In short order, as Toyota's profits skyrocketed other companies adopted it. Experts now think it's been over done. HOwever, they also argue that it's not likely the strategy will be shit-canned. Numerous other "acts of God" disasters have unmasked the risks of pursuing. NOthing changes and that is because embracing "Just in Time" is profitable. Using less of it or eliminating it entirely will raise prices, decrease demand and lessen profits.

Follow the money. BTW, I'm really enjoying not posting about COVID. That shit-storm is over, well, for most of us here in the US.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Solving problems that don't exist is certainly the Ds approach to legislation in DC.

The reality is that voting bills have amd will have no discernible impact on fraud OR turnout. This is, obviously, a partisan issue that has virtually zero impact on anyone. At least I have enough introspection to understand that.

They are, in some cases, needed to clean up rules (Georgia--which was preposterously lampooned by Chairman Joe) or address the the off-the-cuff covid voting that occured. Texas probably doesn't NEED new voting laws, but the rules they are passing won't much change turnout.

The only thing I do strongly object to is Federalizing all elections rules. I don't particularly object to the fact that New York wants to have different (technically, more restrictive) laws that Georgia.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
              This is a good read - and at the first of the month, you get some NYT's freebies so you should be able to read it. The article is titled How the World Ran Out of Everything.

It's not just the pandemic but the pandemic did a lot to exacerbate supply shortages but most of all it pulled the pants down on companies that pursue a "Just in Time" management approach that aims to keep inventories as thin as possible. The logic is this: the less you produce unsold product that sits on a shelf, the higher your profits.

The "Just in TIme" management approach was pioneered by Toyota in the 80's as Japanese companies were trying to recover from recession. In short order, as Toyota's profits skyrocketed other companies adopted it. Experts now think it's been over done. HOwever, they also argue that it's not likely the strategy will be shit-canned. Numerous other "acts of God" disasters have unmasked the risks of pursuing. NOthing changes and that is because embracing "Just in Time" is profitable. Using less of it or eliminating it entirely will raise prices, decrease demand and lessen profits.

Follow the money. BTW, I'm really enjoying not posting about COVID. That shit-storm is over, well, for most of us here in the US.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/01/b...b2da6e075b25bf
              Yeah, I think it would be remarkably bad policy to change your behavior based on a once-in-a-century event.. And I don't think a regressive inflation-ish increase in prices is worth it.
              Last edited by iam416; June 2, 2021, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• On Kamala: I think most of us knew she was a terrible presidential candidate in a field of mediocre D's pursuing the presidency. The NRO piece demonstrates we were right but not right enough. Her incompetence and, in particular how the Biden administration has to keep shielding her dumbass, is confirmed in spades.

If she's the D's heir apparent to Chairman Joe, R's will have an unprecedented chance to regain the WH. If Trump had been something other than the narcissistic dick he actually was, the D's would have been pummeled in 2020. Will they capitalize? Not likely.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Yeah, Harris was an awful candidate. I mean, just awful. Shockingly awful. She was the candidate the Ds desperately wanted to win and she couldn't pull more than 5%.

Will they capitalize? Not likely.
                  When? In 2024? In 2022?

I don't think the R party dead and buried. In 2020, they won everywhere but the Presidency -- well, on Election night. They outperformed everywhere -- House, Senate, States. They were screwed by Georgia election laws re runoffs (Perdue beat Ossoff with plenty of room to spare) and then by PDJT's months-long hyper idiocy.

It's not particularly hard for me to imagine the Rs winning the House in 2022. And it's not particularly hard for me to imagine a decent candidate beating Kamala.

Comment

• This just makes me laugh: https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...eory-debunked/

The WaPo has issued a correction to a year-old article on Tom Cotton and the Lab Leak Theory. The original article called the theory "debunked" and a "conspiracy theory".

The correction states:

Earlier versions of this story and its headline inaccurately characterized comments by Senator Tom Cotton regarding the origins of the coronavirus. The term ‘debunked’ and The Post’s use of ‘conspiracy theory’ have been removed because, then as now, there was no determination about the origins of the virus.
                    So, "then as now" there was no determination about the origins of the virus, but that didn't stop the WaPo and lots of others in The Media from using "debunked" "conspiracy theory" and "racist" when reporting on the lab leak theory. I guess they were just acting at the behest of DJT Intelligence agencies.

Comment

• Not to worry. Trump is going to be “reinstated “ in August...

Comment

• It's not hard for me to see the Republicans winning the House in 2022. It's also not hard for me to see them screw it up by keeping Trump the face of the party for another cycle and attaching themselves with a chain to him (I think he's expected to start the rallies back up this month, beginning in NC).

I think there's been two special House elections so far...one the Dems lost badly in the Dallas burbs by failing to even qualify for a runoff...the other was last night for NM-1 left vacant by Deb Haaland. It's a Dem district but Republicans thought they might cut into it by invoking CRIME but the Dem candidate won by 24 points, slightly outperforming Biden AND Haaland.

Comment

• Is anyone else starting to think that CGVT is actually that guy with the crazy hair on Ancient Aliens?

Aaliens.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                            What's the National Review say about it?

We should be making it easier to vote in this country, not harder. These laws are predominately bullshit. Solving problems that don't exist except in the minds of wingnuts.

STOP THE STEAL!
                            The country just held an election during a pandemic that included some never-before-used (or at least not to this extent) processes to vote: drop boxes, no-excuse absentee ballots, etc. Some state legislatures are taking the steps of codifying these processes into law. Very boring, uncontroversial laws. Georgia, for example, clarified the term "during normal business hours" to mean 9:00-5:00 BUT a local government office CAN stay open on election day from 7:00-7:00 to match the hours of regular polling places. This sort of common sense language is what made the president call the bill "Jim Crow on steroids" and MLB pull the All-Star game out of Atlanta.

Yes, the timing of it coming on the heels of the previous president's clownshow opens them up to criticism from the left. But that's just optics/politics. The fact of the matter is that Georgia has 18 days of early voting, permanent drop boxes (which weren't previously codified in law) and now if you want to vote by mail you have to include a photocopy of your ID, OR utility bill, OR the last 4 or your SSN.

It has never been explained to me how voting is difficult in this country and how these new bills make it even harder. It's honestly one of the easiest goddamn things there is to do in a world full of difficult things. At some point, however, a citizen should be required to affirmatively do something in order to take advantage of their right to vote. Get off your ass and participate.

Comment

• Republicans may win back the house, but it won't matter, because they won't do anything. They are monumentally gutless pussies who will do nothing of substance, ever. They haven't done anything with a majority since the Contract with America.

Comment

• Doing nothing is a far better alternative to what the Left plans to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X