Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    Our Constitutional Republic permits the Federal Senate to create and abolish cloture rules by a simple democratic vote/majority wins. It's pretty easy to do. Just gotta have 50 votes plus the tiebreaker. If you can't muster that then I'm not sure what to say.
    Actually, I believe changing rules may require a majority vote. I believe the same is also true for establishing a quorum. I know there was talk of the Rs constantly requiring a quorum vote if worse came to worse and the Ds tried to pack the SC or make DC a state. The VP does not break a tie on quorum calls. The Senate needs 51 senators to hold a binding vote on anything.

How about a constitutional amendment setting the SC at nine. It seems to me there is bipartisan support for that.

Think what might happen if a senator dies before 2022. This thing is hanging by a thread in either direction.
    Last edited by Da Geezer; June 8, 2021, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• If jobs openings are really at a 15 year high, then the economy would be inching closer to the true full employment with wage growth of the Clinton era. Back in that era, I was in a job in IT that was hiring people out of high school for 55k who could spell UNIX. When you have employers competing for workers the wage growth increases. Amazon just got rid of the piss test to compete for workers. It's going to take a few months to work through the wrinkles. Some industries like the restaurant industry might have a tough time finding workers, some of those workers have moved on.

Comment

• Once Brown won the House had to pass the Senate version even thought they wanted changes. Max Bauucus was very concerned about getting bipartisan consensus on that bill so it is loaded with Republican amendments and those amendments gained them o Republican votes.

Comment

• Restaurants, retail, and hotels are going to have a more difficult time even once the unemployment benefits are cut off. I don't have numbers in front of me but I'd wager women make up the majority, maybe strong majority, of those employees. And just anecdotally I know that daycare facilities got crushed by the pandemic, many permanently.

If you previously waited tables at Denny's and you weren't the primary wage-earner in your family, you might not go back to work at all.

Comment

• My restaurant and sports bar is operating at about 1/4 staff right now. There is zero labor pool right now. I get unemployment claims in from the state on former employees who quit all the time yet are sitting on their ass instead. Nebraska did end the extended state benefits on June 1 but the federal additional is still there. We have seen no more applicants since June 1. The fucking QDoba here is paying $17/hr. per their banner...and from what I hear are still struggling to get workers.

Thanks Chairman Joe. You fucking moronic piece of shit.
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't believe the BLS numbers (https://www.bls.gov/news.release/jolts.nr0.htm).

Or, graph: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/JTSJOL

None of this should be a suprise.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

Actually, I believe changing rules may require a majority vote. I believe the same is also true for establishing a quorum. I know there was talk of the Rs constantly requiring a quorum vote if worse came to worse and the Ds tried to pack the SC or make DC a state. The VP does not break a tie on quorum calls. The Senate needs 51 senators to hold a binding vote on anything.

How about a constitutional amendment setting the SC at nine. It seems to me there is bipartisan support for that.

Think what might happen if a senator dies before 2022. This thing is hanging by a thread in either direction.
                That could be. I really don't know nor care. I can't imagine the Ds screaming at Manchin and Sinema about the filibuster if they needed 51. It only makes sense if they need 50. They have to proceed via the nuclear option and win 51-50. That would be there plan. If they the votes. Funny how democracy is foiling their pleas for more democracy.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                  I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't believe the BLS numbers (https://www.bls.gov/news.release/jolts.nr0.htm).

Or, graph: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/JTSJOL

None of this should be a suprise.
                  You are going to see places shutting down or seriously reducing hours and services...hell it's already happening. The liberal panacea is here! Free everything! Fuck the rich!

Idiots.
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• My oldest daughter runs a fairly high end restaurant in Lincoln. They have gone to reduced hours...no more lunch hours just reduced dinner hours...and Friday/Saturday are reservation only for groups 20+. Closed on Sundays now which was their best day formally. They normally have a staff of around 50. They have 10 now.

But Chairman Joe still claims his policies are not restricting the workforce...and the MSM just swallows it like Mrs. Talent at a biker bar...
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• We've seen the same thing here at local restaurants. Some that used to be open 24 hours now close before midnight. Some that used to serve breakfast now open just before lunch time. Our local Tim Horton's used to be open 24 hours, now they close at 4:00 pm. Businesses can't compete with the Government's guaranteed wage.

AOC and her pals think EVERYONE should get 2G's per month from the government. We sure need more people like them in Congress, don't we?
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• The BLS data also revealed the rate of workers quitting at its highest level. That's good news for all you Trump supporters who were worrying about the plight of the real Americans being left behind with stagnant wage growth. High quit rates equal wage growth. So your fellow Trumpers down at the local VFW are going to get higher wages.

Comment

• You are truly a dumbfuck.
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Coming from you, that's a badge of honor Trumper.

Comment

• So, Froot’s fanciful questioning of obvious BLS data is done?

Comment

• What about the BLS data?

Comment

Working...
                                X