No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The military seems a poor career choice for people who don't like being told what to do.

Comment

• Hannibal,

Pregnancy was added onto gender iirc. Psychiatric was added to disability. Both protected.

And who knows, maybe vaccine refusal will be added to that. I can’t imagine it, though.

CDC aside, most businesses are pro vaccine because being able to reduce an outbreak that separates a large swath of their workforce from productive work for 10-14 days is seen as a positive. Especially close-quarter jobs (factory or line work, along with healthcare, for example) where one infectious person is a vector to spread to multiple people on the site. If those employers aren’t legally precluded from requiring it, you’re going to see a growing number who require it.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
        Hannibal,

Pregnancy was added onto gender iirc. Psychiatric was added to disability. Both protected.
        I don't care why. The point is, when Democrats want something from the private sector, "free markets, you can get another job if you want it" never applies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
          The story has been repeated numerous times during the pandemic, but while at Valley Forge, George Washington had all his men get inoculated against smallpox whether they liked it or not.

Within weeks the FDA is going to give full, non-emergency approval to at least one of the vaccines (Pfizer first most likely) at which point the insincere argument about it being "experimental" and "dangerous" completely goes out the window.

What's ridiculous is that the people insisting that the vaccines are unproven are the same crowd that hyped up hydroxychloroquine. The vaccines have a mountain of evidence supporting their use compared with hydroxy
          So you are comparing a deadly virus like Smallpox to Covid?

That explains a lot.
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• CGVT,

The only opt-out (usually) with TB tests is if they have had proof of the BCG (TB) vaccine who have had a previous bad reaction. BCG is given in third world countries that have rampant TB issues. The vaccine often gives a positive TB skin test.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Wiz,

I’m a bit of a little L libertarian. But it’s hard for me to look at this as tyranny until the government mandates vaccination and rounds you up and forces it on you. That’s different than what a business owner requires. Right now employers have the right to require it or not. Businesses have a lot of freedom in who they hire or don’t hire and vaccination is the same thing. And you have the right to tell the company to “fuck off” and go someplace else. Same, if you don’t like the other vaccines they may mandate, what attire they have workers wear, the hours they have you work, or any other employee-based regulations. Employers have long enjoyed a lot of latitude except for the federal protections of race, gender, age, religion…seems like I am forgetting one and too lazy to look it up.

What will be interesting is if they mandate the vaccine for the military. They already mandate a number of them for troops if I understand correctly. There is some history to it, too. George Washington mandated smallpox inoculation to his troops back during the Revolutionary War.

A more blurred line is state-ran schools mandating it. I know some have already done just that. And I’m sure the first court case is in the process as we speak. I have no idea if there is case law for that, but I would assume so with all the immunizations schools require and have going back to polio vaccines and measles, mumps, and rubella shots that I had as a child.

Interesting times.
              Well as an owner of two small businesses I've seen first hand how tyrannical a government can be AA.
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

I don't care why. The point is, when Democrats want something from the private sector, "free markets, you can get another job if you want it" never applies.
                Yeah, all pols are hypocrites.

My point was that you will have to tie it to protected class (or some local, state, or federal law) or introduce guidelines in a CBA to forbid employers from mandating it.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post

Well as an owner of two small businesses I've seen first hand how tyrannical a government can be AA.
                  Well, as someone who has posted with you for 20 years, I can see first hand how you need to STFU.

Comment

And a one-man gay bath house and massage parlor owner is hardly “two small businesses”.

Comment

• nice to see carey and brown win

far as the vaccine mandate--cant argue with businesses doing what they think is best I suppose.

just extremely difficult for me to understand why the government is mandating all this--like in NYC deblasios latest order--for a virus that is killing < 500 people a week nationwide--and many are dying with covid rather then because of covid.

seems like you ought to have a choice--although I recommend it to any patient I see above 40 --

Comment

Well, as someone who has posted with you for 20 years, I can see first hand how you need to STFU.
                        shaddup
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

shaddup
                          I wanna know what love is
                          I want you to show me
                          I wanna feel what love is
                          I know you can show me…

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

I disagree. There are worse and bigger issues looming. CRT is one of them.
                            what happens when you keep giving a little?

after awhile, the country stops resembling America. Seriously, take a look around.

I am giving no more inches.

Comment

• A lot of talk about shunning conservatives out of society, but they haven't stopped to consider the % of Black Americans that haven't got the clot shot.

Dems are trying to run half of Black Americans out of the workforce.

Comment

• Clearly, there's not enough people getting vaccinated, on a global basis, to reach this herd immunity objective. One can argue that you can regionally. The problem with that logic is the percolation effect. Even though this effect may be limited in its capacity to produce more variants, it remains problematic, IMO. We just don't know how SARS2 is going to behave going forward. Trends are positive but there are still unanswered questions.

TBH, there's no way on the basis of what we know about SARS2 now, we're going to eliminate it. None. Manage it? Yes, emphatically yes......and that's what pisses me off about what Governor Desantis calls the "media hysteria" surrounding the current rise in new case numbers and hospitalizations in FL. Then, when he says that - an entirely accurate description of what's going on in FL right now - he gets hammered in the press for being "clueless" about the virus.

On the contrary, like I said, he's going to come out a winner on this. He's protected the vulnerable in FL, made testing and vaccines available to anyone that wants them and most importantly he's stood against government telling people and businesses what to do in this pandemic without balancing the ridiculous costs of doing that, all kinds of them with the facts on the ground proving beyond any shadow of doubt that those costs far outweigh any good they do.

I'm still confident were going to see a steep decline in new case numbers shortly if the history of this thing everywhere else on the planet is accurate. Masks don't help, shutting shit down doesn't help, restricting mobility is just plain stupid because it doesn't help. Vaccines help. At this point in the pandemic, they are about all that is going to help with pandemic fatigue at high levels and the CDC continually shitting on itself rendering any guidance they provide as useless as a fart filled aqua-lung.

People can make arguments all these mitigation measures and guidance do help. The problem with that argument is that even if they are supportable arguments they are impractical on multiple levels and the costs - all kinds of them - aren't justified by the PH impact they have. The CDC and the Biden administration have simply failed to grasp this reality and get on with post pandemic life. Ron Desantis, OTH, is spot on and, for Floridians, we're pretty much back to normal. The rise in case numbers in FL is about people not getting vaccinated. This isn't about "breakthrough infections." It isn't about people not masking, social distancing or hiding inside their houses, its about people not getting vaccinated. Period.
                                Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; August 4, 2021, 03:31 PM.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X