Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CG,

Resource hoarding in a natural disaster, especially with the folks in the lower economic strata, is a real thing. Understandably. Tables sat out after Katrina with supplies were emptied of everything. Sure, water, snacks. But boxes of tongue depressors mistakenly sat out? Cotton balls? A sphygmomanometer? It’s like something clicks and they eat or take everything they can.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
      CG,

Resource hoarding in a natural disaster, especially with the folks in the lower economic strata, is a real thing. Understandably. Tables sat out after Katrina with supplies were emptied of everything. Sure, water, snacks. But boxes of tongue depressors mistakenly sat out? Cotton balls? A sphygmomanometer? It’s like something clicks and they eat or take everything they can.
      Well, you never know when you'll have to take an emergency blood pressure reading...

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
        C

Really? I will grant you that separating science and facts from overt pollicization of outcomes - attempts to shape a particular reality that fits the attempters objectives - is difficult. I'm a student of the science and the facts. I'm generally oblivious to what's on TV. That is not becasue I think we are being lied to in some conspiratorial way but because the TV news, by it's nature, lacks context, too frequently distorts data to fit a particular view point and is too often purposefully misleading to fit that objective. e.g., the virus is not a threat if you've had COVID already - no need to get vaccinated - so says FOX New's Tucker Carlson who cites an Israeli study and of course without any context. With out such context, it's misleading. There's more to the study than Carlson had the time to caveat. Or did he and just not want to. Favor the later. Here it is. Read it if you will but fuck Carlson and FOX for heaping fire wood on the pyre of the refuseniks BS.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021...ection-parties
        Good article. In pertinent part, it says:

The new analysis relies on the database of Maccabi Healthcare Services, which enrolls about 2.5 million Israelis. The study, led by Tal Patalon and Sivan Gazit at KSM, the system’s research and innovation arm, found in two analyses that never-infected people who were vaccinated in January and February were, in June, July, and the first half of August, six to 13 times more likely to get infected than unvaccinated people who were previously infected with the coronavirus. In one analysis, comparing more than 32,000 people in the health system, the risk of developing symptomatic COVID-19 was 27 times higher among the vaccinated, and the risk of hospitalization eight times higher.

“The differences are huge,” says Thålin, although she cautions that the numbers for infections and other events analyzed for the comparisons were “small.” For instance, the higher hospitalization rate in the 32,000-person analysis was based on just eight hospitalizations in a vaccinated group and one in a previously infected group. And the 13-fold increased risk of infection in the same analysis was based on just 238 infections in the vaccinated population, less than 1.5% of the more than 16,000 people, versus 19 reinfections among a similar number of people who once had SARS-CoV-2.

I'm fully vaccinated. So is Tucker Carlson. For someone who purports to be so fact-based, you miss Tucker's promotion of the vaccine. Rather, you say:

but because the TV news, by it's nature, lacks context, too frequently distorts data to fit a particular view point and is too often purposefully misleading to fit that objective. e.g., the virus is not a threat if you've had COVID already - no need to get vaccinated - so says FOX New's Tucker Carlson who cites an Israeli study and of course without any context. With out such context, it's misleading. There's more to the study than Carlson had the time to caveat. Or did he and just not want to.

Could you please find where Carlson said anything implying that there is "no need to get vaccinated..."?

Sometimes when we have an animus toward a particular viewpoint, we don't care what we say about it.

IMO, getting the vaccine is just common sense. I've had heart failure and have diabetes. I'm old. This was a simple decision for me. My wife, on the other hand, has refused to get vaccinated. So I understand folks who are suspicious of the vaccine, such as the Wiz. Honestly, we are not going to know what the long-term effects of the vaccine are until some time has passed.

Note also, that mortality rates of vaccinated v. natural immunity could not be determined because no one died. I remember getting the Salk vaccine for polio. Believe me, there was no necessity for a "mandate". Everyone knew the stakes, and everyone happily paid for the shot or skin scratch. Not so with Covid. People routinely survive, and death is a very low probability. That is also a factor in the decision, as my wife's, to not be vaccinated. The position that virtually everyone must be compelled to take the shot (as CGVT believes) is actually the position that needs context. CGVT may be right too. The trade of liberty for safety is, at the least, subjective.

The article sets up a straw man of sorts, coming out against having infection parties in order to contract covid. Of course, that is stupid.

And, finally, let's remember Joe Biden and Kamala Harris said they would not take the vaccine. They are hardly ever wrong.

Comment

• And, finally, let's remember Joe Biden and Kamala Harris said they would not take the vaccine. They are hardly ever wrong.
          Jesus Christ. What a stupid out of context right wing talking point from a FOX News robot.

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            It has been my experience that arguing with vaccine “flat earthers” bears little fruit.

As always, your mileage may vary.
            Maybe and yes MMDV ........ I am, at this point in time, having in hand and studied a shit-ton of convincing research, both pre-print and peer reviewed, that unequivocally predicts that the virus has not finished using up the multiple means it has at it's disposal to render itself sustainable in sufficient amount to cause a lot of damage. A lot of suffering. The longer the human race continues to refuse vaccines when they are available, the more sustainable, fucking with our lives, our economies and are schools capable, this thing becomes. Doubt that at your peril and then concider by most accounts

IT'S NOT OVER.

That reality, becoming clearer and clear every day, contributes to shortening the window that I'll be able to live the life I've imagined and worked to obtain for over 55 years and I'm not alone. You want to take that away from me because have this self proclaimed right to choose in this matter? Fuck you then.

Selfish? Fucking-A. But there's more to it than that. I'm not going to flinch, hold back out of some deluded sense of respect that lets people off the hook for the kind of thinking embodied by baseless claims such as, vaccines don't work/are unsafe, you're being lied to, manipulated, you're buying into the bull-shit of a government seeking to control you. Historically that kind of thinking, the kind that prevents necessary actions as unpopular as they might be for any number of reasons, left unchallenged, has resulted in countless wars, death and tragedy throughout the history of mankind. I'm no longer going to foolishly assert or imply "its over...... we don't need to do anything more" Instead, I'll let history speak for itself for what that kind of delusional thinking produces when, in fact, it's far from over:
            • Chamberlain in 1938. Hitler Invades Poland. WWII ends 7 years later with 70m dead.
            • Kissinger in 1971 and again in Paris, '73. "Peace is at hand." within 18 months, North Vietnamese Regulars overran South Vietnam following the American withdrawal and the lives of countless Vietnamese and 4M US and Vietnamese soldiers and civilians were lost in that vein attempt to keep Communism from spreading in SEA.
            • Bush declares "mission accomplished" in 2003. Depending on how you count them, who you count and during what period US forces were in the ME engaged in some capacity propping up the Iraqi government, 40K lost in Neocon designed nation building.
            • Finally and most recently Joe Biden, in a complete lie to the American public that things were fine there, ordered a Dunkirkian (along with NATO Allies) withdrawal from Afghanistan. That withdrawal sacrificed the lives of over 200K civilian, police and military personnel for what? Status Quo anti of 20 years ago..
            I'm going to write about this within opportunities presented to me in the hopes that I can convince one person - ONE - to get vaccinated before more people suffer from or die from COVID - now over 4.5m and climbing, with 85K dead in the US alone

AA, the "fruit" this bears is for me alone. It's an outlet for my present outrage over a whole shit pot of things going on in the world right now. Many of them close to my core and long held beliefs.

“Don’t ask for guarantees. And don’t look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were heading for shore.”

Ray Bradury, Fahrenheit 451
            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Points taken, Geezer. I didn't see the Carlson broadcast myself. Is it possible that antivaxxers who have been previously infected lit upon his presentation with gleeful abandon saying, great, I don't need to get vaccinated? That's the point I wished to make there. That is not at all what one of many important points and caveats made in the presentation of the entire study at the link I provided. I suspect Carlson's point was pretty black and white. Really I don't know.

eople hear what they want to hear. Another reason I've stopped watching broadcast media. I've recognized I'm guilty of it myself.

I find it much better to read the debates on the current issues. Let the words sink in, digest them and work hard to eliminate preconceived biases I have towards a partiucalr view point. Beleive m, I have them. My wife reminds me that I do all the time.
              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; August 29, 2021, 11:49 AM.
              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Good enough, Jeff, as long as you get a little fruity, I’m happy for you.

:-)
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• 240914560_10160949938501336_6594827078829319851_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=RzEmxkjrwwkAX-3V0i7&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=0fd69f3dbdbd1b3cb1500fe8cd6c6e9b&oe=613050F0.jpg

This is a picture of Sgt. Nicole Gee right before she was murdered by a suicide bomber.

I hope the suicide bomber's 72 virgins are all male, and look like Gilbert Gottfried.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• This is an article by Jim Webb, a Marine who served in Vietnam and later become SECNAV and served as a US Senator. His article is a recounting of the events leading up to the current situation in Afghanistan and dismissing the media's characterization of it to the withdrawal of US personal and our Vietnamese friends from Saigon - an operation that despite some of the photos of it was a well planned retrograde operation. Webb's article is harshly critical of the execution of what appears to be a horribly planned and executed retrograde mission and highly condemnatory of our sitting president. He calls for accountability and remarks that our founders laid out the means to hold failing elected officials to account - if we have the will to do that and I'm not sure about that.

Worth a read.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature...727?page=0%2C1

Comment

• The anti-vaxers cry of "Freedom!" and "Individual liberty!" hold no water. At the turn of the previous century, the very same issues were addressed by the Supreme Court in regards to small pox vaccinations. Reference the 1905 Jacobson v. Massachusetts ruling where part of the ruling stated "Real liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own (liberty), whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others."

You can't be super spreaders infecting others. Get your damn vaccination.

I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• You can't be super spreaders infecting others. Get your damn vaccination.
                        The largest number of anti and no vaxers in Michigan are minority voters, who voted for Joe Biden. The same guy, along with his running mate, who loudly stated during 2020, that they would never take "the Trump vaccine". Lots of people took that to heart.

Its not just the suburban and rural assault-weapon bearing rednecks.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• At that time, the Trump vaccine was Clorox and other non-curatives. Back when Trump had someone who was a Fox talking head and read x-rays as his infectious disease czar.

People need to take politics out of the equation. Get the vaccination. Trump recently referred to all the vaccines collectively as the "Trump vaccine" (in Alabama). Fine. If he wants to claim credit, have at it. I'll call all the current viable vaccines the Trump Vaccine if it gets people to get vaccinated.

I don't care what color you are. Get vaccinated so you don't infect others.
                          I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obi-Jon View Post
                            At that time, the Trump vaccine was Clorox and other non-curatives. Back when Trump had someone who was a Fox talking head and read x-rays as his infectious disease czar.

People need to take politics out of the equation. Get the vaccination. Trump recently referred to all the vaccines collectively as the "Trump vaccine" (in Alabama). Fine. If he wants to claim credit, have at it. I'll call all the current viable vaccines the Trump Vaccine if it gets people to get vaccinated.

I don't care what color you are. Get vaccinated so you don't infect others.
                            no.

Seems to me the vaccinated can also act as a super spreader.

so, please, put your mask on now like a good sheep.

Comment

• The target of a U.S. drone strike in #Kabul was supposed to be #ISIS-K suicide bombers. Assuming it is the same strike, what we found were 10 dead civilians, including 7 children.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

The largest number of anti and no vaxers in Michigan are minority voters, who voted for Joe Biden. The same guy, along with his running mate, who loudly stated during 2020, that they would never take "the Trump vaccine". Lots of people took that to heart.

Its not just the suburban and rural assault-weapon bearing rednecks.
                                FFS. Drop the stupid FOXbot talking point. Both Biden and Harris said they would get the vaccine when the experts said it was safe. They said they would not take trumps word for it. Neither said they would never take it. Both said they didn’t trust Trump to tell the truth. With trumps track record of being absolutely full of shit, that was a prudent stance. And of course the bullshit that you stated is just that, bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                                X