No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this week it seems like they'll pass a clean CR in the next 48 hours probably, and maybe the House votes on infrastructure Thursday. From what I hear there's more than 10 House Republicans that intend to ultimately vote for it but they may be held back by McCarthy until the Dems have enough votes to pass on their own. Which could be a challenge.

After that a debt ceiling increase through reconciliation + whatever additional spending the Dems can agree on by Oct 18

Comment

• Milley says he received an order signed by Trump on Nov. 11 that directed the military to have ALL troops out of Afghanistan by Jan. 15, 2021. After further discussions the order was rescinded.

With regard to Milley's calls with the Chinese he provided enough details that ought to be easily verifiable and that make it sound like Woodward highly exaggerated them for his book.

* In October of last year the US had intelligence that the Chinese were increasingly paranoid of a surprise attack coming from the US. Milley was directed by Sec of Defense Esper to call his Chinese counterpart to ease tensions. The call happened on Oct. 30, there were 8 other people on the call, and a readout of the call went around shortly. Milley also testified that he was certain that Trump had no intention of attacking China.

* On Dec 31 the Chinese asked for another phone call. This was arranged for Jan. 8, and this time another 11 people were on the call. Milley says he briefed Pompeo, Mark Meadows, and Acting Secretary Miller afterwards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post

And Steve Yzerman.
        We probably need to put Gordie Howe in there.

And Canada George.
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Sadly, so many of Canada's contributions are wiped out by Nickelback.

Comment

• But Alex Trebek died for Nickleback’s sins.
            Last edited by AlabamAlum; September 28, 2021, 11:00 AM.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Sadly, so many of Canada's contributions are wiped out by Nickelback.
              And Celine Dion and Bieber.
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• For every Jim Carrey...there is salvation with Bob & Doug McKenzie...
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Top military officers also confirmed today that they recommended personally to Biden retaining 2500 troops on the ground in Afghanistan, contradicting Biden's public statements

Comment

• Yeah, I watched a little bit of that earlier. It's crystal clear that he lied repeatedly about pretty much everything related to that clusterfuck. Elizabeth Warren played the role of lickspittle to perfection. Asked a couple softball questions of Austin then claimed Biden followed all the advice of his military advisors which is why the withdrawal was such a sterling success before slithering back under a rock. Question: Does she just own one outfit or 15 of the same one?

Comment

• anybody answer how many americans still left over there?
                      Anybody answer whats going on over there right now for americans left over there?
                      anybody answer why they didnt try to keep bagram?
                      anybody answer wtf were they thinking leaving all those choppers and drones and c4s and assault vehicles behind?
                      anybody answer what the intel was on that drone strike that killed that family?

hopefully this questions will be grilled and maybe we can find out who specifically since i'm sure those being grilled today were overuled on every aspect of that pullout. worse pullout since about 9 months prior to my first kid

Comment

• This is fairly funny. I guess Obama was being feted on some talk show and was asked about immigration and mentioned that open borders aren't sustainable. A reporter asked the legendary Jen Psaki if the Chairman agreed and she was quick to say, heh, the borders aren't open. LOL. https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...unsustainable/

Also on immigration, and from the f'n NYT -- though it's utterly buried about 80 paragraphs deep (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/22/u...aitians.html):

As officials were drawing up migration policy memos, some advisers pushed back against immediately ending the Trump policy — known as Remain in Mexico — arguing that it made more sense to unwind the program slowly, according to several people familiar with the discussions who requested anonymity to talk about the debate.

They argued that such an abrupt move, which would open the door to asylum seekers pursuing their claims in the United States, could overwhelm the capacity of U.S. officials. That concern was shared by Mexican officials, who also believed that quickly ending the program could send the wrong message to Central Americans considering the journey north.
                        Well, no motherfucking shit. Ending the entirely sensible and appropriate "Remain in Mexico" means some verison of "catch and release" or simply "welcome and please, please, please show up for your asylum hearing." But, heh, those aren't open borders.

People are rational actors, man. They knew the trip north wasn't worth it if they couldn't slip into into the US and melt away. They knew it was a bad bet with Remain in Mexico. But, shit man, if it's any and all get in, well, you get what you get -- which is EXACTLY what the Ds want.

But, ummmm, yeah....this is just your ordinary seasonal shit and to the extent it isn't, ummmmm.... COVID!!!!

Oh, yeah, the Border Patrol is whipping Haitans. JMFC. I mean, JFMC.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Yeah, I watched a little bit of that earlier. It's crystal clear that he lied repeatedly about pretty much everything related to that clusterfuck. Elizabeth Warren played the role of lickspittle to perfection. Asked a couple softball questions of Austin then claimed Biden followed all the advice of his military advisors which is why the withdrawal was such a sterling success before slithering back under a rock. Question: Does she just own one outfit or 15 of the same one?
                          She also declared Jerome Powell a "very dangerous man" so she's having a busy day. But to me that's a sign that Powell's likely to be re-nominated and she's throwing a last ditch effort to stop it.

Comment

• Enjoyable read from Charles Cooke tracking the gads of lies from the Chairman and Ds on the Reconcilaition. https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/...iliation-bill/

Again, the Ds don't have just one Big Lie...they got themselves a goddamn dump truck full of outlandish shit.

Comment

• I will say that when the Chairman emphatically said the military never advised him to keep a small force in Afghanistan that he might have just forgot. He's lost his fastball. His slider. His changeup. And probably any ability to throw the ball. There's a reason he's been and going to remain tucked away. He's pretty much out of it.

So, it's probably about as likely that he just doesn't remember as he brazenly lied. Personally, I guess I'd prefer an unrepetent liar to a doddering fool. Unfortunately, those two things aren't mutually exclusive and the Chairman may very well embody both.

JFC.

Comment

• I can't read the NR article so I don't know if it says this or not...

But what was our ultimate reasoning for why the Republicans want the Dems to raise the debt ceiling through reconciliation and not a normal vote? Is it because they have to specify an amount?

Comment

Working...
                                X