Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In re my post above. From this morning's Economist Expresso:

​​​​​​New Zealand’s government abandoned its strategic ambition to lift lockdowns only once covid-19 was eliminated. As Delta cases continue to rise, the country is adopting the more common strategy of easing lockdowns before that point is reached, beginning this week. Currently just 48% of the population is fully vaccinated; strict lockdowns will end when that figure reaches 90%.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• My niece and her fiancee have Covid, as do all four of their kids. (two hers, two his) The kids are asymptomatic, but being quarrantined. The fiancee is now recovering and feeling much better after a week of symptoms. My niece got the worst of it. She's been sick with headaches, nausea and body aches. Yesterday, after a week of fighting it, she gave up and went into the local ER. When she got there they gave her a shot for the nausea, and put her on a IV for immunotherapy. Don't ask me the name of the drugs they gave her, because I can't pronounce them, much less spell them. Good news is, they sent her home after about 3 hours of infusion in the ER. She's back home and resting comfortably, and in isolation.

She and her man are both anti-vaxers. My brother (her dad), his wife, and I all tried to tell them to get vaxed, but they were opposed. Not sure how they feel about it now. Fortunately, the one symptom she's NOT having is any breathing issues. Her blood oxygen levels are good.
      Last edited by lineygoblue; October 4, 2021, 10:06 AM.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Best wishes to your family, liney

Comment

• Funny that Facebook and Instagram crash the morning after that 60 Minutes piece. FB's stock performing as well as a Husker quarterback

Comment

• I wasn't aware that there was a 60 Minutes piece.

Just googled it. Apparently a "whistleblower" came forward and said that Facebook isn't doing enough to censor speech and fight "misinformation" online. It's a huge scandal now. LMAO.

Well played, sirs. well played.

Absolutely fucking brilliant.
            Last edited by Hannibal; October 4, 2021, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Well, she also has a lot of internal documents showing that Facebook has put a lot of time and money into researching what emotions cause people to "engage" with social media the most and the easiest emotion to trigger and make people spend more time on social media is anger. Once their algorithm understands your tastes, it's designed to feed you articles it suspects will upset you.

Just like cable news wants its particular audience to be outraged and angry all the time because they know an angry viewer will watch hours of programming a day.

Comment

• STFU
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  Well, she also has a lot of internal documents showing that Facebook has put a lot of time and money into researching what emotions cause people to "engage" with social media the most and the easiest emotion to trigger and make people spend more time on social media is anger. Once their algorithm understands your tastes, it's designed to feed you articles it suspects will upset you.

Just like cable news wants its particular audience to be outraged and angry all the time because they know an angry viewer will watch hours of programming a day.
                  https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts...iew-transcript

“We estimate that we may action as little as three to 5% of hate and about six tenths of 1% of violence and incitement on Facebook, despite being the best in the world at it.”

When we live in an information environment that is full of angry, hateful, polarizing content, it erodes our civic trust, it erodes our faith in each other, it erodes our ability to want to care for each other. The version of Facebook that exists today is tearing our societies apart and causing ethnic violence around the world.

Oh good, we made it through the election, there wasn’t riots, we can get rid of Civic Integrity now.” Fast forward a couple of months, we got the insurrection and when they got rid of Civic Integrity,
                  RIGHT WING MISINFORMATION NOT ENOUGH CENSORSHIP!!!!111!11ONEONELEVEN

Comment

• Interesting that as a "whistleblower", she wasn't very interested in exposing the policies of how Facebook monetizes your data. Or why the Russia Collusion Hoax doesn't qualify as "misinformation". Or why the NY Post story on Hunter Biden was classified as "misinformation", even though it has now been 100% authenticated.
                    Last edited by Hannibal; October 4, 2021, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• At 4 hours and counting this is now the longest Facebook has been offline since 2008, when it crashed for an entire day.

Heads are gonna roll. From what I've read it's entirely self-inflicted and took down other internal systems too. Their security keycard system apparently wasn't working and people were locked out when they showed up at work this morning.

Comment

• Heads will roll in a sacrificial lamb sense, but mission otherwise accomplished.

Always stay on offense. That’s how you win.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                          STFU
                          Good policy proscription. I hope Facebook follows your advice.

Comment

• The world is a better place for those 4 hours.

Comment

• How come the Secret Service isn't there to protect Kyrsten Sinema from this terrorist attack ala Ashli Babbit?

Comment

• If I were her, I'd start carrying pepper spray, and give any future rocket scientists a full dose in the face.
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X