X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Mentioned this morning that the FBI raided the NYPD Sergeants Union HQ this morning. Apparently they also raided the Long Island home of Ed Mullins, the union President.

Less than 12 hours later he's resigned. But totally innocent of whatever charges may be coming!!!

Mullins is a class act all the way:

During his tenure, bombastic union chief has has fought for better pay for members — while also publicly sparring with city officials, including Mayor Bill de Blasio, over police reform and other issues.

He landed in hot water last year for tweeting the unredacted arrest report of the mayor’s daughter, Chiara de Blasio after she was busted during George Floyd protests in Manhattan.

Mullins was slapped with NYPD disciplinary charges for releasing the paperwork and for other tweets in which he called a city official and a city council member a “bitch” and a “first class whore,” respectively.

Ed Mullins, the head of the NYPD’s Sergeants Benevolent Association, stepped down amid a federal probe into the alleged misappropriation of union funds.

Comment

• Regarding the price of gas that seemed to get steered off course in subsequent posts: the whole point of my original post was to indicate that gas prices were to remain "high" for the foreseeable future. I sighted two lines of an article from the Economist that came from there claiming that typical plentiful oil reserves stashed by countries in the past had dwindled from 50y to 25y ...... that's still a fuckton of oil so, yeah, there's plenty of oil in absolute terms as of today but not as much as in the past. The article sighted a lot of reasons for this. I mentioned two.

I appreciate DSLs comments on this that noted production and supply issues as contributing and also noted gas prices today are not as high as other periods in the past.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• In COVID news ...... Global and US new case numbers are declining along with the rest of the meaningful metrics (caveat none of them are great measures of disease impact for a number of reasons.

Trends are useful. They are all down. The timing of the surges and declines continues an identifiable pattern: Rapid rise, followed by rapid decline in a 2-2.5 month time frame. Researchers and scientists claim they are bewildered by this and don't understand the cause. Many do know what's going on, there just isn't a consensus view. My view is that a combination of herd immunity, vaccinations and human behaviors are the three major factors involved, to what degree each contributes is anyone's guess. My take, as you'd expect, is expanding numbers of regional high vax rates is fundamentally behind the latest declines, maybe not the previous three.

The other noteworthy thing is that variants are driving surges. The trick is to limit these on a regional and local level and we all know how to do that. It really isn't useful to look at global numbers or even country numbers becasue outbreaks are clearly regional and local. Control those and we know have a traditional epidemic like influenza. Manageable. This is what PH officials should be aiming for. Here in Europe, that's exactly what's going on. The noteable differences between us and them is higher vax rates and excellent tracing and tracking apps.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• A piece of good news from last night, the Yankees were eliminated from the playoffs. Making it appropriately bitter, it came at the hands of the Red Sox. Choking was NY's $324M pitcher being chased in the 3rd inning.

A small thing, but its always good when the Yankees lose.
            I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              However you feel about her, this is sort of amazing. Time is a circle

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...270-story.html

FA5jwgDXIAMOS_Q?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
              Isn't it funny how ordinary "man on the street" types so frequently happen to not be ordinary "man on the street" types?
              Last edited by Hannibal; October 6, 2021, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obi-Jon View Post
                A small thing, but its always good when the Yankees lose.
                RedSox nation, IMHO, is even more annoying than Yankees nation.

Comment

• zsrgqvfvcpr71.png

save 2 kids from the icu while giving 3-17 myocarditis.

and that's just myocarditis, you still have blood clots, strokes, seizures, neuropathic disorders, tinnitus, and on and on.
                  Last edited by Kapture1; October 6, 2021, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post

RedSox nation, IMHO, is even more annoying than Yankees nation.
                    Too close to call. Both are amnoying AF...but since Talent is a Yank...well...
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Maybe the Tampa Bay Rays will do MLB a favor and eliminate the Sox. That way both annoying fan bases will be gone.
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Correct
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Mark Schlissel is stepping down as UM President effective in 2024.

In the article, it describes the departure package he's receiving.

I've heard of a 'golden parachute' before, but I'd say this one is diamond studded.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Re Kature's post on Vaccines for "kids" .......

Context: Age ranges are an important consideration as well as other factors that should be weighed in determining whether "kids" (not sufficiently defined in the post) both under and over 12 should be vaccinated. It's definitely not black and white and age range matters.

The numbers in the pictorial provided above are from a BBC article dated September 3rd. A separate article from the same source (JCVI -The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunization advises UK health departments on immunization.) Provides some additional comment.

Whether or not the US should be following the Brits vaccine policies, or any other country's vaccine policy, is debatable. Most countries tend to look carefully at whoever is out in front with a particular COVID policy initiative and still go their own way. The UK and Israel, Germany not far behind, have been out front with both published (not peer reviewed) COVID studies of all kinds. It's natural for the press to jump on these. I'm fine with that as long as context is provided when citing them. Chinese and Russian studies, especially the Chinese, are not all bad- there's controversy over how they are conducted. They tend to lack the control, repeatability and power of the same studies in the West.

TBF the weight of the evidence I've read about vaccines for 12-15 and then under 12 is equivocal for both age groups. My gut feeling, based on my knowledge and experience in studying this stuff is that the 12-15yo age group should probably be vaccinated. Those under 12, probably not. Still, what vax policy should be in the pediatric age groups is not altogether clear.

The link below is dated 14 September, and if your interested in this, the later article provides a bit more background and context.

How to weigh the pros and cons of a vaccine for a disease that is rarely serious in young people.
                            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 6, 2021, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                              Regarding the price of gas that seemed to get steered off course in subsequent posts: the whole point of my original post was to indicate that gas prices were to remain "high" for the foreseeable future. I sighted two lines of an article from the Economist that came from there claiming that typical plentiful oil reserves stashed by countries in the past had dwindled from 50y to 25y ...... that's still a fuckton of oil so, yeah, there's plenty of oil in absolute terms as of today but not as much as in the past. The article sighted a lot of reasons for this. I mentioned two.

I appreciate DSLs comments on this that noted production and supply issues as contributing and also noted gas prices today are not as high as other periods in the past.
                              Goodness. On we go. These are the highest gas prices that the US government has allowed EVER. Of course, there have been higher prices historically, but that was caused by malign foreign monopolies limiting supply for political purposes. Trump encouraged oil and gas production in every way, fracking, pipelines, deregulation, Alaska Wildlife refuge, off-shore drilling off the east coast. This production increased supply, driving down the cost of all hydrocarbons, to the great benefit of almost every American.

What is actually true is that Europe is now in the first stages of an energy crisis. Their switch to green energy is proving to be a terrible decision. Let's see what this winter holds, but I predict in the next few years there will be actual changes made in the makeup of Europe's energy mix. Let's see. It will mean a huge helping of crow, but political leaders may have no choice. Green energy is now, and has been since the days of Sylendra, a multi-trillion dollar redistribution of wealth from the producers of wealth to the Globalists.

And there are 2 simple questions I've been asking our progs here. (DSL and Jeff)

What is your best evidence that anthropogenic global warming exists? What correct predictions have been made using this "best evidence"?

Comment

• correction.

There was one week when gasoline prices really spiked that I can remember. That was the day Ronald Reagan was elected in 1980 and my local gas station simply raised the price to $ 5.00 per gallon. Reagan had promised to deregulate oil and gas from the regulatory maze the Democrats had constructed. No more "new" oil at a higher price than "old" oil (Dems have never believed in market solutions). The price of gasoline went to half in about a month. Again, to the benefit of almost all Americans

Comment

Working...
                                X