No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearly we need an emergency Turkey Relief Bill (TRB) for $646,000,000,000 of which $100K will be set aside for turkey price relief.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
      And the voters who voted for Youngkin are a "danger to society" for voting for him.
      Just like all those racist southern rednecks who voted for Winsome Sears.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post

Just like all those racist southern rednecks who voted for Winsome Sears.
        Yep

Neanderthals. Jim Crow on steroids.

Probably not a one of them vaccinated either.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
          Fuck Joe Biden

hXO32vuZ.jpg
          Pffft. Thanksgiving is a racist White Supremacist holiday anyway. We should all replace a day of feasting with a day of self flagellation and apology for being the racists that we are who spoiled the Garden of Eden that was America pre-Columbus.

Comment

• fucking racists
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Also -- meat is murder and we should replace turkey with a soy-based substitute.

Comment

• Correct. Poor wittle birdies...
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  Also -- meat is murder and we should replace turkey with a soy-based substitute.
                  Actually, the holiday should be eliminated. The "giving of thanks" is a religious tradition, and violates the Constitution's requirement of separation of church and state.

Anyone 'giving thanks' for the existence of freedom and liberty in America is obviously a racist, and white supremacist. The Democratic Party needs to get on this important matter right away.

Comment

• Europe has become "the pandemic hot spot." Rising new case numbers are the metric being used to identify it as such. Of course, we'll probably get some knee jerk mitigation measures re-imposed by federal, state or local governments over there or certainly a halt to any easing of ones already in place.

Think back to a very well written article in the Atlantic that provided a sensible way to measure the impact of SARS2. I linked it in a post I made a week or two ago. The central point in that article was that, like we've been discussing for 6 months right here, new case numbers is a useless metric to assess the impact of and serve a a guideline to the imposition or removal if mitigation measures for mostly local outbreaks. The article set forth several ways to do that involving tracking hospitalizations, deaths and local, county level viral prevalence as measured by % positives of all new cases.

At this point I don't really care what happens in Europe mostly because the reality is that SARS2, while it is impactful to the unvaccinated on an individual basis, it really isn't going to amount to much when it comes to serious illness requiring hospitalization and ICU level care and deaths measured at a county level. We're at a stage where in most Western, Asian and ME countries that have functional economies, decently high vax rates and people are mostly productive, SARS2 appears as a manageable endemic, not an out of control pandemic.

What I do care about is that what we're seeing in Europe will be repeated in the US in the next 90-120 days. How will public health authorities respond to that? Specifically, I'm concerned that local outbreaks that for the most part are being managed without imposing or reinstating typical, early pandemic mitigation measures, are going to be generalized as a national surge by the MSM. That will be because new case numbers remain for the public the sole measure of how bad or not bad COVID related things are in the US. What's worse is that the CDC won't point out the actual minimal health risks posed by an increase in new case numbers. The people working there know this.

Something I've observed in the two years of this thing is how slow the US government bureaucracy has been adapting to new SARS2/COVID evidence and facts on the ground. That is actually only part of the problem. The other is the often contradictory and misleading public health guidance coming from the CDC. I've argued the PHE should end even though a large number of public health or related to it programs would be negatively affected by ending the PHE. I believe that is one of the reasons, not the appropriate reason, for keeping it in place. It should be ended.

The bottom line is that in the US we're going to continue to see misleading COVID related reporting from the MSM based on stale ways to measure it's impact, over-reaction to that from most Americans and untoward and unnecessary mitigation measures directed at controlling a disease, that at this point, should be recognized as a persistent virus worth tracking and continuing to study with the goal of identifying sensible ways to manage it. At the same time, not strangling mobility or curtailing social interaction will be critical. Good luck with that.
                    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 5, 2021, 09:42 AM.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The deceptive tv graphic, which if I'm not mistaken comes from either OANN or NewsMax, doesn't line up with what these articles say. The source is the same Texas A&M economist they cite.

The graphic shows a traditional roast turkey at Thanksgiving dinner. The price of full birds are up 21 cents from last year. The graphic implies you'll be paying nearly double for your bird this year. If you read what the economist actually said, what's doubled in price is boneless, skinless turkey breast that's mainly sold to delis and restaurants (for sandwiches).

I can find nothing substantiating the claim that whole bird turkeys are double what they cost last year. Everyone is in the 20-30 cents a pound range

EDIT: Based on the numbers the economist actually cited, the wholesale price of a 16 pound turkey on average has gone from $18.24 to $21.60

David Anderson, AgriLife Extension livestock economist, said turkey production is down 5 percent compared to last year, but prices have risen significantly. Fewer turkeys combined with higher food supply chain and logistical costs like feed, fuel and labor have pushed prices upward.

The national wholesale average for whole hens is $1.35 per pound, compared to $1.14 per pound this time last year, Anderson said. The five-year average per-pound price is $1.06 for those turkeys.

Wholesale boneless, skinless turkey breasts, which mostly end up in retail delicatessens and sandwich shops, were up to $3.45 per pound compared to $1.80 per pound last year with a five-year average of $2.74 per pound.

Anderson said both turkey numbers and pounds produced are at the lowest point since 2015, a response to slipping demand.

“This has a lot to do with the fact they are producing fewer turkeys,” he said. “Other factors are a part of that, but this is more to do with years of per-capita consumption dipping and longer-term demand-side issues for the turkey industry.”

https://today.tamu.edu/2021/10/20/ex...iving-turkeys/

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/11/02/texa...eys-this-year/

https://spectrumnews1.com/oh/columbu...than-last-year
                      Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; November 5, 2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• Have the turkey delivered because driving to the supermarket will cost more than the bird...
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Bob Evans will be making out Thanksgiving dinner this year. My wife says she's not cooking. The take home feast is actually a pretty decent deal.

Comment

• Funny...she's cooking for me...

...well...cookin' in a different way...

Liney:

hi!
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

Pffft. Thanksgiving is a racist White Supremacist holiday anyway. We should all replace a day of feasting with a day of self flagellation and apology for being the racists that we are who spoiled the Garden of Eden that was America pre-Columbus.

Where did your image come from? Just getting back from Krogers where a 12lb turkey cost me $16.88. Regular full retail price, the Thanksgiving sales haven't started.

Walmart, where I don't shop, has turkeys advertised today at 98 cents a pound. I'll gladly sell you as many 16lb turkeys as you want for only $50 each!
                              Last edited by Obi-Jon; November 5, 2021, 12:45 PM.
                              I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• Those must be some free range organic raised progressive turkeys.

Although I will say the cost of my turkey did double this year. All due to the rise in 12 gauge turkey loads.

Comment

Working...
                                X