Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's my feeling exactly, Cody.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
      Not a surprise. It sounded like that trial went south for those guys from day 1. I'm still trying to figure out how the guy videoing the event is guilty of "murder", but trivialities like guilty and innocence pale in significance compared to social justice.
      I can't remember all the details but I heard the prosecutor go into this in her closing argument. She likened it to a bank robbery's lookout man or getaway driver. Once you've committed yourself towards participating in a felony, you share responsibility for where that felony leads. Or something like that.

She pretty thoroughly dismantled the idea that this was a proper and just "citizen's arrest" as well. It may be particular to Georgia, I dunno. But the basic gist is that you either have to witness someone committing a crime or have it rise to the level of a felony to make a citizens arrest. Walking onto an unsecured construction site, looking around, and then leaving is misdemeanor trespassing at worst. And the fact of the matter is that there was no fence around this construction site, nor any NO TRESPASSING signs posted. So debatably you need to be warned once before you can even slap somebody with a misdemeanor. So the only possible crime they could have detained him for doesn't actually rise to the level you need.

The second criteria requires actually witnessing the crime take place and the presence of immediacy. Seeing a video of him wandering a construction site and then two months later encountering him at the grocery store does NOT allow you to whip out your gun and scream "move and i'll blow your fucking head off" in the middle of the dog food aisle UNLESS (possibly) the crime you're detaining him for is a felony class offense.

None of the three men witnessed him committing a crime the day they decided to chase him.

So I've possibly got a detail wrong but that's as I understand it

Oh I did get one thing wrong from earlier. The judge did NOT allow the prosecution to use a photo of Travis's truck showing his Confederate license plate. So pretty much all the evidence that could've prejudiced the jury into considering him a racist (the license plate, his "dumb n*gg*r" comment, his old racist facebook posts) was excluded from the trial.

Comment

• And on a related note, there's still going to be a trial for the former Brunswick DA who allegedly tried to sweep all this under the rug

A former district attorney in Georgia has been charged after allegedly interfering with the arrest of a man involved in the 2020 shooting death of 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

I can't remember all the details but I heard the prosecutor go into this in her closing argument. She likened it to a bank robbery's lookout man or getaway driver. Once you've committed yourself towards participating in a felony, you share responsibility for where that felony leads. Or something like that.
          Yeah that's a pretty dumb analogy on multiple levels. Videoing something isn't the same as "aiding" ala a getaway driver in what is a clear and obvious crime like a bank robbery. Videoing is something you specifically do when you don't intend to commit a crime.

Anyhow, tough break for the three defendants. Imagine correctly identifying the neighborhood burglar, stopping him, and then going to prison for life because you did not meet the technical requirements to conduct a citizen's arrest and the country is salivating for a pound of your flesh (thanks in no small part to the media lying about him being just out for a "jog")
          Last edited by Hannibal; November 24, 2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Imagine chasing down a guy that committed no crime, confronting him with a gun, killing him when he fought to protect himself, and then thinking that it was self defense and feeling that you were justified in your actions.

Even worse, imagine justifying these jackhole's actions.
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I thought the verdicts were entirely appropriate and if I've got this right, there was only one black person on the jury. So, white guys get multiple felony charges with one getting life (like he should) for killing a black person. Kiinda blows BLM's argument that that there will be no equity, no justice from a white jury trying white guys for killing a black man. Whites are killing blacks and get away with it.

The courts in this country still work like you'd hope they would. Score one for America.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                I thought the verdicts were entirely appropriate and if I've got this right, there was only one black person on the jury. So, white guys get multiple felony charges with one getting life (like he should) for killing a black person. Kiinda blows BLM's argument that that there will be no equity, no justice from a white jury trying white guys for killing a black man. Whites are killing blacks and get away with it.

The courts in this country still work like you'd hope they would. Score one for America.
                Yep. One cut and dried case with indisputable proof proves that there is no prejudice in America. Got it
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

Yep. One cut and dried case with indisputable proof proves that there is no prejudice in America. Got it
                  Of course there is prejudice in the US. My point was that BLM's line that there is no equity and no justice for people of color in America just took a hit in two important cases.

Secondary to that, we've seen two cases both involving the issues of racism and white supremacy and attempts by the left and the right to define these two trials as being about the warped causes the two sides support. Both of these cases demonstrate that in America's courts of law, the facts determine the verdicts not the shrill voices of the hard left or hard right spewing their non-sense.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• There's a shit ton of prejudice in America, but not against whom CGVT has been hopelessly brainwashed into thinking.

Comment

• You think these assholes were justified in killing this guy and I'm the brainwashed one?

Ha! What a fucking clown

Comment

• Both of these cases demonstrate that in America's courts of law, the facts determine the verdicts not the shrill voices of the hard left or hard right spewing their non-sense.
                        The Arbery case doesn't even see the light of day had the video of the murder not surfaced. It took two months to arrest these guys.

Comment

• So, yeah, the press as usual loves to yell "fire!!!" In this case they are harping on new COVID cases, especially in Europe but also at home, and generalizing regional outbreaks with high R values that skew national numbers in misleading ways. As usual, there's no context, you have to hunt for breakdowns by age - which are stunning, i.e., its the seniors that are going to the hospital or dying vaccinated, boosted or unvaxed. Under 40s, especially the vaccinated, are not getting sick at all or at least they are not sick enough to pursue a test or show up at the ER with COVID symptoms.

The chart below depicts the state of FL compared to the national new case numbers that, for reasons that aren't altogether clear, is not experiencing anywhere near the surge that's being experienced, for example in MI or Montana.=.

FL has a pretty average vaccination rate but people over 50 and especially over 65 have very high rates (70% and 89% respectively). But that's too simple of an explanation. Multiple factors will contribute and they form a confusing array. The NE has high vax rates and citizens that are much more conscious of applying the panoply of mitigation measures (social distancing, masks inside or not going inside at all, etc.). Yet, Massachusetts is experiencing a daily average of 41 cases per 100K while FL is experiencing just 7. Makes no sense and helps to illuminate why Geezer struggles with the low rate of COVID infections in a largely unvaccinated population on the African continent. Spoiler, it's not likely Ivermectin or Hydroxychloroquin taken prophylactically. The truth is, we don't know why with enough certainty to identify key factors that confer immunity.

We just don't know why these wide discrepancies in measured COVID outcomes occur when trying to keep variables (mitigation measures, social behaviors and mobility, vaccination rates) constant across compared regions or locals. It's frustrating.

A common sense rule of thumb is if your county has a comparatively high viral prevalence, your at a higher risk of catching it yourself vaxed or unvaxed. The opposite is equally true. TBH, if your under 50, even in high viral prevalence locales your risk is significantly less than your risk of having an MVA while driving your car .... you don't stop driving do you? So, carry on. If your over 50, its a different story, over 70 suggests you should take precautions. There are other things to consider. If your under 50 vaxed or unvaxed and your going to be in close contact with vulnerable people, think about wearing a mask - I know, they suck, don't have a lot of evidence they do anything but for the circumstances I've described, you may keep that vulnerable senior your hanging out with from getting really sick.

Anyway, endeavor to act responsibly and with a bit more caution that you might have approached the holidays in 2018. But let go of the anxiety and enjoy them.

FL Rates.JPG
                          Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 24, 2021, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• Yep. One cut and dried case with indisputable proof proves that there is no prejudice in America. Got it
                            The disease of prejudice in America is not exclusive to the white race. It infects all races, so you are correct. Prejudice still exists.
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Speaking of things not seeing the light of day, we now have hard confirmation that the media is actively lying about Waukesha. It was a deliberate attack, and not just a poorly chosen "escape" route or an accident. The criminal complaint, including an eyewitness account from an officer on the scene, is below.

https://www.waukeshacounty.gov/globa...omp7347101.pdf

The vehicle then got to the intersection of East Main Street and NW Barstow Street, and it
                              appeared the brakes were activated. Office Butryn believed the vehicle was going to come to a
                              stop and attempt to make a right hand turn out of the parade route,onto NW Barstow Street.
                              However, the vehicle then appeared to rapidly accelerate, as Officer Butryn heard tires squeal.

The vehicle took an abrupt left turn into the crowd of parade participants. At this point, it was
                              clear to Officer Butryn that this was an intentional act to strike and hurt as many people as

possible.
                              Officer Butryn continued to run westbound on East Main Street,trailing the vehicle
                              and its path. He observed the vehicle appeared to be intentionally moving side to side, striking
                              multiple people, and bodies and objects were flying from the area of the vehicle.
                              As Officer
                              Butryn got to the area of the Subway restaurant on East Main Street, Officer Butryn began to
                              encounter multiple casualties. Multiple people were pulling at him,saying that they needed
                              assistance with injured parties. Based on the on-going threat of the vehicle and the occupant,
                              Officer Butryn asked those assisting with the casualties as he passed, if they were breathing,
                              and advised them to stay with them and that ambulances were on the way. Officer Butryn
                              continued to chase after the vehicle on foot in order to stop the threat the driver posed.

Detective Casey spoke with Officer Scholten, who indicated he saw the Ford Escape traveling
                              southbound on West Main Street,approaching Wisconsin Avenue,running over people.
                              Officer Scholtenshot at the vehicle three times, striking it three times.

Detective Trussoni spoke with multiple citizen witnesses who were present during the parade.
                              One witness indicated,As I continued to watch the SUV, it continued to drive in a zig zag
                              motion. It was like the SUV was trying to avoid vehicles, not people. There was no attempt
                              made by the
                              vehicle to stop, much less slow down.”
                              By tomorrow, it will be fully memory-holed and you will be labeled a "white supremacist" for even mentioning it.
                              Last edited by Hannibal; November 24, 2021, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• CNN -- it's just an "incident"

14d4d369b66fc4e9.png

Attached Files
                                Last edited by Hannibal; November 24, 2021, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X