No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1619 Project creator states the obvious -- "The 1619 Project is so important for young people." https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/l...rence-83607780

That's why, of course, she's created a 1619 Project curriculum that is now taught nationwide in at least 3500 classrooms as well as being adopted in toto by various city school districts such as Chicago and Buffalo and DC. https://www.educationnext.org/1619-p...nificant-cost/

So, yeah, that's shooting fish in a barrel.

What about other more CRT-based teaching.

Let's start with Illinois which has adopted the Culturally Responsive Teaching and Learning Standards (https://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar...40000500R.html). It's worth reading the entire CRT (L) standards (I appreciate Illinois making it so fucking easy for me), but here's a nice snippet:

Systems of Oppression – Culturally responsive teachers and leaders understand that there are systems in our society, especially, but not limited to, our school system, that create and reinforce inequities, thereby creating oppressive conditions. Educators work actively against these systems in their everyday roles in educational institutions. The culturally responsive teacher and leader will:

1) Understand the difference between prejudice, discrimination, racism, and how to operate at the interpersonal, intergroup, and institutional levels.

2) Collaborate with colleagues to determine how students from different backgrounds experience the classroom, school, or district.

3) Know and understand how the system of inequity has impacted them as an educator.

4) Understand how current curriculum and approaches to teaching impact students who are not a part of the dominant culture.

5) Be aware of the effects of power and privilege and the need for social advocacy and social action to better empower diverse students and communities.

6) Understand how a system of inequity creates rules regarding student punishment that negatively impact students of color.

7) Understand how a system of inequity reinforces certain suppositions as the norm.
    And as a sort of general summary document -- Culturally Response Teaching in the 50 states (https://d1y8sb8igg2f8e.cloudfront.ne...-28_130012.pdf)

Teachers are the drivers of culturally responsive practices in schools and classrooms. But without the appropriate training and support, even the most well-meaning teachers can unwittingly provide instruction that is irrelevant, ineffective, and even antagonistic to today’s diverse learners. Research concludes that recruiting a more racially diverse teaching workforce can dramatically improve cultural responsiveness in schools, but demographic parity is unlikely to be achieved in the coming years. Therefore, all teachers, regardless of background, benefit from support in reaching the diverse learners they are likely to serve.

Unfortunately, teacher preparation programs and professional development systems across the country are not sufficiently preparing educators to bring CRT to life in the classroom. Consider: while some educator preparation programs are now required to offer coursework on teaching diverse students, these courses are often narrow and disconnected from the mainstream curriculum. In-service support and development fall short as well, as confirmed by teachers themselves. For instance, a 2018 survey of New York City teachers conducted by the Metropolitan Center for Research on Equity and the Transformation of Schools, found that fewer than one in three teachers had received ongoing professional development on how to address issues of race and ethnicity in the classroom.
    CRT includes a number of different competencies including:

Competency 2: Recognize and redress bias in the system Culturally responsive educators seek to deepen their understanding of how social markers (such as race, ethnicity, social class, and language) influence the educational opportunities that learners receive. Sonia Nieto suggests that teachers ask questions like: “Where are the best teachers assigned?” “Which students take advanced courses?” and “Where are resources allocated?” Teachers further engage with literature and professional learning opportunities to learn more about how institutional racism and other forms of bias (e.g., racism, sexism, homophobia, and classism) at an institutional level can result in disadvantaging some groups of learners while privileging others. Teachers who are informed about institutional bias, accept that not all learners are equally rewarded for their hard work. They advocate for the disruption of harmful school and district-level practices, policies, and norms. Conversely, teachers who are poorly informed about institutional biases may blame learners and perceived cultural deficiencies for academic achievement disparities.
    The paper goes on to assess how many states have statewide standards that address each competency. It's a little outdated because, e.g., California has fully adopted the CRT framework (as has Illinois).

Well, wait, Talent -- very clever -- you're using "Culturally Responsive Teaching" as a stand-in for "Critical Race Theory" -- you know, one CRT doesn't necessarily equal the other CRT! Hey -- fair point. Let's prove this shit up.

From the California FAQ on Critical Race Theory:

How does CRT relate to education?

In 1995, the scholars Gloria Ladson-Billings and William F. Tate began applying the principles of CRT to the field of education as a way to understand inequities within the education system. CRT argues that legal interventions, while helpful and essential to the cause of eradicating discriminatory aspects of the education system, are not by themselves sufficient to promote equality in schools. For example, merely ending legal segregation did not appropriately address de facto racism nor the systemic impact of factors like housing, demographic patterns, and funding mechanisms and decisions.
    And then from the earlier-linked document summarizing Culturally Responsive Teaching:

What is Culturally Responsive Teaching?

Several frameworks exist for culturally responsive approaches (e.g., culturally responsive education, culturally relevant teaching, and culturally congruent teaching), each outlining various components. Capturing the history and broad base of scholarship on CRT is not possible here as there are decades of research and analysis. However, outlining the seminal work of key scholars and teacher educators Gloria Ladson-Billings, Geneva Gay, and Django Paris is a necessary starting point. Over two decades ago, Gloria Ladson-Billings introduced the term culturally relevant pedagogy to describe a form of teaching that calls for engaging learners whose experiences and cultures are traditionally excluded from mainstream settings.
    Wait, so Gloria Ladson-Billings began applying principles of CRT to the field of education and Glorida Ladson-Billings is also the seminal creator and introduer of the term "culturally relevant pedagogy"? Well, shit, man, seems like there is a clear fucking straight-line from CRT to CRT. Good job, Talent -- you proved that shit up, HARD!

Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• So, obviously the 1619 Project is taught in lots of schools. And moreover, principles of Culturally Responsive Teaching, which is directly based on Critical Race Theory, are taught all over the country and some states have adopted the 8 competencies of Culturally Responsive Teaching full-on.

Now, you may thing this is a good thing. I'm sure lots of smart people do. And you may think it's a bad thing. I'm sure lots of smart people do. But what you can't possibly conclude -- unless you want to ignore a shitpile of FACTS -- is that the 1619 Project and CRT (either one) are not playing at least some clear role in education. Now, that role will vary from school district to school district -- AS IT SHOULD, and even from state-to-state. But, it's there. It's real. And it ain't 0.0001% of the State School board that are doing it. STATE. As in entire fucking state.

So, you know, that was a ton of fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
        I wish you were in isolation.
        I wish you were indicted

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

True, I'm mainly thinking in states. It's already begun on that level. I'm not sure if even in Oklahoma a ban on ALL abortion has majority support. But would it cause anyone to switch their vote is another question. Maybe not in isolation, but you put it alongside some other conservative social issues being rammed through and maybe.
          Yeah, I'm not sure. My personal feeling is that a fairly clear majority -- NATIONALLY -- of voters probably don't much care if abortion limits are anywhere from 12 weeks or so to 24 weeks or so. I think people generally get squeamish when they can walk through a NICU and see babies that could have been aborted and I think people generally want to give women a fair time period to decide. That's purely my own sense. So, IMO, fiddling around in that range won't move the needle. 6 weeks, though, moves the needle. But, again, NATIONALLY. Probably not in Oklahoma. It's like when/if a state like NY says abortion is ok up to the minute before birth -- moves the needle nationally, but not in NY.

I dunno. As a matter of pure politics, it's an interesting issue. You're probably one of the few people I could actually talk about this issue with in those terms w/o immediately veering into something personal or whatever. So, you know, go fuck yourself!

Comment

I wish you were indicted
            Not indicted. That's a "nothingburger". Convicted and sentenced to immediate death by firing squad or rattlesnake bites. That's what you're going for.

Comment

• Offhand note - Both Ukrainian and some independent russian media are drawing attention today to the fact that Russia's defense minister (Shoigu) hasn't made any live tv appearances in 12 days. Pre-war it was the norm for him to show up every couple days or so. There are rumors he's having "heart problems".

Comment

My wife teaches 3rd grade at a public school and they are attempting to get curriculum going at that level next year for CRT teaching so you can't tell me it's a nothing burger. This is in the fucking midwest...IN 3RD FUCKING GRADE. They already are forcing similar shit now to teachers...so she is quitting after this year. My sister teaches in the public schools in NY State...she teaches 5th grade...it's already underway there and has been. She is going to retire partly due to BS like this. Don't tell me it's a fucking "Nothing Burger"...
                Well said. You guys know I'm involved in a bunch of charter schools. The teaching of CRT in government schools has substantially increased the number of families that seek entry into charters. That is just a fact. The charters I know best are roughly 95% "free and reduced lunch" which, when translated, means "black and brown". The vast majority of black parents just want a fair shot for their kids, not some sort of victimology that makes the kid feel "less than". That is what the market is saying and to even entertain the idea that CRT is a nothing burger is preposterous. When the DOD labels parents as domestic terrorists when they complain at school board meetings, that is an issue. The Rs will be too stupid to use this issue as it should be used, but it is powerful.

Remember, teacher tenure from K to Grad school is the linchpin of the demise of public education. Teacher unionization really started in the mid 80s. and the decline in the quality of education started at the same time..

Eliminate tenure
                Put cameras in classrooms (use the same cameras that police must carry)
                Fire the bad teachers
                Raise the pay of the good teachers.

Comment

• EFZ. Nobody wants this except left wing loony progs. Black parents don't want it.

Teach.Fucking.History. Period. Teach it accurate. Knock off the indoctrination and division.
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Offhand note - Both Ukrainian and some independent Russian media are drawing attention today to the fact that Russia's defense minister (Shoigu) hasn't made any live tv appearances in 12 days. Pre-war it was the norm for him to show up every couple days or so. There are rumors he's having "heart problems".
                    It's pretty clear that he's run afoul of Vlad and Minister Shoigu is a perfect example of Putin surrounding himself with yes-men instead of competent soldiers. It is my belief such soldiers exist in the Russian armed forces. But one of the disadvantages of autocratic governments, especially where the leader is isolated to the degree Putin appears to be, is the organization is slow to adapt. In an autocracy, there is, by it's nature, less decentralization of decision making. You can see this with the apparent inability of Russian commanders in the field from the Regimental level and below to adapt on the fly to battlefield circumstances. They are trained to check with superiors and that may go up really far in the Russian chain of military command.

Putin has only himself to blame for the ineptitude his army has displayed in Ukraine. Shoigu, we can confidently say, fucked this up but it's Putin's isolation and how his one man show approach dictates poor results.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The last time Shoigu and Putin have been seen in the same room was Feb. 27, three days after the invasion started

Comment

• Whats yer point?
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Whats yer point?
                          I wish someone would show YOU the point...of a sword...in your gut...so you finally know how your customers feel

Comment

• Ok
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

My wife teaches 3rd grade at a public school and they are attempting to get curriculum going at that level next year for CRT teaching so you can't tell me it's a nothing burger. This is in the fucking midwest...IN 3RD FUCKING GRADE. They already are forcing similar shit now to teachers...so she is quitting after this year. My sister teaches in the public schools in NY State...she teaches 5th grade...it's already underway there and has been. She is going to retire partly due to BS like this. Don't tell me it's a fucking "Nothing Burger"...
                              My wife is currently taking mandatory DEI classes from her employer that consists of 6 two-hour sessions in the evening outside normal work hours. Her brother is a police chief and he's counting the days til he can retire because the stress of the current landscape for LE is becoming too much, especially when you're responsible for the entire department. He just turned 50 so he'd normally have at least another 10 good years of service but, like so many others, he's fleeing the profession he used to love. His woke mayor banned the pursuit of criminal suspects on foot last year after Lightfoot did the same in Chicago and it's very apparent that one misstep by any of his officers and the shit will hit the fan.

Same can be said of other people I know that are cops/teachers. Unless they are full-on woke/prog, they want to get the fuck out.

Comment

• I really think you're seeing things that aren't there, Mike. These are all phantom bogeymen, Ethereal apparations conjured by right-wing skirt-clutchers. In short, please ignore all real-world and lived experiences as well as a pile of facts and trust The Party. Also, please acknowledge that it's impossible to say what a woman is if you're not a formallly trained biologist.

Comment

Working...
                                X