No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dugin is well to the right of Putin and the Russian Far Right has been very critical of how the war has been conducted.
    I've got a different take on Dugin. While this is the first I've heard of Dugin who is described as "Putin's Brain" or his Rasputin, the two share similar views as evidenced by the published writings of both Putin and other Russian Nationalists. In the most recent articles about Dugin, brought about by the killing of his daughter, he is described as an ultra, right wing-nationalist. The last decade of Putin's presidency, especially has actions since 2014 with respect to Ukraine, has unmasked Putin. He should be regarded presently as not the democratic leader he had hoped to present himself to western leaders like Merkel as. Merkle, and others in the west, had hoped to see him as a Russian who could be dealt with through engaging him in the global market place. He fostered that view. It turns out, and not to my surprise, to be a fascist dictator - the quintessential Russian ultra nationalist.

Putin's and his inner circle's (e.g. Medvedev's), writings over the last couple of years reflect their strong belief about the ascendency of Russia, it's role in reshaping the established world order and doing that through challenging the US as the preeminent world power. Now that I'm reading more about Dugin, that is him in a nutshell. Dugin can afford to take a more radical viewpoint of how Russia should act on the world stage while Putin, in contrast, still has to deal with traditional ways of diplomacy as Russia's head of state dealing with his counterpart state leaders. That is especially true of the NATO alliance which I don't believe Putin has any misconceptions that a united NATO would force concessions on Russia in any conventional conflict in Europe between the Russian armed forces and NATO's armed forces.

I think a case can be made that Dugin could be Putin's front man as its pretty clear Putin has shed any pretense that he wants to operate within the context of the established world order that the western alliance has dominated since 1945 and the defeat of Nazi Germany. OTH, given the reality of the capabilities of NATO in any conflict that might flair in Europe, Putin's rational side directs him to tread more softly than his unbridled and ruthless fascist side would have him act.
    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; August 21, 2022, 04:55 PM.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I guess the moral of the story is that if your dad is one of Putin's henchmen, don't borrow his car.
      I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
        I didn’t need a 3-3 result, though, Talent.
        What was your bet?

Comment

• Also,.Leeds United kicked the crap out of Chelsea. Jessie March was laying it on thick after.the game.

Comment

• This may work for IRS agents too...

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

What was your bet?
              Obviously NUFC to win, probably at around +400.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Yeah. Newcastle to win. +385. When they went up 3-1 at 54’, thought it was a done deal.

Bah.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• They were lucky to get the tie. Nick Pope earned his money today.. That pass from KDB to Bernardo was awesome.

Comment

• Eh, NUFC missed a couple great chances in the first half. City missed several in 2H. Could have been 5-5. Draw was fair result.

Comment

• The last time Leeds beat Chelsea was in 2002 when they won 2-0, one of those goals was scored by James Miller, he was 16 at the time.

Comment

• I watched Leeds play in the CL Semifinals. They had a strong club. I'm really glad they're back up and look to stay up. The other club I'd like to see make it back is Wednesday, but that's years from happening at the moment.

Comment

• How did you become a fan of Sheffield Wednesday?
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I wouldn't say a fan, but I always liked the team name and they were, once, a big club. I have a soft spot for bigger clubs that fell on hard times. I rooted for Aston Villa to get promoted a few years ago, too.

Now, my brother, for some reason, adopted Ipswich Town as his side. Heh. He's way worse off than me and my formerly doomed NUFC fandom. Even under asshat Ashley, NUFC was still in that 14-22 range of English football. Now the Crown Princes are poised to ascend with some alacrity. I mean, early last January they were as bad as any side in the EPL. Utterly dour. The signing window brought them to life and they've been a top 5-6 side since.

My brother has no such hope w/ the Tractor Boys.

Comment

• The pic of Trump was altered. I think I commented on the photo from this golf outing. lol. Media and politics.

A photo of Donald Trump at a golf tournament has been digitally altered to add extra fat and wrinkles to his face.

Comment

• I love that when Vardy would score against Sheffield United he would go straight to United supporter section to celebrate because he was a born and bred Wednesday fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X