No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mostly true comments in this thread. I forgot that Elon’s offer to buy Twitter was largely chosen so he could make a weed joke

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

Don't sell Ron short. He's a very smart guy and he will approach a contest with Trump in a way that nobody ever has. He can go on stage and credibly say that he has done more for the MAGA agenda as the Florida governor than Trump did in four years as President. He's going to win over huge amounts of pepole who want "Trumpism without Trump'. And that's exactly what he's doing to do. Trump has not faced that before. He has faced off against Liberals, RINOS, and aloof idealogues like Ted Cruz. I don't know if it will be enough, because Trump does have that massive cult of personality thing going for him. But DeSantis has more than a puncher's chance. I'm tellin' y'all, he can win. I'm not predicting it but all bets are off.
      If Tuesday goes as expected, Trump will be able to claim that his chosen candidates (with $ 52 million in Dem funding) won primaries and then were elected. That is a powerful message.

OTOH, DeSantis should not hesitate running against Trump for the reasons you state. At some point, you have to beat the "king" in order to be the king. Now is DeSantis' time. Trumpism without Trump is a powerful message too. DeSantis would beat Trump in the primaries, but it would be a close call as to whether Trump would run third-party. That would be a disaster for the country. But I doubt if Trump would care.

Comment

• DSL: You are an honest Dem. Can you explain the repeated phrase that "if Rs win the midterms, democracy will be extinguished"? I just don't understand that.

I heard Beschloss, MSNBC's favorite historian, say that if the Rs win that the children of Dems will be taken from them and imprisoned. https://www.mediaite.com/tv/michael-...ivably-killed/ (right at the end, about 2:37)

Where do the Ds come up with this?

In my definition of democracy, if the party out of power throws out the party in power, that seems like a functioning "democracy". Does "losing our Democracy" just mean that the Democrat Party loses?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

I think you are wishcasting qualities onto DeSantis he doesn't have IMO.
          I could be guilty of some of that, but not 100%. Ron has done a lot of stuff that for years I have been thinking "man I wish somebody would do that". I agree that he is prickly and likeability is a challenge for him. However, the PR stunt of sending immigrants to Martha's Vineyard is exactly the type of winning move that the R base loves. He's on tape reminding college kids that they don't have to wear masks. He bucked the national trend on Covid and he looks like a prophet for that. He is going to cruise to reelection in Florida despite being pretty much 100% Right Wing in his governance (at least on everything that makes the news).

I disagree that he doesn't take attacks as well. He counters them with substance. Trump counters them with insults, which does work sometimes, but I think that approach is going to have a lot less power in 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaGeezer View Post
            DSL: You are an honest Dem. Can you explain the repeated phrase that "if Rs win the midterms, democracy will be extinguished"? I just don't understand that.

I heard Beschloss, MSNBC's favorite historian, say that if the Rs win that the children of Dems will be taken from them and imprisoned. https://www.mediaite.com/tv/michael-...ivably-killed/ (right at the end, about 2:37)

Where do the Ds come up with this?

In my definition of democracy, if the party out of power throws out the party in power, that seems like a functioning "democracy". Does "losing our Democracy" just mean that the Democrat Party loses?
            Some of its fearmongering. Look lots of people on both sides push cynical strategies because they believe in one "conventional wisdom" that's increasingly not true: high turnout favors Democrats. This false belief underlies why Democrats keep pushing for easier access and Republicans push for tighter restrictions. I think most of the cries of "Jim Crow on steroids!" and "Election fraud is everywhere!" are driven by people who don't really care about what they're saying, they just think it will aid their party.

I think there are legit concerns regarding some of the people running for state offices. Mark Finchem running for Sec of State in Arizona is one of them. The guy running for Sec of State in Nevada (name escapes me) is another. People that promoted batshit QAnon type conspiracy theories in the last election, want to eliminate all voting machines and count by hand, and/or promise to not certifiy any victory by the opposing party, have no business serving in those positions IMO.

Comment

• Voting machines and almost everything else are really a distraction. Machines can be hand verified, if necessary. It's ballot box stuffing that's the real danger. And once it happens, the pool is tainted.

Comment

• Fascinating.

Comment

• I haven't posted on COVID for a while because it faded into the background, wasn't even soft noise. People forgot about it as they returned to normal living and loved it. Nothing at all wrong with that. Sorry, this got long and has TMI. IMO, it's a good read in the context of increasing bull-shit COVID news.

Stories are cropping up in the headline news. The headlines all scream "rising case numbers, hospitalizations and deaths" (implied you should be scared and move to your basement). Most epidemiologist think the leveling off of BA.5 infections (the prevalent Omicron variant) after months of decreasing occurrence rates and the rise in other COVID metrics are a result of two circumstances:
                  • (1) More people to people contact - people moving indoors, schools back in session, resuming normal travel and lifestyle behaviors.
                  • (2) The rise of 6 variants (I'll spare you the names) that are more infective and better at evading human immune responses. One of more of these variants will outcompete BA.5 and replace it - that is the normal pattern of viruses. Nothing to see here.
                  I'm among those that are behind vaccinations as an effective preventative measure but, for me, it's a personal decision. I'm against any kind of vaccine mandate. I have the initial Pfizer series and both boosters, the last considered to be "bivalent" as it covers old and new variants. That's all well and good. Case study of one: I haven't had any URI's and definitely not COVID and I've done a lot of cruises in the ships that are congregate settings and by nature more risky for disease transmission. Not long ago cruise ships were designated as COVID Death Traps. Like a lot of COVID things, that has proven to be absolutely false.

The way SARS 2 attaches to respiratory tissue cells and gets a foot hold in one's body is well understood and every vaccine to date targets that attachment mechanism (again I'll spare the details). But vaccination and previous and repeated exposure will improve your cellular immune system's ability to fight off the development of COVID from an infection with SARS2 regardless of the variant. You also have a second line of defense, your white cells of the humeral or adaptive immune system, specifically B-Cells. These cells are known to prevent serious illness and death from SARS2 infections and the resultant COVID disease. Side note, COVID vaccines stimulate B-Cell production in the bone marrow improving the humeral immune system's response to SARS2 entering the body.

Basically, new variants evolve to improve how they attach to the spike protein at the cellular level but it is the same mechanics interrupted in varying degrees by each successive vaccine. There should be no hand wringing and no alarm over these 6 new variants competing for dominance. The evidence suggests the newer variants are not producing more illness just more new infections. If the media focuses on new case numbers as the lead headline, which it still tends to do, uninformed readers/listeners stop right there and start worrying. The MSM is now listing hospitalizations and deaths. What they don't explain and should is that the math of rising case numbers will unequivocally lead to more illness, not necessarily more deaths. It is also important to know that illness and death rates across age and health status cohorts are not uniform ..... you all know this. Most people don't.

Nothing has changed in this regard. If you are under 40 and not saddled with risk factors, you're going to have the common cold. Even under 50, the numbers don't change much. More moderately unpleasant symptoms following exposure increase with age with 80 year olds suffering the highest hospitalization and death rates. If at some time going forward you are over 50 or have co-morbid risk factors, you get COVID symptoms, seek out testing and test positive, start out by finding test to treat facilities. There's a web site to help you find one of these.

Test to treat facilities will give you a course of Paxlovid. Say what you will about this drug as there is a shit-load of misinformation out there about it. Infected people who take Paxlovid within 3-5 days of testing positive are at the top of the bell curve for getting better in 7-10d post starting the drug. Few in this group need hospital admission. Yes, Big Pharma makes money. Yes, like with any pharmaceutical, disease preventing therapy, there are failures, recurring symptoms after treatment and adverse side effects. These are on the margins. In my past practice, patient's presenting with URIs, depending on the testing and diagnose were, either treated with Tamiflu or a Z-Pack. They got better faster (3-5d) if they took one of those drugs compared to those that didn't.... often with symptoms for up to 30d depending on age. COVID isn't either of these diseases but like Tamiflu, Paxlovid is an anti-viral agent that works way better than Tamiflu against its target viruses. Azithromycin (Z-Pack) is an antibacterial agent targeted against mycoplasma pneumoniae. It works really well in a DX of Mycoplasma Pneumonia - a rather mild case involving a productive cough, no lung consolidation as in other forms of Pneumonia.

There are different patterns for the immunocompromised. If you're not in this cohort, you have little to worry about.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Comment

• nbc took that video down

wonder why

another intersting little tidbit about maricopa county in 2020

Breaking: AZ Auditors Reveal Massively Disturbing Results in 2020 Election (westernjournal.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
                        nbc took that video down

wonder why

another intersting little tidbit about maricopa county in 2020

Breaking: AZ Auditors Reveal Massively Disturbing Results in 2020 Election (westernjournal.com)
                        The article's literally from 15 months ago. Sounds like CyberNinjas will get to the bottom of this though. But they could use some money, surely you're willing to help out, fellow patriot?

Comment

• oops linked the wrong link

so this happened in the arizona senate yesterday. audit of 5% of the ballots in arizona maricopa county in 2020

results basically shows 20% of ballot audited roughly 20000 ballots were illegal or highly questionable . the sound doesnt pick up util the 10 minute mark

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...I--IXpZfTFFWvu

Comment

• Saw it on twitter/internet so it must be true.
                            I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• Its good to see someone in The Chairman's party is calling him out over the stupidity of his statements.

Joe Manchin caved on the budget, but when The Chairman starts talking about shutting down coal mines, he's gone too far. And Manchin is 100% correct.

Sen. Joe Manchin tore into President Biden for comments on Friday in which he said that coal plants will be shut down and replaced with renewable energy.

My apologies to those who don't like to sully themselves with Fox News links, but the rest of the MSM isn't reporting Manchin's comments.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• No problem in linking that niche network that only 52% of Americans watch for their news.

Comment

Working...
                                X