No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chairman and/or The Party responded to shooting in California with more calls for gun bans and, less prominently, reiterating the Asian hate stuff. Of note, California law bans the guns used, so The Chairman wants to ban-ban the guns used and the suspected shooter is Asian.

It's not exactly JIM CROW ON STEROIDS!!!! bad, but it's just more of The Party being The Party. The Narrative >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Facts
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      Dr. Strangelove won't ever get angry of Progressive culture shifts. Only happy. And while I'll reserve judgment on the new 1984, I wouldn't be surprised to see it comply, almost entirely, with "the message." Actually, it would surprise me if it didn't.

But here's something to be outraged over. Well, STILL outraged over. Remember when The Chairman called Georgia voting laws "Jim Crow 2.0" and "Jim Crow on Steroids" and nearly every other D jumped on board with the Jim Crow line and eventually MLB was forced to move the All-Star game to a state with MORE restrictive voting rights? Do you remember the open and overt LIES that served to undermine faith in elections? Well, it turns out that, according to a University of Georgia survey, 0% of black folks said their 2022 voting experience was "poor". And 72% said it was "excellent" and another 23% said it was "good" -- virtually identical to white folks. https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...tm_term=second

So, you had the Leader of the Free World engaging in total race-baiting lies that were egregious and insulting to anyone actually familiar with Jim Crow AND served to undermine confidence in elections all in the name of trying to federalize every goddamn election AND then forcing MLB to move the ASG from Atlanta to a state with more restrictive voting rights -- but a D State! -- AND then having 96% of AAs say their voting experience under the JIM CROW ON STEROIDS!!!!! law was good or excellent and ZERO fucking percent saying it was poor.

There's your fucking Democratic party. On full fucking display. And as much as DSL would like to forget all about that bullshit and pigeonhole it, it goddamn well happened and merits real, honest outrage.
      Every so often Talent post something cogent and lucid.
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• As a general point on the ruination of various IP franchises in film, tv and gaming -- I certainly don't object to the telling "woke" stories with "strong female leads" and whatever. Tell them all you want. If they're good, they'll sell. If not, they won't. However, I do object using a franchise to tell those stories because you want to capitalize on the associated goodwill with zero interest in any sort of faithfulness to the original source material. I'd rather you just be honest and make the movie you want to make and sell it on its own merits. I reckon I'll think the same about 1984.

It's not anything I get particularly irate over. It's actually more laughable. Ghosterbusters 2016, Rings of Power, She-Hulk, Velma....eh, I mean it's mostly just hilarious at how bad they are. And people sort of vote with their money on that.

The education bleed of the cultural marxism is where I have "culture war" issues. For sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
          I wish I could like Talent's post about 10 times.
          I wish I could tell you to STFU 10 times.
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Along Hannibal's line of thinking, the cancelled Gina Carano is making some cheapie action film where she's a badass gunslinger in the Old West and now her former allies are turning on her and the Daily Wire because, in their view, any film where a woman is the protagonist or is kind of a badass is "woke".

Don't get me wrong. The movie likely sucks.

Daily Wire Fans Are Turning on Gina Carano | The Mary Sue

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post

Every so often Talent post something cogent and lucid.
              That's only because I post about Georiga every few hours and, well, there's really no disputing anything I say other than to say "no mas, I can't bear to hear how wrong I was again."

Gotta play to me strengths, dickbrain!

Comment

• I'd say end of the first quarter of the Talent-DSL Super Bowl...Talent 42 DSL 0.
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Talent -- people keep voting with their wallets, and yet it keeps happening. it keeps happening because the people who make it happen are willing to sacrifice billions of dollars on it. It's a propaganda cost to them, not a profit center.

Remember that politics is downstream of culture. I didn't used to think much of the culture war stuff either. But it's real.

Comment

• Entertainment is downstream education. The headwaters are in academia and then K-12 curricula. That's my focus and concern.

Comment

As a general point on the ruination of various IP franchises in film, tv and gaming -- I certainly don't object to the telling "woke" stories with "strong female leads" and whatever. Tell them all you want. If they're good, they'll sell. If not, they won't. However, I do object using a franchise to tell those stories because you want to capitalize on the associated goodwill with zero interest in any sort of faithfulness to the original source material. I'd rather you just be honest and make the movie you want to make and sell it on its own merits. I reckon I'll think the same about 1984.

It's not anything I get particularly irate over. It's actually more laughable. Ghosterbusters 2016, Rings of Power, She-Hulk, Velma....eh, I mean it's mostly just hilarious at how bad they are. And people sort of vote with their money on that.

The education bleed of the cultural marxism is where I have "culture war" issues. For sure.
                      Ghostbusters 2016 (and for that matter the more recent Paul Rudd sequel) along with Velma treat the source material with disrespect. Or I take that back, the Paul Rudd film treats it with TOO much respect and is constantly doing the 'member berries' thing in your face.

Rings of Power. and She-Hulk I would like to watch before judging. I would just say that Tolkien would probably be far more offended by the fart jokes and body humor that infests all the Peter Jackson movies than by having Galadriel play a prominent role. I believe Tolkien described Galadriel as being pretty powerful, after all.

The thing about She-Hulk is that the most popular version of that character was created by John Byrne and it had a good run in the late 80's/early 90's. It was an extremely un-serious, tongue in cheek comic with lots, LOTS of breaking the 4th wall and meta jokes insomuch as meta jokes existed back then. From everything I've seen (none of the actual show) they were trying to bring THAT version to tv. They may have failed spectacularly, but it probably wasn't because they had contempt for the source material. IMO it's probably just a tough thing to adapt for tv.

Incidentally, the very first run of She-Hulk in the late 70's was little more than a Hulk knock-off but with a woman instead. Most of that run is utterly forgettable. Byrne is the one who made that character popular, fun, (and a sex symbol in a way) a decade later.

Comment

• I'd also predict you'll see a market response to Top Gun. The movies made this year were generally in production for what -- years -- before 2022? Big ticket films take awhile, so the market response will be delayed, but I reckon you'll see it. I mean, I guess all the studios could be collectively in on their own version of ESG, but all it takes is one. All it takes is one studio that wants to fill the void.

Shit, man, Tyler Sheridan has earned himself the equivalent of Island Country GDP selling stories to the massively underserved market. Fuck, Gutfeld, who isn't particularly funny (IMO), is killing ratings because he's the only fucker willing to actually mock the Left. The response will come, Hannibal. You're still gonna have your "ESG"-type movies, but I fully expect more, well, real films.

And, eventually, someone is going to discover that you can have a female lead that is like virtually every other female/male lead before "the Message" took root and that you can write her as flawed, complex and eventually able to succeed.

But the education shit -- that's harder to deal with because you can't get into Academia -- or rather, it's like charging the stone wall at Fredericksburg. It's a really hard mission.

Comment

Entertainment is downstream education
                          Entertainment gives people pre-programmed emotional responses to certain stimuli. They are both hugely important. The Left having controlled the apparatuses that entertain us has been hugely instrumental in creating the dysfunctional culture that we have now.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                            I'd say end of the first quarter of the Talent-DSL Super Bowl...Talent 42 DSL 0.
                            That means that we've already seen the inverted "End Racism" in the endzone 6 times already..
                            Pretty soon, it's going to REALLY reach critical mass!

Comment

• As I've noted on She Hulk, it's fundamentally a very unfunny comedy. However, She Hulk still has "mary sue" issues that, while not central to its failure, can't be missed.

I don't know if the original version's character was like the Hulk -- who faced constant problems trying to control his temper and other flaws that, well, are at least endearing in some regard or if she was obviously superior to the Hulk in every way.

As for, say, Ghosterbusters, the reason the source material is so shat upon is to serve "the message." It's also just not funny and badly bloated.

But, again, I don't care as much about this shit. It's more funny than cause for alarm. The only thing in the "woke" area I was even miffed about was Rion Johnson's destruction of Luke Skywalker and the preposterous genius of Admiral Holdo. That sucked. But, I mean, I didn't even mind Ray even though she was boring as all shit. I thought her a dull character but nonoffensive.

Comment

• When I heard they were making a She-Hulk show I was hoping it would essentially be a live-action rip-off of Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law.. For those who don't know, that was an early Adult Swim cartoon in which Harvey Birdman represented Hanna-Barbera characters week after week in court. Many of whom were long-forgotten and obscure. Obviously with more adult jokes.

Just have She-Hulk defending a different C-list Marvel villain in court every week and let the jokes fly. That's all it had to be. They clearly just needed a show to satisfy a quota so why not make something goofy, fun, and unconnected to anything else.

Comment

Working...
                                X