No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You had already passed on Georgia and the new UGA poll and were neck deep in your spirited defense of She Hulk when the Razor landed.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I see that Wiz is selling his car.

Screenshot 2023-01-25 7.55.08 PM.png
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Is the trunk corpse included?
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

There’s a big difference between the original 70’s She-Hulk and the late 80’s/ early 90’s version as written by John Byrne (one of the greatest comics creators Post 1980). The latter was way more self deprecating and tongue in cheek and I think the show was trying to capture its humor but failed miserably.
          Lincoln was a good president. He started off weak, telling the South, “Yeah, not gonna war over this” and then found a way to pick a fight with the hotheaded South Carolinians. He did what he had to do to reunite the Union. Can’t fault that.

The issue with Lincoln isn’t with Lincoln, really. It’s with the (northern) revisionists who proclaim Abe “The Great Emancipator” or offer that Lincoln’s war with the South was to free the slaves. It’s the northern version of The Lost Cause.

But talked about that way too much on message boards over 25 years to find any interest in retreading that well worn ground.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
            We need to regroup and have a better day tomorrow. This was not our best effort. And by “we” I mean you fuckin’ people.
            I thought my meme about contradictions was pretty decent ... :::sniff:::
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

Lincoln was a good president. He started off weak, telling the South, “Yeah, not gonna war over this” and then found a way to pick a fight with the hotheaded South Carolinians. He did what he had to do to reunite the Union. Can’t fault that.

The issue with Lincoln isn’t with Lincoln, really. It’s with the (northern) revisionists who proclaim Abe “The Great Emancipator” or offer that Lincoln’s war with the South was to free the slaves. It’s the northern version of The Lost Cause.

But talked about that way too much on message boards over 25 years to find any interest in retreading that well worn ground.
              She-Hulk’s big nemesis was Titania. Why? Well she was also a strong lady

Comment

• The first issue of the late 80’s She-Hulk revival. I’m supposed to hate this because it’s woke or something.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

She-Hulk’s big nemesis was Titania. Why? Well she was also a strong lady
                  I will not discuss She Hulk. Not now or ever again. Consider yourself warned, good sir. If on the morrow such talk is in the presence of my personage, we shall chose sabers.

Take this notice and trouble me no more. Otherwise, settle your affairs and ready your Second.​
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I think AA is a bit miffed.
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

What’s the scoville on that? I like *hot* hot sauces, but there is a point where excessive heat detracts from the food imo.
                      I don't know the Scoville but I'm guessing it's in the million range. I use just a few drops in recipes and you can feel it. Wussies don't try this at home.
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                        I see that Wiz is selling his car.

Screenshot 2023-01-25 7.55.08 PM.png
                        Quality car you fuckstick...
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          Is the trunk corpse included?
                          I refuse to answer that. I refer to the Department of Justice and their ongoing investigation.
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Attached Files
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post

I don't know the Scoville but I'm guessing it's in the million range. I use just a few drops in recipes and you can feel it. Wussies don't try this at home.
                              I have had hot sauces like that. Not my bag. I like the taste of peppers. If you put a drop or two of those kinda sauces, you get the heat, but not the pepper flavor. Also, I think Scorpion and Ghost peppers are not as flavorful as Tabasco and Cayenne. JMO (but my opinion is - as always - iron clad correct).

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                If you want to argue the Treasonists were right, knock yourself the fuck out. [You didn't say they were, just that they might be]
                                No I didn't. Don't lump me in with the "War of Northern Aggression" crowd. The South seceded largely to preserve slavery, but Lincoln prosecuted the war to save the Union. Ending slavery became a strategic decision later. He did not start the deadliest war in the country's history to end slavery. Therefore, he does not deserve a free pass (IMHO) on his actions as President because he did not commit those abuses in pursuit of a moral good. Unless you view preserving the Union itself as a moral good. I don't. If you disagree, you are welcome to tell me why, but I have yet to have anyone even try to convince me of this.

Abraham Lincoln committed abuses of executive power in order to prosecute a war that sent over 600,000 American men to their deaths. Adjusted for population, that would be about 6 milllion men today. Yet his is on Mount Rushmore and our five dollar bill. He has a monument in Washington and when I was growing up I was always told what a noble hero he was. Maybe we should reconsider that, in light of the fact that he acted in ways that, were he not associated with ending slavery, history would view him as it views other tinpot dictators.

I do view ending slavery as a moral good, and I have no romantic notions about the Confederacy, so don't even go there.

Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                If you want to shit on Lincoln as a worse President than Nixon, knock yourself the fuck out. ["Richard Nixon was forced out of office for far, far less and is considered one of history’s villains as a result."]
                                He committed far, far worse abuses of Executive power than Nixon. Yet Nixon is viewed as a villain for his role in Watergate. Nixon was a piker compared to Lincoln, who imprisoned his political opponents and shut down critical newspapers.

I'm not at all a fan of Nixon, BTW.

Originally posted by iam416;n1829891If you want to say he was Stalin, then knock yourself the fuck out. [[B
                                "...I had heard previously about his censorship of the press, but never how downright Stalinist it was. He seems like a pretty garden variety authoritarian who opportunistically seized power and used it to his own ends."[/B]]
                                OK touche. Bad analogy on my part. There is probably some other dictator in history that more closely resembles Lincoln, but I'm not in the mood today to go through the catalog and try and find a suitable replacement.

Maybe Putin is a good analogy.

Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                If you want to say Lincoln had no moral disagreement with slavery, then knock yourself the fuck out. [Lincoln had little to no moral objection to [slavery.]"]

If you want to say that Sherman committed institutional genocide, then knock yourself the fuck out. [Direct quote from the YouTube video you posted and recommended we all watch]

I never said any such thing about Sherman. I should have specified that I don't agree with 100% of the video. But it is worth pointing out that much of what Sherman did could be viewed as "war crimes" today, because our moral views on collateral damage have changed significantly since then. That discussion might become relevant when the Russia-Ukraine bullshit is finally over and we reflect on the civilian casualties there.
                                Last edited by Hannibal; January 26, 2023, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X