Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just for Liney: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ic-culpability
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
      It's the same line of broken thinking political parties suffered through pre-JFK. Catholics weren't Christians, according to Christian non-Catholics. It's called religious bigotry. If you're not my specific sect, you're a heathen anti-Christian devil worshiper.

This issue goes beyond politics, but most evangelicals identify themselves as conservatives. I work with one of those. He doesn't associate with me beyond work related tasks (even at the office), because I'm Catholic. According to his beliefs, Catholics aren't Christian because we "worship Mary and the Pope", (????) , and are to be shunned. He's shut out oh, 50% of the company because we're Catholic, Jewish, Hindu, or Moslem.

It's been hard, but I have refrained from putting a "coexist" bumpersticker on his car.
      I will never forget the look I got from my mother-in-law-to-be the first time we had dinner together, and I crossed myself after Grace. LOL. Every now and then I?ll hear a comment about what ?The Catholics? are doing to piss her off in their hometown.

But to her credit, and really to most everybody I?ve ever known, that?s as far as it goes. That said, I have lived most of my life in cities with heavy Catholic populations, and (Surprise!) I?m not especially outward about it...I?m one of those ?Half Catholics? where its more part of ethnicity than a lifestyle. Even when I was in Wichita, which is largely Baptist, I cannot say I ever encountered anything like that, at least not overtly. There were lots of Baptists who didn?t participate in Halloween, which I thought was odd.

<tangent>

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
        I don't think Obama is a practicing Muslim, but I do believe he has strong sympathies to the Muslim world. I believe he has displayed those sympathies in how he deals with radical Islam, and also with how he deals with Israel.

The only 'religious freedom' that is celebrated here in America nowadays, is the religious beliefs that pass the Obama administration's litmus test.
        Utter horse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
          Utter horse.
          Okay.

But I still believe what I believe.

I don't think Obama is a practicing Muslim, but I don't believe he's a devout Christian either. Even the Clinton's used to fake Christianity, by going to church, with Bibles in hand, on an occasional Sunday. I don't think I've ever seen the Obama's heading to church on Sundays. I'm sure if they did, MSNBC would show it. At least they're not openly hypocritical.

I do believe that Mr. Obama is sympathetic to the Muslim world due to his dad's beliefs. I believe those sympathies have led to how he deals with the Muslim world, and how he also deals with Israel. Please show me where, especially in the case of Israel, where Mr. Obama has demonstrated otherwise.

And finally, Mr Obama and his administration have openly opposed any part of the Christian community that believes homosexuality and gay marriage are immoral, and a sin against God. I believe the Constitution guarantees people of all faiths to believe what they choose, WITHOUT government interference. In other words, I believe the Constitution says "butt out".

Businesses should not be shut down by the "justice department" when they fail to espouse the beliefs of the Commander in Chief and his administration. If anyone wants to know why a buffoon like Donald Trump is becoming the Republican nominee, its because a lot of people of faith see even worse treatment coming at the hands of Hillary Clinton.

Me? I won't go anywhere near a voting booth on Election Day with the current slate of characters. I can't live with myself for voting for either of them.

.... I'll show myself out now ....

///end dangerous radical part-of-the-right-wing-conspiracy-christian idiot rant///
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Hoss would prefer that you show yourself off the edge of a cliff, but he can't handle life outside the echo chamber. The moment you challenge him he runs off to his safe space. He's Charmin soft. Softer even than, say, the vaunted blackshirt "defense".
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Whatever it is you believe, linesman, you have the option of checking and adjusting accordingly. Never mind the fact checking, or making a basic distinction between basic freedoms and complying with the law -- even just an image search for "Obama" and "church" on Google could help, and would take ten seconds.
              Last edited by hack; July 19, 2016, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• The Obamas do not attend church regularly. They use Sunday as a "family day".
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Donald Trump has no sympathy for Muslims and spends every Sunday in the loving embrace of the true Christian God.

Also Obama's administration just agreed to a larger aid package for Israel than we have ever given to ANY country. He treats Israel so shabbily!!

U.S. National Security Adviser Susan Rice said the proposed military aid package to Israel is larger than any the United States has ever offered to any country.

Comment

• No one is shutting down businesses for "espousing beliefs." They do demand that they do not unconstitutionally discriminate. There is a difference.

If I believe that Christians are sub human and should not be allowed to roam freely, should I be able to chain you up in my basement? Of course not, because my beliefs should not impact your freedoms.

I will say I am uncomfortable with using the police power against private businesses, but that ship sailed back in the 60s.
                    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Megyn Kelly now reportedly told Murdoch's investigators that she too was sexually harassed by Roger Ailes

Looks like ol Roger prob is done for. What a pity.
                      Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; July 19, 2016, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                        Okay.

But I still believe what I believe.

I don't think Obama is a practicing Muslim, but I don't believe he's a devout Christian either. Even the Clinton's used to fake Christianity, by going to church, with Bibles in hand, on an occasional Sunday. I don't think I've ever seen the Obama's heading to church on Sundays. I'm sure if they did, MSNBC would show it. At least they're not openly hypocritical.

I do believe that Mr. Obama is sympathetic to the Muslim world due to his dad's beliefs. I believe those sympathies have led to how he deals with the Muslim world, and how he also deals with Israel. Please show me where, especially in the case of Israel, where Mr. Obama has demonstrated otherwise.

And finally, Mr Obama and his administration have openly opposed any part of the Christian community that believes homosexuality and gay marriage are immoral, and a sin against God. I believe the Constitution guarantees people of all faiths to believe what they choose, WITHOUT government interference. In other words, I believe the Constitution says "butt out".

Businesses should not be shut down by the "justice department" when they fail to espouse the beliefs of the Commander in Chief and his administration. If anyone wants to know why a buffoon like Donald Trump is becoming the Republican nominee, its because a lot of people of faith see even worse treatment coming at the hands of Hillary Clinton.

Me? I won't go anywhere near a voting booth on Election Day with the current slate of characters. I can't live with myself for voting for either of them.

.... I'll show myself out now ....

///end dangerous radical part-of-the-right-wing-conspiracy-christian idiot rant///
                        liney,

One cannot walk a mile in any direction in this country (save perhaps the spiritual/automotive wasteland that is Ohio) without encountering some Christian edifice, artifact or advertisement of some kind.

It literally says ?In God We Trust? on our currency. Our president- even Barack Hussein Obama- is sworn into office on a Bible. We have tax-free, air-conditioned mini-arenas, of which kings of old could not dream in their wildest states of avarice, dedicated to the preaching of Christian doctrine. Said doctrine is on the air 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, on TV and radio. Our president is slandered daily with accusations that he is not a Christian, in a nation founded on religious freedom.

In light of these truths, its makes statements like ?The only 'religious freedom' that is celebrated here in America nowadays, is the religious beliefs that pass the Obama administration's litmus test.? so utterly inane and dislodged from reality that it is ultimately self-defeating. Any reasonable, nuanced point about policy is brushed aside with the absurdity.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                          The Obamas do not attend church regularly. They use Sunday as a "family day".
                          Good for them....its a better use of their time.

Comment

• I think fining a baker because he won't make a gay cake is wrongheaded and I'm not sure refusing to make a "gay cake" is unconstitutional. At the very least, the rights of the bakery owner to operate his business in a way he feels his religion demands and the gay couple are at odds.
                            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                              Good for them....its a better use of their time.

Agreed. Frankly, I can't understand how anyone believes in God(s) or devotes time to worship some invisible, bearded Sky Dad.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                                I think fining a baker because he won't make a gay cake is wrongheaded and I'm not sure refusing to make a "gay cake" is unconstitutional. At the very least, the rights of the bakery owner to operate his business in a way he feels his religion demands and the gay couple are at odds.
                                Agree. Public or vital services are one thing, but cakes...

Comment

Working...
                                X