No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, an ESIA is not a regulation, but it is part of a permitting process. And, yes, I'm fine with that.
    Rephrased, The "environmental and social impact" statement is not regulation because it is part of the permitting process. Hack, the permitting process is regulation. Certainly, you can see that. ESIA, part of PERMITTING, is all regulation.

....Power is atomized within it. If ``the government'' was a monolith, that might be a different story.
    Federalism is certainly a way to atomize power. Do you support national health care, national education standards, or nation-wide SC decisions about social mores. In your posts, you almost always want Federal standards for such things.

But it is clear to me that this is a country where the balance of power is in favor of commerce and not government, and that Americans are suffering as a result.
    We disagree on that. And I'm still waiting on a non-commercial "constituent" of governmental regulation (not including the criminal law or the Commons). But we don't disagree that government is way more powerful than commercial interests, do we?

No, of course I didn't read that 92 pages. That shit is shit. Waste of time. It didn't even take more than a minute to recognize it for what it is.
    You called for a link. I provided the third link that appeared on google. It lays out with actual data and studies the cost of regulation. This is becoming a pattern with you, you know. You ask for me to support my assertions. I do. Then you give a reason for not even stooping to read what I post. You only view a select few articles from a select few (print) providers as worthy of your time. So you get your information from Politico (which we know from Wikileaks provides the DNC with a veto over content), and if anything requires thinking, you farm that out to experts.

Hack, you don't believe man is evil in the philosophical sense. It is really no more complicated that that. You believe there are evil men, particularly in commerce.

My Indian Chief and anthropologist (on that tear-down) are nothing unusual in this country. It is the norm.
    Last edited by Da Geezer; November 24, 2016, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Fine. Permitting is equivalent to regulation. That's accurate enough for me to go along with. I still don't care. This is an underregulated economy, no matter how many times self-interested people say the opposite as a propaganda tool. The people that do are, the vast majority of the time, people what would like to boost their profits by shifting their costs and burdens to others. The people that believe this are either guided primarily by their own self-interest or gullible. I wish all regulations were perfect and all regulators able to apply them wisely, but we're humans. Until we devise a humans-proof system we must work with the one we have, which is an imperfect balance, but a balance nonetheless.

You have told me at least a dozen times now whether I view man as evil or not, and there is no evidence you have absorbed anything I've said in response. I'm quite bored with that. Am not here to be told what I think. LAST TIME, and reduced as much as possible in hopes it sticks with you: power corrupts. Money is a route to power, and therefore also corrupts. I think we've seen it happen over and over and over again. Please don't ever again tell me what I think about whether man is evil or not. Ask, or search the forum for the multiple instances in which we've discussed it.

If you want to google ``anti-government think tank bullshit for gullible people'' that's your call. But I don't think it's reasonable for you to expect to post whatever obvious crap you post and call it legit whilst simultaneously ruling out actual proper reported work. If you think a site is useful to you even if it fails to demonstrate an understanding of the system's basic attributes, have at it. Has nothing to do with me and I will have nothing to do with it.

In the meantime, I would like to wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving, but I don't want to jump the line in front of AA. In case he fails to follow through on his threat though, I guess I'll have to. Happy Thanksgiving, Geezer. Now smarten up!
      Last edited by hack; November 24, 2016, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
        Well, let's see. Teachers in MI are required to teach 1,098 hours over a period of 180 days. Full-time working folks work 2,000 hours over roughly 240 days.

Whitley, I understand that you probably work a lot after school on things you bring home. If you are an elementary teacher you bring home roughly 2 times as much work as does a secondary school teacher. You need to acknowledge that you get summers off, and several other vacations to boot. Charters teach year-round, and if teachers choose to teach year-round, then they get 133% of their salary.

But, once a government school teacher gets tenure, you are under no obligation to work any more than 1,098 hours. And, even if you personally work say 1,600 hours, your membership in the MEA supports the retention of the lazy teachers who don't act as you do. Please try to envision a world where tenure no longer protects the incompetent, lazy or harmful teachers. That world would not include $ 100,000 + salaries and benefits that a substantial majority of Michigan teachers receive. This year, 29% of your base pay goes just to a defined benefit pension. Then there is medical, dental, legal, and mental-health days. All this with the likelihood that you can retire at age 54 or earlier, having spent roughly 23 full-time years working. No wonder the oversupply in this state is so enormous.
        Quit making assumptions. He is not a teacher. You are clueless.
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving, Geezer. Now smarten up!
          And to you. I'll convince you; eventually.

Comment

• Doubtful.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Yeah. Keep it up; you're almost there.

Comment

• Heh

Comment

• If you're a Muslim on a Delta flight and another passenger complains about you for the crime of "looking Muslim", Delta will probably kick you off the flight.

If you're a white trash redneck bellowing about Trump and calling other passengers "Hillary bitches", well, Delta respects freedom of speech

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADE9RNmzog8"]CRAZY Donald Trump's Supporter at Plane - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Very strange goings-on at Trump Tower has a lot of people rumor-mongering. Kellyanne Conway went on all the morning shows today and just unloaded on Mitt Romney. She came close to almost scolding Trump for considering him as Sec of State as well.

This seems to be encouraging all manner of rumors. Was this staged? Does Kellyanne actually have any influence over Trump anymore? Does Trump really want Romney? Is Trump having a hard time telling Rudy (his most loyal soldier) that he thinks Giuliani's not right for the Sec of State job?

Comment

• Random facts about the Election and comparisons with 2012 for Ohio...

Turnout was down from 2012 in 83 out of 88 counties and down overall for the entire state by about 5%. The only counties that saw an increase: Preble (0.41%), Delaware (1.12%), Morgan (1.14%), Warren (2.74%), and Union (3.62%). At least two of these (Warren & Delaware) are high-growth suburban counties so that probably accounts for the rise in total votes. The other three I have no explanation for and share little in common. Preble is rural and on the Indiana border. Morgan is in Appalachia and one of the poorest counties in the state. Union is a prosperous increasingly suburban county NW of Columbus.

Trump got more votes than Romney in 77 out of 88 counties. The counties where he under-performed Romney has some expected places but also, at least to me, some surprises. Here are those 11 counties:

Butler, Warren, Summit, Holmes, Montgomery, Geauga, Greene, Cuyahoga, Delaware, Franklin, Hamilton. Trump did 10% worse in Hamilton (Cincinnati).

Of those only Holmes is a rural county (full of Amish). Butler and Warren are suburban Cincinnati and reliably Republican so it was somewhat surprising to see Trump do more poorly there. Delaware County is another reliably Republican county that's one of the two fastest-growing counties in the state and Trump got 5,000 fewer votes there than Romney.

Clinton did better than Obama in only 2 counties: Warren and Delaware, two of the same places than were turned off by Trump but not enough for her to win either place. Her improvement in those suburbs was not nearly enough to compensate for her losses elsewhere. Her vote totals declined from Obama by 20% or more in 3/4 of Ohio's counties. Southeast Ohio was the worst as nearly every county in Appalachia saw Dem vote totals decline by 40-45%.

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/802972944532209664[/ame]

Comment

• Unbelievable.

It looks as if he is afraid of a recount?

What a fool
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/802976866604879873[/ame]

Comment

• Good God, POTUS is literally hashing shit out with internet trolls. #reallife?

Grow the fuck up. Quickly.

Comment

• Half of America voted for this guy?

Shit. We are fucked.

Comment

Working...
                                X