No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least now, maybe she won't have time to fuck up schools in Michigan...
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• The Free Press found wasteful spending, schools allowed to operate for years despite poor academic records, and management companies that refuse to detail how they spend taxpayers' money.

Michigan spends $1B on charter schools but fails to hold them accountable
      Jennifer Dixon August 24, 2016

Michigan taxpayers pour nearly $1 billion a year into charter schools ? but state laws regulating charters are among the nation?s weakest, and the state demands little accountability in how taxpayer dollars are spent and how well children are educated.

In reviewing two decades of charter school records, the Free Press found:

Wasteful spending and double-dipping. Board members, school founders and employees steering lucrative deals to themselves or insiders. Schools allowed to operate for years despite poor academic records. No state standards for who operates charter schools or how to oversee them.

And a record number of charter schools run by for-profit companies that rake in taxpayer money and refuse to detail how they spend it, saying they?re private and not subject to disclosure laws. Michigan leads the nation in schools run by for-profits.

?People should get a fair return on their investment,? said former state schools Superintendent Tom Watkins, a longtime charter advocate who has argued for higher standards for all schools. ?But it has to come after the bottom line of meeting the educational needs of the children. And in a number of cases, people are making a boatload of money, and the kids aren?t getting educated.?

According to the Free Press? review, 38% of charter schools that received state academic rankings during the 2012-13 school year fell below the 25th percentile, meaning at least 75% of all schools in the state performed better. Only 23% of traditional public schools fell below the 25th percentile.

?There needs to be a lot of transparency ... so that the board knows the company isn?t double-dipping, triple-dipping,? said Greg Richmond, president and CEO of the Chicago-based National Association of Charter School Authorizers.

Charter defenders dismiss criticism that charters are not transparent enough and say the schools provide an excellent education. Indeed, the Free Press found innovative and high-performing charter schools. Out of 214 charter schools ranked in 2012-13 by the state, 27 were in the top 25% of all schools in Michigan.

?They have contributed very positively to the education system in Michigan, and they?ll continue to,? said Dan Quisenberry, president of the Michigan Association of Public School Academies, a charter advocacy organization. Charter board members ?swear an oath of office, just like every other public official, and they?re highly accountable to parents for academic outcomes and fiscal outcomes.?

But critics have another view. Miron said Michigan charter schools have become ?a private system of education without public oversight.?

Michigan?s laws are either nonexistent or so lenient that there are often no consequences for abuses or poor academics. Taxpayers and parents are left clueless about how charter schools spend the public?s money, and lawmakers have resisted measures to close schools down for poor academic performance year after year.

The Free Press found that questionable decisions, excessive spending and misuse of taxpayer dollars run the gamut:

■ A Sault Ste. Marie charter school board gave its administrator a severance package worth $520,000 in taxpayer money.

■ A Bedford Township charter school spent more than $1 million on swampland.

■ A mostly online charter school in Charlotte spent $263,000 on a Dale Carnegie confidence-building class, $100,000 more than it spent on laptops and iPads.

■ Two board members who challenged their Romulus school?s management company over finances and transparency were ousted when the length of their terms was summarily reduced by Grand Valley State University.

■ National Heritage Academies, the state?s largest for-profit school management company, charges 14 of its Michigan schools $1 million or more in rent ? which many real estate experts say is excessive.

■ A charter school in Pittsfield Township gave jobs and millions of dollars in business to multiple members of the founder?s family.

■ Charter authorizers have allowed management companies to open multiple schools without a proven track record of success.

In Michigan, anyone and everyone can apply to open a charter school. There are no state guidelines for screening applicants.

And in many cases, authorizers have given additional charters to schools managed by companies that haven?t demonstrated academic success with their existing schools.

Central Michigan University, for example, gave two additional charters to schools managed by the for-profit Hanley-Harper Group Inc. in Harper Woods, before its first school had any state ranking and despite test scores that showed it below statewide proficiency rates in reading and math. The school?s first ranking, released last year, put it in the 14th percentile, meaning that 86% of schools in Michigan did better academically.

■ Hope Academy, founded in Detroit in 1998, ranked almost rock-bottom ? in the first percentile ? in 2012-13.

■ Commonwealth Community Development Academy, founded in Detroit in 1996, ranked in the third percentile.

Both schools are authorized by Eastern Michigan University, which said in a statement that it is not satisfied with either. Yet just last year, EMU renewed Hope Academy?s charter.

?That?s a shocker,? Western Michigan?s Miron said. ?It just shows that our system is broken.?

No guidelines for when a charter should be revoked

Michigan law provides no statewide standards for how the boards of school districts, community colleges and public universities that authorize charter schools should monitor a charter?s performance, or when a charter should be revoked. Michigan has 40 authorizers ? from rural districts with one charter to Central Michigan University with 64 ? and, as a result, standards and oversight are inconsistent.

Minnesota, by comparison, has clear performance standards for its authorizers and requires them to apply to the state Department of Education for approval to grant school charters. Minnesota law also requires a review of an authorizer?s performance at least every five years, including an analysis of the academic, operational and financial performance of its schools.

Michigan law does allow the state superintendent of education to stop an authorizer from opening new schools. But there?s a loophole: The authorizer can keep existing schools, and those schools can open new campuses. The Michigan Department of Education has never prohibited an authorizer from opening new charters and says it needs the Legislature to write specific guidelines for when it can act, or let MDE write those rules.

Taxpayer money can be hidden from public view

Management companies insist ? without much challenge from the state ? that taxpayer money they receive to run a school, hire staff and pay suppliers is private, not subject to public disclosure.

Quisenberry, the president of the Michigan charter schools association, said school expenditures are ?appropriately public? while ?things that would be related to the company itself and its internal operations are appropriately private.?

Greg Lambert, an NHA representative, spelled out the company?s position to the board of the Detroit Enterprise Academy in 2010 when several members were demanding more transparency.

?Mr. Lambert stated that the public dollars became private when they were received by NHA. He further indicated that because NHA is a private company, the information need not be disclosed,? according to minutes of the meeting. Lambert has since retired.

In practice, it is difficult to know how charter management companies are spending money except in broad categories. They typically don?t disclose total employee compensation or salaries of those making more than $100,000, despite a state law saying all school districts ? which include charters ? must post that on their websites. Detailed budgets are difficult to find. And unlike traditional school districts, the management companies usually don?t disclose their vendors, contracts and competitive bid documents. The schools don?t have to disclose management fees.

?We?re having a big debate over whether we?re putting enough money into public education,? said John Austin, president of the state Board of Education. ?But with many schools, we don?t know where the money we?re spending now is going, who?s getting rich, and at what price to the taxpayer.

?And worst, we?re not seeing good educational outcomes.?

Mixed results academically, less spending in the classroom

Charter schools in general spend more on administration and less in the classroom than traditional districts.

A Free Press analysis based on 2012-13 data found traditional schools spend an average of $6,985 per student in the classroom, and charter schools spend $4,893. At traditional schools, administration costs an average of $1,090 per student, compared with $1,894 in charter schools.

Unlike traditional districts, charter schools cannot seek millages to pay for buildings; they must pay for their campuses out of state per-pupil funding. But some school boards have not shopped around for the best deal and pay above fair-market value for their facilities, particularly if they rent from their management company.

?The theory of charters was if you remove elected school boards, a centralized bureaucracy and powerful unions, that you would get better student achievement. The evidence so far, in Michigan and around the country, is ... some charters work and some don?t,? said Lou Glazer, president of Michigan Future Inc., a think tank that financially supports nine schools in Detroit, including eight charter schools

?On average, if there are gains, they?re marginal at best.?

Loopholes in Michigan law allow insider deals and nepotism

Neither the state nor school authorizers have been aggressive in policing charter schools for sweetheart dealings and nepotism.

State law prohibits board members from serving if relatives work for the school, or if they have an ownership interest in, or significant role with, its management company.

But those management companies are free to hire friends of board members or school founders. And charter boards are free to give contracts to friends and relatives of school officials. That can create multiple conflicts of interest ? and raise questions about whether decisions are made in the best interests of the school.

Downriver, two charters doled out millions of dollars? worth of business to relatives of the schools? administrator. At a charter school in Pittsfield Township, multiple members of the founder?s family were school vendors or employees. And schools in Ecorse and Southfield bought property at inflated prices from companies whose owners included the president of their management company.

The examples of self-dealing through the system are ?outrageous and unfortunately far too common,? said Miron of Western Michigan, which does not authorize charter schools.

Authorizers, management companies work closely ? too closely?

The proliferation of schools run by management companies in Michigan also has brought with it cozy relationships between the companies and their schools? authorizers.

Many companies approach authorizers directly to open new schools ? and at least one authorizing official, Grand Valley State University?s Tim Wood, said he actively recruits national management companies, both for-profit and nonprofit.

Both authorizers and management companies often have a hand in recruiting board members, who critics say can?t be truly independent.

Richmond, of the National Association of Charter School Authorizers, said authorizers should not approve schools with boards chosen by the management company because these board members tend to ?act like employees of the management company doing what the boss tells them.?

?If you have an independent board, and authorizers should make sure they do, that board should be appropriately requiring a fair amount of transparency about how this money is spent ? enough transparency to make sure they, the board, are not being double-charged for expenses.?

Michigan authorizers say they don?t get involved in that level of detail because boards by law have primary responsibility for negotiating leases, management agreements, budgets and other financial information pertaining to day-to-day operations.

But with boards that leave decision-making up to management companies, the question becomes: Who?s monitoring how taxpayer money is spent?

Said Cindy Schumacher, who oversees Central Michigan University?s charter schools office: ?We don?t really have a relationship with the management companies. It?s up to the boards to determine what the structure is.?

Richmond, whose organization is pro charter, said even if a charter school does deliver academic excellence, that?s no excuse if taxpayers are gouged.

?I can?t think of any other area of public or private enterprise that would agree to be ripped off by someone as long as they were providing a nice product.?

Austin, the state board president, said too many authorizers are facilitating ?management company-created schools ... companies running schools making lots of money and delivering very poor and mediocre education, which is the business that they are in. And that?s not the business we should be in terms of education policy in Michigan.?

He said the state board has tried to ?insist on transparency,? but the Legislature has resisted. Lawmakers also have opposed prohibiting management companies with poor academic track records from opening new schools.

?We should not let more bad schools to be created,? Austin said, ?when we have enough challenges improving education in all our schools.?

What?s there to hide, anyway? Critics call for open records

State Superintendent Mike Flanagan, who runs the Michigan Department of Education and chairs the state Board of Education, said Michigan?s Legislature must insist on more transparency.

But Miron said the trend in Michigan and nationwide seems to be toward less transparency ? such as the types of management agreements negotiated by National Heritage Academies.

The company takes 95% or more of the per-pupil taxpayer funding that its schools receive from the state, with 3% going to the authorizer and 2% or $35,000, whichever is less, given to the school board to spend at its discretion. NHA pays the bills and keeps whatever is left as profit.

Said Flanagan: ?If everyone is doing the right thing, they shouldn?t have a problem with being open.?
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
        At least now, maybe she won't have time to fuck up schools in Michigan...
        I would not bet on that.
        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Plenty of people will pick up that mantle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
            By "public education" I assume you mean government education. Charter schools are public schools.

Charter Schools are overwhelmingly preferred by the poor, particularly in the inner city. Those parents are concerned with their kids. What concerns most of you here is not the kids, it is the entire education industry and the lavish money that many of you receive for your part-time job. I would be afraid too if I were you. BTW, how many here are educators?

Betsy DeVos' first job should be to eliminate tenure, then Trump should propose a law prohibiting the unionization of public employees. Just use the words that FDR used when he came out against that unionization. As I said at least two years ago, public sector unions are the single biggest domestic problem facing the US.
            Always helps when, as a school administrator, you begin at a position of contempt for the teaching profession in general.

Comment

• He is on the gravy train. He needs it to continue.

Comment

• If you take public/taxpayer money, you should be subject to review/regulation and 100% transparency. When has secrecy with spending public money ever been a good thing?

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/DrewHampshire/status/805394075973283840[/ame]

Comment

• Geezer, in answer to your question, "Jeff what are the real problems?" ...... you can find one of the answers by reading the entire Runciman article that Hack linked us to.

I'd add using available institutions to insure political stability and where there are hot spots containing them so the likelihood of involved parties escalating to a nuclear exchange is zero.

Taking a leadership role and facilitating cooperation between nations in insuring adequate food and water supply along with the distribution systems to avoid regional famine.

That's a start. As of right now, I don't think Donald Trump, if his first few weeks as PEOTUS is any indicator, has any clue that these issues are real and important.
                    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• froot:
                      He is on the gravy train. He needs it to continue.
                      I guess I had that coming.

All I can say factually is that I have never received any compensation of any kind for 16 years as a Charter School Board President. I invested money, and have never been paid any dividend or interest on that money.

Further, The management company would send out a "board package" and a "president's package" of action items to me each month. I would send them to the reporter at the local newspaper (which was hostile to charters) two weeks in advance of a meeting. That would allow her time to formulate questions and for us to get her answers at the meeting or before. On one occasion, the management company sent a big-shot to a meeting and "required" that the board not give all the internal data to the press. I resigned on the spot, and so did the board. We got a call the next day to tell us that what we were doing was OK. On another occasion, The president and majority owner of the management company called me to ask if I would allow my school to get a charter from a junior college in the UP and give up our GVSU charter. I held an informal meeting of the parents, whose view was summarized by a father who said "...Geezer, how many brothers do you figure there are in the UP?...." That is the message I relayed to the owner, and we kept our GVSU charter.

Over a relatively long period of time, about 3 years, the reporter came around to seeing the school for what it was, an alternative to government education. When she applied to another paper for a job, she asked me for a reference/recommendation, which I gave.

The Freep article represents that paper's progressive bias. Articles were in the News and the GR Press that supported charter schools, and reflected the more conservative view of those papers. They contained the same kind of anecdotal disasters that are in the Freep article, except about government schools.

One fact is uncontested: Charters receive 63% of the funding that government schools receive. In addition, they have to provide their own buildings and other capital items which are counted separately for government schools and are not counted against the base grant in a particular district. All these millions of dollars in rent that supposedly go to the management company is pure fiction. That is just the truth from someone who was on the inside.
                      Last edited by Da Geezer; December 4, 2016, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• They are a scam just like private prisons.

Comment

• What Entropy says is so true. Parents make all the difference in how a youngster succeeds or fails in school. Charters have the advantage that they can suspend or expel students who misbehave badly. Once the child wins the lottery, he and his siblings are guaranteed a place in the school through grade 8. Parents are so glad that they support the school's staff in disciplinary matters. That is a big deal. In 16 years, I didn't expel one student, but I did hand out some suspensions. For each suspended kid, we hired a tutor (for $ 10.00 per hour) to go to the kid's house and teach. When the student came back, they were up to date with their class.

One of the things that charters do that government educators cannot do is hiring certified teachers or MEd aids for around $ 10.00/hr. BTW, substitute teachers are paid far less than salaried teachers in all schools. There are an incredible number of unemployed teachers in MI who want to retain their certification and who are happy to work for a lower rate. For example, we always hired Kinesiology majors to supervise recess, leaving the classroom teachers a free period.

There is a good article in ESPN The Magazine this month about the wide receiver, Davis, who was MAC offensive player of the year at WMU. It tells the account of how he was not qualified to get a scholarship, but a friend's family paid a tutor to "bring him up to speed." It is a really good article about what a teacher can accomplish working with a kid who is willing to put in the effort.
                          Last edited by Da Geezer; December 4, 2016, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Trump promising to levy a 35% tax on any company that moves its production overseas

Donald Trump threatens to impose a 35% tax on US companies that move their manufacturing overseas.

I assume his own family's products will be grandfathered in somehow?

Comment

• Charter=Scam.

Comment

• Steve Forbes is on my plane going from Key West to Miami.

Very tempted to ask him about the election. But I won't. I believe they are bothered enough... but tempted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X