Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm....not quite "I support him as my Republican President!"

The thing is: Never Trump is over. Never Trump was about the GOP primary and the general election, not the presidency. The Left wants to claim it must be a permanent movement, denying the legitimacy of Trump’s election forever, or we were never serious. Well, that’s not what we — or at least I — signed up for.

But you know what is alive and well? Always Trump. These are the folks who think Trump must be defended and celebrated no matter what he does or says. In fairness, some of these people are still auditioning for jobs in the administration and know they must follow the rhetorical principle of “not one step backward.” But others are just normal Americans who love Trump and think that I’m somehow duty-bound to say I love him too, no matter what he does. Well, I didn’t sign up for that either.

Whenever I say this, someone shrieks at me about my “arrogance” or “hubris” — for reasons I truly cannot fathom. But I’ll say it again: I’m going to call ’em like I see ’em and wait and see if I was wrong about Trump. So far, I’ve said that most of his cabinet picks have been a pleasant and welcome surprise. But he’s also done plenty of things that make me feel like I had him pegged all along. We only have one president at a time — and the guy isn’t even president yet. I’ll give him a chance. But I won’t lie for him either.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Tease about the endless National Review articles (and how posting such demonstrates 'reasoned, objective debate') and Talent gets huffy in a hurry.

Quick, someone post one of those PC Campus Horror stories so we can all laugh at college students!

Comment

• People blaming Obama must think that history began in 2008
        The stats, of course, capture the high tide of the Ds and use that as a baseline in assessing how many seats were lost during his Administration. It's perhaps more interesting to say that Rs netted +600 or so from the 2000 election to the 2016 election. GWB lost something like 380 or so culminating with the 2008 asswhipping. Obama lost almost 1000.

Going from 1980 to 2000, the Rs were +530, so this particularly stretch (+634) isn't hugely different. That said, it's still a 20% increase AND presumably you're running out of low-hanging fruit as you win more and more seats. Or to be wonky, it's asymptotal and the Rs are nearer the asymptote in 2016 than they were in 2000.
        Last edited by iam416; December 23, 2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          Perhaps. The massive losses at a state level eventually play at the Electoral College level and you get PSU-OSU.

As I've said, I'm with Tim Ryan on this. Ds have to continue with their multiculturalism message, but they ought to consider re-prioritizing issues. That, I think, is an easy enough fix.

I also think the next two to three cycles are critical. What I've seen in Ohio is that a state can purple to red in a heartbeat and when it does you start to lose your foundation, your organization, your ability to flip it back. They will gut your party and your ability to rally. Michigan and Wisconsin are still blue-ish purple. But the Ds need to put the brakes on any slide to purple or red post haste. It's mission critical to presidential elections. So, in that regard they really need to fine tune a message that wins in those states. It's also mission critical for redistricting in 2020.

They should, IMO, get a lay-up from Trump over the next 2 to 4 years, though.
          Agree on the layup...similar to 2008 I think. Sans the economic collapse, hopefully.

I think that's a crutch which can whitewash underlying issues long-term, but we're in uncharted territory these days. Trump could destroy the GOP for a generation...or wind up as Donald the First. Neither would surprise me much.

Comment

• Safe spaces balloon on campus following peaceful election! http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...following-don/

LOLOLOL!

Comment

• LOL@COLLEGE STUDENTS! BOOKWORMS! NERDS! SNOWFLAKES!

Onto more serious matters: why we must listen to, honor, and respect the opinions of rural whites.

Comment

• Trump could destroy the GOP for a generation...or wind up as Donald the First.
                That's horrifying. Moreso because it's plausible there is no choice (c).

Comment

• Onto more serious matters: why we must listen to, honor, and respect the opinions of rural whites.
                  Why do you hate Sherwood Anderson? (I'm counting on Ithaca A&M education to get clumsy, semi-obvious reference).

Comment

• Clyde Ohio the model for that. THAT"S WHAT REAL AMERICA LOOKS LIKE!

Comment

• That's $250,000 well-spent!

Comment

• Bernie gets it! War Clyde, Ohio!

Democrats are focused too much with a liberal elite, which is raising incredible sums of money from wealthy people in the upper middle class, but has ignored to a very significant degree the working class and the middle class and low-income people in this country.

Comment

• Come now, Talent. Surely you must realize that as a white, middle-class, over-achieving High School student, government-run Ohio State didn't offer me a dime. After scholarship and other assistance, shit, Cornell was about $1,000 more than OSU. Easy decision, you publicly-schooled boor.

Also, I'm getting old. It would've been closer to $160,000 when I was there. WORTH EVERY CENT

Comment

• Heh. Fair. Incidentally, I forgot to taunt you about Lorain's demise at the hands of a glorious Columbus suburban school. That ought to do it.

Comment

Bernie gets it! War Clyde, Ohio!
                              I was with Bernie before you were with Bernie.

And I agree that the Obama years ignored those who the Recovery didn't touch. And that was exacerbated by nominating a candidate that unfortunately embodied the incestuous relationship between Big Business and Government.

I think the economic stuff played a much bigger role than anger over BLM or transgender bathrooms or the presumably thousands of bakers driven into penury and suicide by onerous anti-religion laws.

Comment

Heh. Fair. Incidentally, I forgot to taunt you about Lorain's demise at the hands of a glorious Columbus suburban school. That ought to do it.
                                This was the first time any school in Lorain made the playoffs since the 80's or something like that, so I'm not too disappointed. I think they beat two other Columbus area schools to make it to the Semis. And Pickerington North & Central are my teams now! Woo! Go...Purple...Tigers or whatever!

Comment

Working...
                                X