Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
    Here's an eye opener: 9 out of 10 people on the terrorist watch list passed their gun buying background check.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/14/politi...uns/index.html

First, there seems to be a lot of confusion on "lists" - how you get on one, how you get off and what things you can't do being on one.

Fienstein was right in proposing the legislation that would have strengthened the utility of Terrorist Watch Lists.

Clearly these are sticky issues but it seems to me where at a place where reasonable measures to (1) identify individuals who have the potential of carrying out a terrorist attack and (2) put them on a list where the purchase of a firearm is going to get scrutinized by putting all the available data together to make a decision .... . there seems to be nothing wrong with a waiting period when there is a question.

Based on what I know about the Committee on Un-American Activities, I would be opposed to any panel that would act as this one did. That does not mean I don't support closing gun purchase loop holes or taking steps to give Terrorist Watch Lists more utility.
    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Sacramento preacher praise the work of the Orlando shooter. "Orlando's streets are safer with these 50 pedophiles dead!" says man of God.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —  A Sacramento preacher’s sermon praising attack on an Orlando nightclub that killed 50 people has the local LGBT community outraged, CBS Sacramento reports. Recordings of…

Baptist preacher in Phoenix has similar message. Killing gays is the work of God

Wacko Tempe wacko preacher Steven Anderson never misses an opportunity to spew hate and homophobia, so it's hardly a surprise that he's capitalizing on the recent massacre at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, where a gunman killed 50 and wounded 53 more early Sunday morning in the worst act of...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
        Sacramento preacher praise the work of the Orlando shooter. "Orlando's streets are safer with these 50 pedophiles dead!" says man of God.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —  A Sacramento preacher’s sermon praising attack on an Orlando nightclub that killed 50 people has the local LGBT community outraged, CBS Sacramento reports. Recordings of…

Baptist preacher in Phoenix has similar message. Killing gays is the work of God

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...-video-8372346
        Well, at least those d@mn Evangelicals haven't resorted to throwing them off buildings yet ...

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Its not the legal gun market I worry about, its the black market. Orlando is an example of what a semi-auto AR-15 can do. A decent AR-15 (NIB) will set you back about a thousand bucks. An old Viet Nam era M16A1 (that has a full auto selection) can be had for under $2000. A newer M-16A4 (3 round burst mode) is $2500. A full auto AK-47 is roughly $1500.

If terror suspects are denied access at the gun store, the black market offers a selection not usually available at the local shop. This is America, money rules. There is nothing you can't have or can't do if you have enough money.

If you clean up one market (the legal one) you also have to clean up the other, probably first. But you have to be able to deal with the devil to make that happen.
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Thanks Jon for raising this, the public discourse on both sides is so ill-informed it's painful to listen to.

All those guns that you mentioned are illegal in the USA thanks to Regan's 1986 automatic assult weapons ban. The AR-15 rifle is a single shot, semi-automatic rifle , no different than millions of other hunting rifles in America today. In fact, it was an actual poor choice by the homosexual, Afghani, Muslim, psychotic, terrorist in this particular instance.

Extended magazines with high-capacity and sophisticated ammuntion, designed with maximum killing efficiency are the real and immediate problems in America.

The SWAT team that killed the shooter used automatic machine guns (illegal and used by law enforcement only) designed to get 100's of rounds of fire on target as fast as possible. I bet in the autopsy report, his body had 100's of bullet holes.
            Last edited by Prime2; June 15, 2016, 07:25 AM.
            "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
              Its not the legal gun market I worry about, its the black market. Orlando is an example of what a semi-auto AR-15 can do. A decent AR-15 (NIB) will set you back about a thousand bucks. An old Viet Nam era M16A1 (that has a full auto selection) can be had for under $2000. A newer M-16A4 (3 round burst mode) is $2500. A full auto AK-47 is roughly $1500.

If terror suspects are denied access at the gun store, the black market offers a selection not usually available at the local shop. This is America, money rules. There is nothing you can't have or can't do if you have enough money.

If you clean up one market (the legal one) you also have to clean up the other, probably first. But you have to be able to deal with the devil to make that happen.
              Correct. Just browsed an online version of a 2004 book, Firearms and Violence, A Critical Review, Chapter 4, Interventions Aimed at Illegal Firearm Acquisition.

What I learned from this brief reading is that this is an incredibly complex problem but not one without solutions to prevent persons intent on committing crimes from obtaining firearms that may work.

The lesson for me is that all the noise about "gun control" is pretty much a waste of time because the people calling for it mostly don't know what they are talking about. However, there is a body of legitimate data and thought out there to be digested by policy makers who can come up with reasonable approaches to, if not eliminate access to firearms to those who should not have them, reduce the likelihood that they can obtain them.
              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• because the people calling for it mostly don't know what they are talking about
                Oh, they do. They want a complete ban on guns. Period. They don't need to parse. They'll parse only insofar as incrementalism gets them closer to their goal.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Anything that requires an expansion of the government's security mandate and an improvement in the collection and use of intelligence has to get over the execution risk. There's nothing that should lead anyone to expect that a good job of this can be done.

Comment

• What clearly needs banned...is the McGriddle...

Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Rot in hell, Tractor Fucker.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Not every tamale vender in the West was from Afghanistan, of course...

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...eridan-wyoming. Fantastic piece.

Comment

• ??

Maybe Disney will make it a movie for you.

What clearly needs banned...is the McGriddle...]
                          I'd add Hack's Spring Collection

Last edited by Prime2; June 15, 2016, 09:09 AM.
                          "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Let me say this.

Its a good thing The Wizard only wants to ban the BACON/Egg and Cheese McGriddle ...

... if he would have called for the banning of the SAUSAGE McGriddle, it would be time to go to war ...
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Tired of your precious little sunshine being a wallflower? Here’s your chance to make her the talk of the playground! From Hello Kitty’s “Tiny Tot Terrorist” collection, it’s the hot pink “Mini-Maimer Assault Rifle”! This fully functional boy attracter (and repeller) has no need for accessories. Comes with a side mounted laser sight, 30 round magazine, high grade optics, removable flash suppressor cover, and a standard 40mm grenade launcher. Hurry while supplies last! Not for indoor use.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                Oh, they do. They want a complete ban on guns. Period. They don't need to parse. They'll parse only insofar as incrementalism gets them closer to their goal.

....... and there is a mountain of data, good data, that demonstrates why gun bans don't work, not to mention that gun opponents are never going to get over the hump of some 75 years of jurisprudence regarding the constitutionality of the 2nd A. See DC's gun ban, among others, declared unconstitutional by the Supremes.

Hack, I agree with what you say ...... mostly. There is a risk associated with allowing the government to do the kinds of things I'm talking about. But the risk/reward calculus is changing because of the escalating numbers of mass shootings.

Comment

Working...
                                X