Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Da Talenturecourse

Comment

• Article is a couple of weeks old, but it foresaw the events of today. It's from the very conservative Cato Institute and it's about the merits of steel tariffs.

Comment

• Populism sucks. It’d be nice if there was something that could stop the Executive from legislating unilaterally.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Removal from office would do the trick.
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Or the legislature reasserting it’s power or the judiciary restraining the executive.
            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Ship has sailed, but one can dream.

Comment

• This type of economic protectionism falls within the 30% of the policy we are going to get with Trump that i disagree with. As long as he keeps his views of the 2nd Amendment out of that 30% i can live with it.

Comment

• In the area of trade, specifically, he has a great deal of unilateral power.

Comment

• Trump gets up at 5:30 to tweet that "trade wars are good and easy to win".

[ame]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/969525362580484098[/ame]

Comment

• Yeah, maybe if this was the 1950's

Comment

• HRC's shameless, I mean utterly fucking shameless, about face on TPP was almost enough to get me to abstain.

The Executive does have tremendous unilateral power in the space of trade because Congress willingly gave it away. The Constitution specifically enumerates the power to lay and collect duties as an Aritcle I power. And, of course, Congress can't give away Article I powers. However, Congress can delegate portions of that responsibility to the Executive if the Executive is, more or less, given direction and parameters to meet. For example, Congress could grant the Executive the power to raise tariffs as high as 8% on a product as is needed to protect the interests of the US.

So, as I understand it -- and this isn't my area in the fucking least -- so it's based on 30 minutes of reading -- the President has broad authority to do whatever the fuck he wants if we're at war with a country. I think that's broad -- if we're at war anywhere he can do shit to any country to further that cause. He also has broad authority if he declares something a "national emergency." Unfortunately, there isn't much to define national emergency and I'd imagine Courts almost always accept the Executive's reasoning -- and that lost jobs may count. Finally, there's a normal process where he can impose a limited, short tariff that eventually needs Congressional approval. The final category strikes me as a reasonable Constitutional arrangement (Trade Act of 1974).

I haven't read up on PDJT's reasoning on this, but my guess is it's the national emergency exception under International Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977.

Folks on the left have gone apeshit challenging his executive orders on things that are, TBH, at the margins in terms of practicality. Hopefully they'll go apeshit over something that has a significant and real impact on the US.

Finally, tracking the history of Congress' efforts to give away power to the Executive in this area was depressing. There was no reclamation in the least. It was always incremental until you end up with this. As in so many other areas.
                        Last edited by iam416; March 2, 2018, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• Heh, ironically it's the GentryProg/Obama wing of the Dem Party that'll be upset over tariffs. The Blue Dog Tim Ryan types are out there praising Trump today.

Everyone who supports this stuff keeps citing China, cheatin China, as the justification. But they aren't even in the top 10 of steel importers. Trump's stated plan (there's no coherent written one yet) is to punish everyone all alike.

Comment

• Yeah, a definite fracture. The #GentryProgs are rightly opposed. The #UnwashedProgs are all in favor. The #BlueDogs are all in favor. The #BuckleyWarbucksRs are opposed. The #4chanMemes love it.

One day that giant populist center is going to coalesce. Fortunately, we're obsessed with identity these days (both sides) and that seems to take precedence over everything else including commonality of economic interests and religious importance. Poor AAs are more likely to be aligned with the wealthy coastal folks than the poor white folks.

Comment

• I don't know if it's General Kelly or maybe Mattis/Tillerson too, but someone is leaking damaging stories on Kushner like crazy. People want him gone, bad. This story below kinda blows my mind. There's no smoking gun, but man, the optics are incredibly bad.

Last April Kushner's dad tried to get the Qatari govt to invest in their failing money sinkhole 666 5th Avenue project. They got turned down. Just weeks later, Jared was egging on the Saudis to blockade Qatar, even undermining and sabotaging Tillerson's efforts to keep peace between US allies.

Jared Kushner's firm made a direct pitch to Qatar’s minister of finance in April 2017 in an attempt to secure investment in a critically distressed asset.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                                Heh, ironically it's the GentryProg/Obama wing of the Dem Party that'll be upset over tariffs. The Blue Dog Tim Ryan types are out there praising Trump today.

Everyone who supports this stuff keeps citing China, cheatin China, as the justification. But they aren't even in the top 10 of steel importers. Trump's stated plan (there's no coherent written one yet) is to punish everyone all alike.
                                They are the world's top steel producer, and exporter, we are still the world's top steel importer (even though we are #4 on the world's producer's list).

Not that I agree with tariffs, but being an importer doesn't matter, their point is China flooding the market with their cheap and inexpensive steel.

I am also more than happy for Congress to start taking some of their power back from the Executive Branch.

Comment

Working...
                                X