No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White House Says North Korea Meeting Will Happen Only With 'Concrete' Action
    March 9, 20186:04 PM ET
    Jessica Taylor - Square 2015
    JESSICA TAYLOR

Twitter

Updated at 7:53 p.m. ET

The White House appeared Friday to put conditions on a much anticipated meeting between President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, with press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders saying it would only happen once the rogue nation takes "concrete and verifiable action" to demonstrate its commitment to denuclearization.

"We've accepted the invitation to talk based on them following through on concrete actions on the promises they've made," Sanders said Friday.

Later in the day, Trump himself tweeted out that there was, indeed, a deal "very much in the making."

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
    The deal with North Korea is very much in the making and will be, if completed, a very good one for the World. Time and place to be determined.

The surprise announcement of a possible Trump-Kim summit came after the president met Thursday with South Korean national security adviser Chung Eui-yong. Chung briefed the president about his recent meeting with Kim in Pyongyang.

President Trump To Meet With Kim Jong Un, White House Says

President Trump To Meet With Kim Jong Un, White House Says
    But less than 24 hours later, the White House appeared to hedge somewhat and call into question whether the meeting would ever come to fruition. Sanders appeared to add the condition that North Korea take tangible steps toward denuclearization before any meeting takes place. Last year, North Korea successfully tested its intercontinental ballistic missiles.

When pressed by reporters if that meant that the meeting might not happen after all, Sanders underscored that the onus was on North Korea. She emphasized that "nothing" had changed from the U.S. viewpoint and that Trump's "maximum pressure campaign" against North Korea would continue.

High Risk, High Reward For Trump's Meeting With North Korea's Kim Jong Un
    ANALYSIS
    High Risk, High Reward For Trump's Meeting With North Korea's Kim Jong Un
    Sanders didn't outline the actions that would fulfill that denuclearization prerequisite, saying only that the national security and intelligence community would make those determinations. A time and place for the Trump-Kim meeting have not yet been set, although South Korea says it is expected by May.

As NPR's Elise Hu reported Thursday, "Any meeting between these two leaders would be historic. The U.S. has no diplomatic ties with North Korea; the countries are adversaries dating to the Korean War and repeatedly traded heated insults last year, including Trump's remarks at the United Nations, in which he vowed to 'totally destroy' North Korea if the U.S. was threatened."

Trump has also ribbed Kim on social media frequently, only heightening global tensions. Trump often referred to Kim as "Little Rocket Man" and bragged on Twitter that his nuclear button in the U.S. is bigger than the North Korean leader's.

Sanders also denied that the Thursday announcement had been haphazard in any way or that key foreign policy officials had been left out. Hours before the announcement, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson had declared that the U.S. is "a long ways from negotiations" with North Korea. But Tillerson, who is traveling in Africa, later emphasized a distinction between formal negotiations and what he called "talks."

Sanders also pushed back on the reports that national security adviser H.R. McMaster could be on his way out and said she had no reason to believe that McMaster wouldn't be a part of the upcoming North Korea talks. Sanders called the three-star Army general a "valued member" of the Trump administration.

"Look, the president has an incredible team that is surrounding him," Sanders said. "But at the end of the day, the ultimate person to lead that negotiation or that conversation and be at the table will be the president."
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• ....aaaaaaand kaptures camping.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
        Haha. He did and they are.

President Donald Trump will not meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un unless North Korea takes "concrete and verifiable actions" toward denuclearization, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said Friday.
        As in haulting ICBM and nuke testing, AS WAS N KOREA'S CONDITION THEY PLACED ON THEMSELVES.

Here, again, is the statement from S Korean NSA

Good evening.

Today I had the privilege of briefing President Trump on my recent visit to Pyongyang, North Korea.

I'd like to thank President Trump, the Vice President and his wonderful national security team, including my close friend, Gen. McMaster.

I explained to President Trump that his leadership and his maximum pressure policy, together with international solidarity, brought us to this juncture. I expressed President Moon Jae-in's personal gratitude for President Trump's leadership.

I told President Trump that in our meeting, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said he is committed to denuclearization. He pledged that North Korea will refrain from any further nuclear or missile tests. He understands that the routine joint military exercises between the Republic of Korea and the United States must continue.

And he expressed his eagerness to meet President Trump as soon as possible.

President Trump appreciated the briefing and said he would meet Kim Jong Un by May to achieve permanent denuclearization. The Republic of Korea, along with the United States, Japan and our many partners around the world, remain fully and resolutely committed to the complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula. Along with President Trump, we are optimistic of our continuing a diplomatic process to test the possibility of a peaceful resolution.

The Republic of Korea, the United States and our partners stand together in insisting that we not repeat the mistakes of the past and that the pressure will continue until North Korea matches its words with concrete action.

Thank you.

I mean you can try and spin this, as you are, by saying the administration will meet in they keep their word, but that is all they are saying. Again, they are not walking back shit. We lose nothing. We offer them 0 concessions. They agree to halt missile testing and nuke development.

Comment

• Not spinning shit. Just posting facts.

They are walking back Trump's attempt to make it look as if he is doing something new. Too bad that people buy his bullshit.

Come back when the Orange Monkey actually meets with Un. (I won't hold my breath)
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
            VA's problem have the time is the vets themselves

8 million vets

4 million are disabled

maybe 500,000 actual combat wounds

maybe another 500,000 with true ptsd stuff

leaving 3 million with essentially non combat diseases behavior issues, stuff they were gonna get anyway all of which we pay for

throw in the fact many refuse to get well because they lose part of their pension if they do. many use it for an income by claining every possible condition that exist in order to increase their disability

it clogs the system takes away assets from the true vet that need it and throw in a bunch of union federal employees who have no incentive to improve production and you have the beuracratic center for waste fraud and abuse
            This is pretty accurate.

I just started using the VA Health Care Sysytem myself in June, 2017. My experience in it has been good but I also have minimal care requirements and lots of time. That I am a health care provider myself makes me more tolerant of the long delays associated with providing VA care.

My son is a dentist. He works in the VA in Ann Arbor. VA provided dental care is highly restricted so, his patient load is reasonable. But he knows first hand how other providers in the VA system struggle with large numbers of excessively demanding patients who feel entitled, those who are abusive of the services they are eligible for and do work the systm as crash alludes to. The younger vets are the worst. WWI (the small number remaining), Korean War and Vietnam era vets, generally, are greatfull.

My supervising MD in my last practice I worked in was a former VA MD. She hated it for all the reasons Crash speaks of. It was her first job out of residency and she is shy to begin with. Patient's simply emotionally and vocally abused her.

The VA is a wonderful system with a lot of positives for vets that need and/or are eligible to receive medical services. But there are systemic problems that are magnified by a whole lot of malingerers.

The stuff at the executive level is a whole different problem that might affect policy decisions but at the operational level health care delivery, while slow due to sheer numbers, is still pretty good.
            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              And PDJT could cure cancer and the #GentryProgs would still scream Russia!
              Which would be the correct approach. Corruption is corruption; kleptocracy is kleptocracy. It is not new at all to get power and sell policy outcomes in this country. But if you can't do it without creating plausible deniabilty, treasonous behaviour or enabling enemies of the state, people would be insane if they WEREN'T screaming about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                Which would be the correct approach. Corruption is corruption; kleptocracy is kleptocracy. It is not new at all to get power and sell policy outcomes in this country. But if you can't do it without creating plausible deniabilty, treasonous behaviour or enabling enemies of the state, people would be insane if they WEREN'T screaming about it.
                If there is one person you don?t need to tell, it?s talent. He is all about the process and not the outcomes doncha know!
                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• He sure is.

Comment

• Putin goes into Trump mode (uncontrollable blithering liar):

Putin claimed that the United States interferes in Russian elections “all the time” but that it was “impossible for us” to do the same.

“First, we have principles whereby we do not allow others to interfere in our domestic affairs and do not get into the affairs of others....

MOSCOW (AP) — Russian President Vladimir Putin says he doesn't care about alleged Russian interference in the U.S. presidential election because the actions weren't connected to his government.
                    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• How many of you progs, specifically hack, Oracle, CGVT, DSL, Jeff, and SLF, would prefer that Trump not meet with the NoKos in May? Are any of you able to specify what the US is giving up in such a meeting?

You are against that meeting because it might become a foreign policy win for Trump, and that might help him win another term. That, in turn, would limit the free shit you progs are able to suck off the tit of the federal government (read: the American taxpayers). There is no downside to a meeting with the NoKos, but you guys understand that a Trump win might cost you some largesse, and so you oppose the May meeting, but never give an example of how it might hurt the US. Your greed and your desire to take from the productive members of society is disgusting.

Comment

• Bullshit. (as usual)

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                          How many of you progs, specifically hack, Oracle, CGVT, DSL, Jeff, and SLF, would prefer that Trump not meet with the NoKos in May? Are any of you able to specify what the US is giving up in such a meeting?

You are against that meeting because it might become a foreign policy win for Trump, and that might help him win another term. That, in turn, would limit the free shit you progs are able to suck off the tit of the federal government (read: the American taxpayers). There is no downside to a meeting with the NoKos, but you guys understand that a Trump win might cost you some largesse, and so you oppose the May meeting, but never give an example of how it might hurt the US. Your greed and your desire to take from the productive members of society is disgusting.
                          I dont give a fuck if he meets with him or not.

So, yes, as cgtv said, more pos bullshit.

Comment

• If there is one person you don’t need to tell, it’s talent. He is all about the process and not the outcomes doncha know!
                            I appreciate that, SLF. Indeed, the correct approach to the Russia investigation is process. Like wait until there's some sort of evidence of collusion before claim such.

You should try it out, dude. At least once.

FYI, saw that the 2nd Circuit ruled that the 1964 Civil Rights Act's prohibition against sex discrimination includes sexual orientation. I assume you're super-thrilled. Great dissent by Obama-appointee Judge Lynch. If he were a conservative appointee I'm sure you and your #GentryProg boys would have smeared him as a bigot that hates gay people. But, as an Obama guy it's a little harder.

No rules, just right! #GentryProg
                            Last edited by iam416; March 10, 2018, 03:36 PM.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Wow. Geeze forgot his meds this morning it seems. Then again, with Baghdad Sarah in Chump's doghouse, maybe he's auditioning for WH Press Sec.

Last edited by Ghengis Jon; March 10, 2018, 05:06 PM.
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• heh, there are times when I think I would be better than Sarah Huckleberry.

Comment

Working...
                                X