No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow. Chief think-tank Iran hater seemed to have a Kinsley gaffe on purpose.

Comment

• Maggie was our cleaning lady who became a family friend.

The young girl told investigators that her father, Doug, tried to come after her, but she was able to escape unharmed.
      Terrifying, that Girl will be scared for life. It really hits hard when you know the people or something like this happens to you. Sorry to hear this entropy

Comment

• 30415620_886330271574529_9037659867178860544_n.jpg
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Way back in January, Nunes had a meeting with Rosenstein in which his damn staffers threatened Rosenstein to hold him in contempt. He replied that sure, ok, and if you do so I'll have the legal right to subpoena all your emails and records to help defend myself. He's 100% right about that. Republican staffers on the Intel Committee then traded emails back of forth: OMG! Did you hear that? He threatened us! Threatened us!"

Six months go by and suddenly Nunes people start leaking those emails to FoxNews. They tell Fox that these emails between Republican staffers proves, by God, that Rosenstein is so unscrupulous. Rosenstein now talking about requesting an IG investigation into the House Intel Committee's staff.

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein’s ongoing battle with House Republicans reached new heights Tuesday, as the No. 2 senior leader of the Justice Department plans to call on the House to investigate its own committee staff.

Comment

• This is somehow surprising? Trump goo gooblers lying, misconstruing facts, and leaking to Trump's Department of Propaganda? Shocking I say, shocking!!!
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• The video Trump had commissioned for Kim is embarrassing.
              Last edited by AlabamAlum; June 12, 2018, 10:28 PM.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I already miss Anthony Bourdain. He seemingly had everything. Money, fame, health, beautiful women, a daughter who loved him, and throngs of adoring fans, of which I am one, and his "job" was travelling the world, eating, and making commentary...but yet, somehow, his demons were too tough for him to slay.

The world lost a rare talent. I will grieve his death for a good while longer. Easily, the hardest any celebrity death has hit me.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Seems strangely similar to the Scientology recruitment videos.

Mueller letting everyone know unwitting citizens still aiding foreign entity election meddling.

i imagine kapture might soon be found under unwitting synonyms.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                    I already miss Anthony Bourdain. He seemingly had everything. Money, fame, health, beautiful women, a daughter who loved him, and throngs of adoring fans, of which I am one, and his "job" was travelling the world, eating, and making commentary...but yet, somehow, his demons were too tough for him to slay.

The world lost a rare talent. I will grieve his death for a good while longer. Easily, the hardest any celebrity death has hit me.
                    Look at pictures of him smiling. Some are taken as he was laughing but most he is smiling. Notice that the smile stops at his mouth, while his eyes are frowning.

if anyone close to you starts smiling with the mouth only and that smile never reaches their eyes find out what's going on in their lives, the body never lies.

Comment

• Lebron said he broke his hand in game one, wore a soft cast after game 4 sweep at post presser.

Comment

• Spidercoon:

The internet is transfixed as the animal scales a 23-floor Minnesota building for nearly a day.
                        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Democratic Senators send a letter to PDJT asking that he do something about higher gas prices because they are "effectively a tax on every American family's discretionary budget...." https://www.democrats.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Oil.pdf

You want to know what is actually a tax on every American family's discretionary budget? Gasoline taxes. I guess it's ok if the gouging goes to the Federal government.

Related, of course, I wonder how many Democrats would argue for higher gas prices to decrease consumption in the name of global warming. Lots, including Schumer (on the letter) and, of course, Markey, who also co-signed. This point is germane because this particularly goal only focuses on making gas expensive. Where the money ends up is incidental.
                          Last edited by iam416; June 13, 2018, 07:02 AM.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Perhaps only I found this interesting, but Seattle has repealed a tax aimed at its larger companies that would tax said companies per employee. Yes, if you hire someone, you get to pay a bonus tax. The ostensible goal was to fight homelessness. Amazon, Starbucks and others did not take kindly to this tax. Repeal was by a 7-2 vote, plus the mayor: https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...n-tax-55844262

I find it interesting because Seattle, from afar, strike me as aggressively progressive. They were leaders in passing a high minimum wage and they actually managed to pass this. So, this seems to me to be at edges of what progressives can accomplish (for now). You can't put a special tax on businesses for a specific cause, or at least THAT cause. That suggests to me that, like all taxes, they're better off hidden. Surely they could have just raised taxes a tad to generate the income, but they were explicit (kudos to them on that front, btw).

Also, I haven't a clue how big a problem homelessness is in Seattle. I reckon it's a not an economy thing so much as a geography/weather + culture thing. It's not bitterly cold and city government is probably very understanding = as good as place as any (not in California) to be homeless.

Anywho, I'm sure SLF can weigh in.

Comment

• Finally, congratulations to the United States as it will host the 2026 World Cup. Well, 75% of it. Mexico and Canada will divvy up the remaining 25% (20 total matches). On the little brother front, I hope most of the 20 are in Canada, but they have a shortage of World Cup quality stadiums at the moment. I reckon this may mean Toronto and/or Montreal get considerable upgrades for their MLS teams. Mexico -- man. Mexico City will surely get significant matches. I'm not sure where else they'll play, but they have plenty of options and some even involve cities not run by cartels.

This was the unequivocal, only logical choice. Of course, that is not a criteria for FIFA. 2026 will be the first year the World Cup expands from 32 to 48 and there aren't many (if any) countries other than the US equipped to host that many matches. And, unlike the winners from 2010-22, there won't be any frantic stadium building -- at least not in the US.

Looking forward to it if I manage to live that long. By then HARBAUGH!!!!! will be in full swing and I'll desperately need a distraction.

Comment

• That is the trend in tax policy. Since revenues are subject to artificial constructs that do not reflect real economic activity -- such as the legal shifting of profits to low-tax jurisdictions like when tech firms transfer ownership of their IP to subsidiaries in Ireland -- the trend is to tax multinationals based on factors anchored to real economic activity, such as where you have workers or facilities, or where sales are made. Ongoing adoption of such principles is led by the OECD, but ~120 or so countries have signed on to implement the same suite of reforms.

Comment

Working...
                                X