No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, that may well be, and I don't have a problem with that. But, first, and most obviously, the Seattle tax was essentially earmarked. Second, tying tax obligations to economic activity is a distinct approach to taxing companies per employee. I'm quite alright with companies paying taxes to jurisdictions based on where their work. That's related to the fundamental legal principle of personal jurisdiction. I think doing it as Seattle did -- actually collecting taxes based on number of employees (as opposed to profits, revenues, sales or otherwise) is bad form. I'm sure taxes are taxes are taxes and it all evens out, the form creates an appearance that is tough to sell -- especially when it goes to funding a war on homelessness.

In any event, I didn't much focus or care about the form. It only struck my interest because it was a tax Seattle repealed.
    Last edited by iam416; June 13, 2018, 08:18 AM.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I'm surprised that the US got it, the vote was looking sketchy after the US government led the charge to oust Blatter and his cohorts. There must have been some back room deal to get the swing votes.

Comment

• 500 page report likely set the stage for the continued crucifixion of the fbi/cia

Comment

• Froot

The new voting format perhaps encouraged another focus on money. Not to say the same old rampant corruption wasn't there, but in the past it was like two dozen individuals voting who could really only get paid for their vote. They had no direct tie to the profits of the WC. By shifting it to worldwide FA vote they now have skin in the game. They get a share of the WC treasure and the US bid was massively more lucrative than Morocco. Now, the heads of each FA are still able to cash in on their vote, but they also have to balance that against the extra millions their FA will get (and they can redirect).

It's laughable to think of Morocco hosting a 48-team world cup, but not nearly as much so a Qatar hosting anything. Under different circumstances it could have very well ended up in Morocco.

To your larger point, though -- FIFA makes Russian oligarchs blush. Agreed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
            Way back in January, Nunes had a meeting with Rosenstein in which his damn staffers threatened Rosenstein to hold him in contempt. He replied that sure, ok, and if you do so I'll have the legal right to subpoena all your emails and records to help defend myself. He's 100% right about that. Republican staffers on the Intel Committee then traded emails back of forth: OMG! Did you hear that? He threatened us! Threatened us!"

Six months go by and suddenly Nunes people start leaking those emails to FoxNews. They tell Fox that these emails between Republican staffers proves, by God, that Rosenstein is so unscrupulous. Rosenstein now talking about requesting an IG investigation into the House Intel Committee's staff.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/12/polit...ion/index.html
            and Rosenstein continues to block access
            House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes, R-Calif., has given the Justice Department until Tuesday to provide access to documents concerning the FBI's alleged informant looking into any Russian ties to President Trump's 2016 campaign.

still no word on rosensteins reasons for signing that fisa warrant

Comment

• The EU using its anti-competition commission to retroactively alter the tax bills of Google or Amazon in Ireland is also bad form. Then again, no public-sector bad form would be necessary without the bad form of the taxpayer in the first place. Legal options to reduce tax bills have made a mockery of the concepts underlying the rules, such as the arm's-length principle. So ultimately multinationals used bad form successfully to reduce tax bills, and now doesn't like that the other side is willing to use bad form too.

Comment

• To be clear, as it relates to my opinion on Seattle, "bad form" refers to a form that "creates an appearance that is tough to sell" -- political bad form. It may be a perfectly good form/way to do it as a matter of policy, but it's seems politically bad as evidenced by a progressive city's rejection of it. Again, that's what I find interesting. I don't find Seattle and the international tax law particularly related. They are each interesting, but in their own right.

Comment

• Trump with two whoppers just this morning:

1) The nuclear threat from North Korea has been eliminated

2) The fake news media is America's greatest threat

Comment

• And the #Trumpbuttlickers are eating both of those up.

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Trump with two whoppers just this morning:

1) The nuclear threat from North Korea has been eliminated

2) The fake news media is America's greatest threat
                      that is not what he said, so this is a giant fail on your part.

He said there is no longer a nuclear threat from N Korea, as in the liberal hysteria that the bombs were gonna start dropping anytime now. At this moment we are not in danger of being nuked. As of right this moment, we have bigger threats in the world than N Korea, yet when 0bama left office they were our biggest national security threat per 0bama.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post

that is not what he said, so this is a giant fail on your part.

He said there is no longer a nuclear threat from N Korea, as in the liberal hysteria that the bombs were gonna start dropping anytime now. At this moment we are not in danger of being nuked. As of right this moment, we have bigger threats in the world than N Korea, yet when 0bama left office they were our biggest national security threat per 0bama.
                        Like a good Trump gobbler, Kapture insists that we should ignore what Trump said, and pay attention to what he meant. And what he meant is entirely up to the Trump gobbler giving you this "advice".

Thanks to Kapture's translation "There is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea!" actually means "We are in no danger from a North Korea nuke as of this moment ("moment" being defined as the next 10 seconds) despite all the fake news hysteria"

Comment

• Michael Cohen's attorneys have withdrawn from case. He's expected to cooperate with prosecutors, source tell ABC

Comment

Like a good Trump gobbler, Kapture insists that we should ignore what Trump said, and pay attention to what he meant. And what he meant is entirely up to the Trump gobbler giving you this "advice".

Thanks to Kapture's translation "There is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea!" actually means "We are in no danger from a North Korea nuke as of this moment ("moment" being defined as the next 10 seconds) despite all the fake news hysteria"
                            Lol

Comment

• Comment

• Laura Ingraham calling for Pruitt to be fired. He may really be in trouble this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X