Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

And that's fine. For you. And your spawn. But others may not be so enthralled with the general ed curriculum and may not want to pay what is probably a full year's tuition for those classes.

Maybe employers will demand the general ed background; maybe we'll find out that engineers that don't take two semesters worth of humanities are just as proficient as those that do. Maybe we'll find out that history teachers that don't take two Math classes and two science classes teach history just as well as those that do.

I know which outcome I'd bet on.
    I think it is a mistake to make the entirety of formal education just about the job you will have. There are some cues we can take from the trade schools without having to completely morph into their model. I do not want to give up a requirement for a class in literature, history, philosophy or whatever. A well-rounded education is important, imo. Your mileage obviously varies and that's fine. It's not the first time you've been wrong, Jabroni. It won't be the last. Now, suck it, you Youngstownian troglodyte.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I don't think it's the whole story, it's probably half the story. That would the micro-economic approach. The argument for upping the overall education level of an area or the country is you get more innovation and you create a lot of businesses from the collaboration between local communities and the local universities
      Government metrics rarely tell even half the story. But government metrics are what matters once the government starts caring about how taxpayer dollars are spent. Easy-to-understand metrics can be the basis for political ends. For the love of god, Obama used "1 in 5" to push the sexual violence on campus crisis that moved policy in a certain direction. If Rs get the keys and if Rs don't have much use for certain courses, it's not hard to imagine ways that they can use obvious metrics to attack them.

I'm just saying -- and I know you're not disagreeing -- when you get taxpayer dollars involved to that degree the long arm of Uncle Same is coming with it.

I think it is a mistake to make the entirety of formal education just about the job you will have. There are some cues we can take from the trade schools without having to completely morph into their model. I do not want to give up a requirement for a class in literature, history, philosophy or whatever. A well-rounded education is important, imo. Your mileage obviously varies and that's fine. It's not the first time you've been wrong, Jabroni. It won't be the last. Now, suck it, you Youngstownian troglodyte.
      Your rejection of the German model sickens me. No one who speaks German could ever be bad.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Germans are the worst people. Here's the proof:

WWI? Strike I. WWII, Strike 2, Franz Beckenbauer? Strike 3, they are OUT!
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• No wiggle room for good beer?
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
            No wiggle room for good beer?
            Belgium beer is better and it has 100% less fascism.

Comment

• You a fan of Jordan Peterson? Why am I not surprised. Feeling a little overcome by your inability to get laid?

Comment

•  

Comment

•  

Comment

• What do you do all day Kapture? Pick your nose and taste your snot?

Comment

• Is he posting Jordan Peterson? That's about right.

Comment

• What's wrong with Jordan Peterson?

Comment

• Jordan Peterson? Wasn't he the decent 2B that played for the Cubbies in the 1980's? Good glove, average bat.

Comment

• You're thinking of Mark Lemke. Bad glove, worse bat.

Comment

• lot of kids that shouldn't be expected to follow the curriculum of studies who's skills lie in other areas beside the current classroom requirnments we have.

and the rip off of those kids who expect their college diploma to land them something that doesn't start them out with 100+ k of debt in a job paying less then 20 dollars an hour is despictable too.

Comment

• Talent, I hope your face catches on fire and someone puts it out with an ice pick.

Comment

Working...
                                X