No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A degree is essentially a product. Caveat emptor. There is no excuse for someone to take out a huge school loan and then bitch that they were unaware of job opportunities or salaries available after graduation. You have a cell phone? You can well research both in about the time it takes to order an avocado toast and kombucha at some millennial eatery. Cry me a river, Addison or Hunter. Your tears will find no purchase with my sympathy.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Hmmm. That's a reason why I think college ought not be free.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• A good proxy for the German model: https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/presse/i...fup/index.html. The ratio of soft to hard studies is pretty bad, actually, me and AA might even say.

I also think that we've already got taxpayer dollars spent on education and on humanities, and on soft skills and cultural enrichment. Certainly public schools at all levels are cutting back on stuff like music and art instruction, but it's there and in the mix.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          Hmmm. That's a reason why I think college ought not be free.

I am not for universal tax payer funded free college. At all. I do like what Georgia does, though.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

Belgium beer is better and it has 100% less fascism.
            Now and again I'm up for some of the spiced-up fragrant stuff, but that's a changeup. In the summer months one should make the Munich breweries the mainstay. It astonishes me that I can get a six of Paulaner Hefeweisen for less than I can some overfruited nonsense from a craft brewery in the US that didn't even exist three years ago.

Comment

• Fun piece on Jordan Peterson. Very easy to unravel.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post

Now and again I'm up for some of the spiced-up fragrant stuff, but that's a changeup. In the summer months one should make the Munich breweries the mainstay. It astonishes me that I can get a six of Paulaner Hefeweisen for less than I can some overfruited nonsense from a craft brewery in the US that didn't even exist three years ago.

I don't love hefes. Revise and resubmit.

Comment

• hack-beerpost-v2:

Now and again I'm up for some of the spiced-up fragrant stuff, but that's a changeup. In the summer months one should make the Munich breweries the mainstay. It astonishes me that I can get a six of Paulaner Hefeweisen for less than I can some overfruited nonsense from a craft brewery in the US that didn't even exist three years ago. Even for those poor souls unable to appreciate a wonderful wheat beer in the summer months, Munich's lagers are the world's finest.

Alternate suggestion: Yuengling. At $7, or even $20 for a case of 24, that's the best beer for your buck in America.

Comment

• lol

Comment

• "What's wrong with Jordan Peterson?"

Nothing if you are some wimpy shit who can't get laid and need someone to spurt psycobabble that it is your right as a male to grow up aggressive and dominate women or need to blame all others for your lack of masculinity. If only you could fight and pound your chest. Do it Do It Do it (or to make it simple-Kapture is the perfect poster boy for his shit._

Comment

• One thing for which Peterson deserves a ton of credit is admitting when he's wrong. I thought he was just a bog-standard snake oil salesman, and that's where he seemed headed with the weird revivalist-preacher suit he wears now, but you can't be that guy if you're intellectually as honest as he is. Kind of a unique character. Seems to really believe what he says.

Comment

• Stan's #hottake on Peterson only affirms my thoughts on him.

Comment

• BTW, I'm quite open to why folks things Peterson is wrong or awful. Personally, I disagree with his take on the humanities. Unfortunately, hack's FT article was pay-walled. But, if there are positions he takes that someone finds ludicrous they can make that case. When shit on, e.g., Jessica Valenti (or Dan Rather...lol)....I try to explain why (perhaps ever so briefly). But, I'm open to hearing why he's awful.

Comment

• [s]

Comment

• I honestly don't know what the right word is for the guy. Some of the positions he takes ARE awful. Some aren't. I think it's wonderful to have a "public intellectual", for want of a better term, that so readily admits fallibility. That's so novel and welcome. But if you're minded to follow the money, it's obvious he's cashing in, and the analysis probably has to start there.

Comment

Working...
                                X