No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my favorite canards is that the standardized tests are culturally biased. I mean, why else would AAs possibly do so much worse on them? Now I have to assume standardized tests are massively biased in favor of them Asians. Who knew?

I've had the good fortune of working on reports that produced policy recommendations that were ostensibly based on various metrics. Of course, the conclusion was predetermined and the metrics cherry-picked. But, it provided me with lots of work and an entree into a field I enjoy. It's obvious that any progressive is going to assess the economy from a point of wealth inequality is awful and go from there. Hannibal is just so right it frightens me. It's akin to the standardized test example -- the dreaded implicit bias produces outcome inequality which must be changed!

Ideology outweighs the importance of data when we have radically different ideologies.
    Word.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Far more sympathy with your second point than your first. It is hard for me to think of a case in which ideology should come first. What works works. Rather than predict the future outcomes based on this hypothesis or that one, make observations on a relevant scale and do what the numbers suggest. That's a far more robust approach to overcoming human error.

Comment

• Regardless of what you feel or think about income inequality, we have thousands of years of history that shows the instability inherent in unequal societies. The pitchforks always come out. Bad ideas are violently rejected in favor of other bad ideas.

In this case, the current ideas aren't that bad, and there's a strong chance they would be replaced with something worse. I think a data-driven debate would suggest reform and not revolution. Which is what we should want -- to tweak the system and preserve it, rather than run a version of it so extreme that it gets rejected for something else more half-baked.

Comment

• Axios saying Rosenstein has resigned. Holy moly

EDIT: Media outlets disputing whether he verbally resigned or not. He's heading to the WH and some outlets saying he expects to be fired

Noel Francisco, the Solicitor General, would take over Mueller if true.
          Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; September 24, 2018, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• Correction to my last post. Whether he resigned or is being fired is not just spin. If he 'resigned' Trump is able to just appoint an interim replacement; if he was fired, THEN it seems Noel Francisco would automatically become the interim deputy AG. So it's probably more in Trump's interest that he 'resign'

Comment

• hopefully a resignation.

Comment

• It sounds like a false alarm, but its worth noting that even if it happened Francisco wouldn't necessarily be the interim replacement due to some recusal issues with his law firm.

Comment

• lol, so I guess he's fine to at least thursday.

maybe it was a test to see who's leak? plenty of people did!

Comment

• Rod Rosenstein sexually assaulted me. I'm not exactly sure when or how. And I may have been drunk at the time. And I'm not even sure if it was even him. But I DEMAND a full FBI investigation so that we can get the facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                      Strange: Last I heard, even Sen. Grassley has not seen the whole of the letter this babe supposedly sent to Feinstein. That letter was sent after she scrubbed her social media accounts, and after she contacted the WaPo's tip-line. How do you know what was alleged in the letter? Why won't the Dems share the whole letter with the Committee?

And, good lord, she acknowledges she remained clothed during the whole incident, her clothing covering a one-piece bathing suit. This is rape? Really? Maybe we simply should ban sex before the age of 18. That would fix the problem.

As far as I'm concerned, any nominee to the SC who has NOT had some form of sex by their 18th birthday should be disqualified from becoming a Justice because they are not normal and are probably queer or gay or transexual or animalistic.

Speaking of which, condolences to Stan and his dog. This second conservative Justice will probably delay the planned nuptials.
                      Geezer thought that with this very creepy post he was defending Kavanaugh's nature. But Kavanaugh just told Fox in an interview that he remained a virgin all through high school and, in fact, for many years thereafter.

So Geezer- Do you figure Kavanaugh is gay, transsexual, or animalisitic?

Comment

• Let's be more specific here though. DSL's mom is "animalistic", yes. Lots of people would agree. But that's not the same as DSL wanting to engage in intercourse with non-human animals.

Comment

• Et tu, hack?

Comment

• Ask OP.

Comment

• Trump is an outlier. His base considers him a strong leader and to a certain extent he has championed policy that is not altogether insane. He certainly embraces some of America's core values - or at least he pretends he does. Some of the policies he has championed are quite rational actually. But, at the same time, he possesses some of the least appealing qualities of the strong men that the article I linked to above lists. I have a hard time understanding, in light of this reality, why he has any supporters at all .... other than they like to be lead by tyrants because of the appearance that that is better than the alternative of democratic governance.

Really, Jeff? I didn't support him, but I do now. That is because of his policies. When you look at the shit storm that is the current Democrat Party, any rational person would prefer Trump and the Republicans. Trump was freely elected. Who elected Rosenstein or Mueller? Does what is happening to Kavanaugh look like democracy to you? The left, as it has done since the middle ages, seeks to turn the Western system of Justice on its head by making the accused prove he is innocent. That is straight out of Henry VIII. Is that really the country you want?

Why do you gentry progs hate Trump so? Rather than regurgitate stuff you have read, could you put it into your own words?

I believe that the losers want to drag the winners down with them. That is all the phrase "social justice" means: income redistribution. For a century now, Progressives have believed in a powerful bureaucratic state, and the conflict in this country is all about acquiring power to take what the winners have earned in what was a competitive society. That is why Trump call about "winning" has such resonance.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                One of my favorite canards is that the standardized tests are culturally biased. I mean, why else would AAs possibly do so much worse on them? Now I have to assume standardized tests are massively biased in favor of them Asians. Who knew?

I've had the good fortune of working on reports that produced policy recommendations that were ostensibly based on various metrics. Of course, the conclusion was predetermined and the metrics cherry-picked. But, it provided me with lots of work and an entree into a field I enjoy. It's obvious that any progressive is going to assess the economy from a point of wealth inequality is awful and go from there. Hannibal is just so right it frightens me. It's akin to the standardized test example -- the dreaded implicit bias produces outcome inequality which must be changed!
                                Has anyone heard of a standardized test in which AAs come within one standard deviation of the scores of whites? "Experts" have tried their best to design a culturally biased test favoring AAs, but have never succeeded. Just saying. Maybe the tests are accurate, and Asians are smarter than whites, and whites are smarter than AAs.

Comment

Working...
                                X