Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    These articles come via Noah Rothman (Commentary magazine). So you think Democrats have been inconsistent in their support for a Wall? Recall: the Republicans controlled both Houses of Congress for 8 years, including the first two years of Trump's Presidency. Deals to fund the Wall were constantly put out there but nothing ever happened. Blaming Senate Democrats non-enthusiasm is ridiculous; just look at these Republican responses. Guess what? Republicans in Congress suddenly got way, waaaaay more enthusiastic about a Wall once they were out of power. Sort of like how they voted 50+ times to abolish Obamacare then got cold feet once the votes actually mattered.

(2/6/2017) "I have concerns about spending un-offset money, which adds to the debt, period," [John] Cornyn said bluntly when asked about the wall. "I don't think we're just going to be able to solve border security with a physical barrier because people can come under, around it and through it."

https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/03/polit...ans/index.html

(3/28/2017) "The border wall is probably not a smart investment." -- Lindsay Graham

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...funding-236561

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...d-Trump-s-wall

(7/25/2017) "House Republicans Seek to Dodge Wall Vote"

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...ll-vote-240957

(9/2/2017) "We're going to punt a vote on Wall funding to December" -- Current GOP House Leader McCarthy

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...ccarthy-242327

(9/20/2017) Less than 25% of Republicans House members support Wall construction

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ons/640196001/

(2/15/2018) Trump immigration plan gets only 39 Senate votes

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...hem/341985002/

(6/21/2018) Hardline Immigration Bill fails to pass in the House; 41 Republicans vote against

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/21/u...eparation.html
    [
    (9/20/2018) House Republicans punt Wall decision until after the Election; Tell Trump he doesn't have the votes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.12ffbabb5c82

The next time a Trump supporter tells you Dems are being inconsistent about support for the Wall, remind them Republicans failed again and again and again to get a bill passed EVEN IN THE HOUSE, where there is no fillibuster. And many of the sycophants defending Trump the loudest today (*cough* Graham *cough*) were calling the Wall a waste of money just a couple years ago.

I can give you 5 times the number of Dems supporting the wall and increased border security, many by those blocking it now.

Comment

• How many on DSL list are former Presidents and First Lady's? Bigger voices in their respective party's.

How many on DSL list said they didn't support for the wall b/c it was immoral, raciest, cruel, not who we are?

That is the hypocrite on the left, not about if it works or not. Not about spending money,

'NOW' >>>>>>> "Its just wrong to keep other people from other country's out!".

Immoral - all of a sudden? Wonder why?
      Last edited by WingsFan; January 9, 2019, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• Apples and Oranges again by DSL

I would at least respect the left if they 'only' said "cant do it cost to much" or 'it wont work" But no they have to stick to their main narrative.

whats-in-your-wallet-race-card-30951179.png

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post

I can give you 5 times the number of Dems supporting the wall and increased border security, many by those blocking it now.
          Every time they accepted it in the past, they also got something in exchange. They were prepared to give Trump $25 BILLION last year in exchange for a pathway to citizenship for DACA. Trump refused.

Trump wants the Dems to fund the Wall in exchange for NOTHING. Not even Republicans for the past two years would give him that.

Comment

• No, he wants them to fund 20% of the wall. Astonishing media incompetence here in saying Trump is gonna build a wall for $5.7bn. He's holding everything for ransom for an amount that, by his own agency's calculations, would be enough to build a small fraction of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
              How many on DSL list are former Presidents and First Lady's? Bigger voices in their respective party's.

How many on DSL list said they didn't support for the wall b/c it was immoral, raciest, cruel, not who we are?

That is the hypocrite on the left, not about if it works or not. Not about spending money,

'NOW' >>>>>>> "Its just wrong to keep other people from other country's out!".

Immoral - all of a sudden? Wonder why?
              Why couldn't House Republicans pass Wall funding, wings? There's no fillibuster there. No way to blame Dems. The R's couldn't even get enough people in their own party to support it. You can't explain that, can you? You just babble BS about how this is all the Dems fault, Republicans wouldn't let this happen, blah blah blah.

The entire time Republicans controlled Congress I can't recall a single time you said "fuck it, Trump should just declare an emergency and forget working with Republicans"

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                No, he wants them to fund 20% of the wall. Astonishing media incompetence here in saying Trump is gonna build a wall for $5.7bn. He's holding everything for ransom for an amount that, by his own agency's calculations, would be enough to build a small fraction of it.
                That's absolutely correct.

Comment

• Which helps with the realization that this really isn't actually about building a wall.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                    Apples and Oranges again by DSL

I would at least respect the left if they 'only' said "cant do it cost to much" or 'it wont work" But no they have to stick to their main narrative.

whats-in-your-wallet-race-card-30951179.png

JESUS H CHRIST

The Dems would have given Trump $25 Million in 2017 if only he had said "yeah, I'll let the Dreamers have a pathway to citizenship"

Guess why that didn't happen? Because there's a huge amount of Trump's base that is not only opposed to giving those kids citizenship, EVER, they also demand they all be deported IMMEDIATELY. Not even Trump wants to shit on those kids that badly but yeah, a bunch of his base DOES.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                      Which helps with the realization that this really isn't actually about building a wall.
                      It's increasingly likely that Trump would be happy to declare an emergency and send this to the courts. That way he can say to his stupider supporters: "hey, I fought like no president has ever fought for anything. It's the fault of those globalist judges". I don't think he himself gives much of a fuck anymore. But he knows he's boxed himself in and has almost no legislative way out.

Another problem? Trump has undercut just about everyone that works in the White House, Pence, Kushner, Mulvaney, Kelly, included. No one in Congress has any reason to believe a promise from a WH representative. Only if it comes from Trump's mouth directly, and he's wildly uninformed and distant from actual negotiation (and even then he breaks his promises as I'm almost 100% sure he did with McConnell)

Comment

• Trump is very bad at negotiations.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          Trump is very bad at negotiations.
                          My hunch on why that is is because his business career rarely exposed him to situations where he and his opponent had roughly equal bargaining power. He's used to telling a furniture supplier "either give me this for xxx for the hotel or I'll use someone else". That's HIS idea of a negotiation. He tells the other party what's going to happen and they can take it or leave it.

His experience leading a business has also always been exaggerated because he's never dealt with hostile shareholders, never had to answer to anyone but his father for a brief period of time, and basically could run his business as a personal piggy bank. Which is NOT the same experience that a person like, say, Rex Tillerson has.

Comment

• Former Congressman Charlie Dent (R-PA) says the Trump Republican Party is like the Black Knight from Monty Python

They keep having arms or legs cut off and immediately declare victory

Comment

• Just a flesh wound

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

My hunch on why that is is because his business career rarely exposed him to situations where he and his opponent had roughly equal bargaining power. He's used to telling a furniture supplier "either give me this for xxx for the hotel or I'll use someone else". That's HIS idea of a negotiation. He tells the other party what's going to happen and they can take it or leave it.

His experience leading a business has also always been exaggerated because he's never dealt with hostile shareholders, never had to answer to anyone but his father for a brief period of time, and basically could run his business as a personal piggy bank. Which is NOT the same experience that a person like, say, Rex Tillerson has.
                                I just think it was a slogan that the rubes took him seriously. He's backed himself into a corner on something that is a gimmick. If it was really important he would have went after it when he had unified government. It is government where Ann Coulter has veto power.

Comment

Working...
                                X