No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President-in-Waiting Biden says black folks who don't vote Democrat "ain't black." Don't know why he didn't just call them a buncha Toms.

One can imagine the outrage if words similar to that came from an R. As it is, the Media is in operation "sweep it under the rug."
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      President-in-Waiting Biden says black folks who don't vote Democrat "ain't black." Don't know why he didn't just call them a buncha Toms.

One can imagine the outrage if words similar to that came from an R. As it is, the Media is in operation "sweep it under the rug."
      Agreed. This is very damaging because that show has a good amount of influence among voters that Biden is having trouble with. And the MSM will sweep it away and excuse it (just like they did with Tara Reid). BTW it is also being reported that Biden has said he will not raise taxes on those that make 400k or less. That is to the RIGHT of Obama/HRC who had it had 250k.

Also, Biden team has not reached out or even inquired about how the Sen Sanders team did so well with under 45 across all ethnic groups (especially with Latino/Latinx). One would think it would be a priority. Right now, Trump is making inroads with both groups.

These are just the latest examples of a realignment of the Democratic party. Biden wants it to be a party of the suburbs, rich/donor class that are moved with Identity politics(hence the woman for VP) and African-Americans (the supreme court nomination for an African-American woman). The attitude towards progressive/working class people is that you really aren't going to vote for the other guys right? because we are a little bit better than them. Lesser of two evils.

Biden hiding in his basement might win (certainly seems to be doing well right now), because Trump has been so awful. And a lot of Republicans might actually go down with him but the moderate corporate Dems agree a ton with Trump on the economics of things.

This is a moment that requires big thinking and on the federal level the TPTB (Trump, McConnell, Pelosi and Schumer) all have failed miserably.
      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

.....The facts are that R(t) values in nearly ever state are less than 1. Whether you're in a lockdown or not. We've managed to get things down to less than 1. That's human behavior driven. We have generally changed the way we behave and it's having an effect. You keep pointing out whatever partisan bullshit anecdotes. I'll keep point out macro stats.
        Its partly human behavior driven and, no doubt that has an impact but the natural course of a pandemic does to. How much of each I don't think anyone knows.

I also don't think everyone is in the don't give a shit, shopping cart group per my post earlier today. People do care ..... at least that's my observation - mostly - in Fort Lauderdale that has a huge restaurant and bar scene. Bars remain closed but I've seen at least one place, yesterday evening on a drive down Los Olas Ave. Where people were standing (not sure if they were getting served, in an open air bar apparently unconcerned about social distancing. OTH, all of the restaurants that have decided to open (not all but most have) on Los Olas that I walked by this morning were all nicely set up with appropriate table distancing or, in the case of booths, plexiglass partitions were in place.

Anyway, we're going to be fine unless the press, stoked by the hand-wringers and looking for a big story, force public officials into backing down ..... and I still believe that's a distinct possibility her in S. FL.
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

I am absolutley and completely unsurprised that CGVT and Whitley think that "[a]ssuming that people are going to be careful should never be figured into the equation." Their answer is never with the people; it's always -- ALWAYS with the Government.

I feel bad for them. I feel bad that they live around bad people. They should move to Columbus. Folks here generally are following the guidelines. It's a great place.

No, you do want to stay locked down forever. Or until there's a vaccine. Your partisan shitposting is a joke. I assfucked your dumbass Texas bullshit and now you're back for more. What it is today is what it will be 8-12 months from now. Period. Nothing is changing. You actually think we should re-open (and I know you don't because that's PDJT thinks and you can't possibly bring yourself to agree with him) -- then you're going to have to trust that enough people will act sensibly to lower the R(t) value. There is zero alternative. But you don't care because you're a lockdown forever dude.

The facts are that R(t) values in nearly ever state are less than 1. Whether you're in a lockdown or not. We've managed to get things down to less than 1. That's human behavior driven. We have generally changed the way we behave and it's having an effect. You keep pointing out whatever partisan bullshit anecdotes. I'll keep point out macro stats.

WE. HAVE. CHANGED. BEHAVIOR. PERIOD.
          Oh bullshit. Don't be such a dumbfuck.

If Trumps says Go balls to the wall and reopen everything, then you are right, I do not agree with that.

The bottom line is things are going to open. We have no fucking choice. As I said. I get it. And the reality is people are going to die because we have to reopen. That is inevitable. But if you think people going to act sensibly to try to limit the damage you are a fucking naive moron.
          People don't act sensibly. Ever.

Obviously you don't live in Trump land. What I posted is the predominant attitude. Maybe when the numbers spike later in the summer and some of these morons get hit a little closer to home, they will start to pay attention, but until then, to them it is nothing more than a Democrat ploy to bring down Trump

Speaking af ass-fucking, why don't you go fuck yourself?
          Last edited by CGVT; May 22, 2020, 05:33 PM.
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Patrick Ewing taken to the hospital with Covid. Georgetown hoops put out a statement saying no one else with the team has tested positive. Was mentioned by Birx today that DC is currently the most worrisome metro area in the country

Comment

• CGVT thinks people don’t act sensibly. Ever. I’m done wrecking that dude. Total trash poster. But, hey, he’s rooting for the pandemic. Clearly.

Meanwhile, in Ohio, every indoor place I go is at roughly 75-100% masks. Must be imagining things. Must be imaging low R(t) values. Can’t be.

Comment

• Buchanan:

I don’t think the pandemic is anywhere close to running its course. If we hadn’t altered our behavior we’d be proper fucked. I think we can manage the virus going forward with rational behavior that most people will undertake, and that should be more than enough.

The other reality is that if you’re not in a nursing home or similar facility you’re in a good spot. It’s startling how many deaths are in such facilities. 70% of deaths in Ohio. Similar numbers in Pennsylvania. Tight clusters of highly at risk people are getting crushed. Most others are essentially fine.

We’ll see how the summer goes, but you know that the R(t) of this thing was originally estimated at over 2. If we’re still around 1 in July then I think you can conclusively say we can significantly modify communicability with widespread sensible behavior.

Comment

CGVT thinks people don’t act sensibly. Ever. I’m done wrecking that dude. Total trash poster. But, hey, he’s rooting for the pandemic. Clearly.

Meanwhile, in Ohio, every indoor place I go is at roughly 75-100% masks. Must be imagining things. Must be imaging low R(t) values. Can’t be.

I hope you are being sarcastic about CGVT rooting for the pandemic.

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

CGVT thinks people don’t act sensibly. Ever. I’m done wrecking that dude. Total trash poster. But, hey, he’s rooting for the pandemic. Clearly.

Good Lord. You are a dumbass. Yep rooting for the pandemic.

Just got back from the grocery store. One in ten had masks on. Lower Alabama apparently is not O Fucking hi O

Jesus. The next time you "wreck"me will be the first.

Get over yourself.
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I don't think anyone here is "rooting for the pandemic" ...... there are many though, not just here, that oppose or are dubious of the need to lift mitigation and containment measures. This group is convinced that doing so will cause unnecessary deaths or, if they personally venture out to restaurants, gyms or other enclosed spaces where the risk of becoming infected with SARs-COV-2 is elevated, they'll become infected and be a spreader of COVID.

I'm going to be blunt in addressing opposition to re-openings of all kinds and the doubters: You are contributing to the economic misery, probably deaths, of many more people than continuing lock-downs will spare from COVID related deaths.

The linked article below may be pay-walled but the gist of it is that the world's governments reacted without appropriate thought with the blunt hammer of lock-downs that have turned out be severely damaging on multiple levels. They can be forgiven, however, because, well, necessity. It was all that most governments could come up with as a way of halting the run-away spread of the fucking Chinese Virus.

In retrospect, it's becoming apparent that a more surgical approach would have had less deleterious effects on the economy. Less imposing mitigation and containment measures, if rapidly and properly directed towards high-risk groups, might have saved an equal number of lives, maybe more.........

The consequences (of the global lockdown) will be far-reaching. Hunger permanently stunts children. Lockdowns that block normal services cost lives. The World Health Organisation has warned that covid-19 threatens vaccination programmes. If they stop in Africa, 140 children could die for each covid death averted. A three-month lockdown, followed by a ten-month interruption of tuberculosis treatment, could cause 1.4m deaths in 2020-25. It is the same for malaria and aids. The longer lockdowns continue, the likelier it is that they will cost more lives than they save.

The picture in rich countries is less dramatic, but still worrying. America’s unemployment rate increased from 3.5% in February to 14.7% in April. In Britain a third of new graduates had a job offer withdrawn or delayed. Bond markets in America are signalling a wave of defaults, especially in hospitality, raw materials, carmaking and utilities. The scarring in the labour market could last for years. Rich-world services are vulnerable, too. One study concluded that delaying cancer consultations in England by six months would offset 40% of the life-years gained from treating an equivalent number of covid-19 patients. Vaccination rates have fallen, risking outbreaks of diseases like measles.

But that's hind-sight and belongs in the lessons learned file. There are however, some lessons that can apply in the recovery period, starting now .......

To limit the risk (a second wave) requires an epidemiological approach that focuses on the places and people most likely to spread the disease. An example is care homes, which in Canada have seen 80% of all the country’s deaths even though they house only 1% of the population. In Sweden refugees turn out to be high-risk, perhaps because several generations may be packed into a household. So are security guards, who are often elderly and are exposed to many people in their work ........

I'm going to be blunt again ......There are posts here and elsewhere that demonstrate an unwillingness to be convinced by the facts and the data that show re-opening can be done rationally and safely. Making posts that cast doubt on re-opening strategies or suggest that by doing so, lives will be lost is as counter-productive as the negative Nancy narrative of the broadcast and print media. Often the fundamental basis for doubt about re-openings, esp. certain risky sectors like gyms, is often that people are incapable of following rules to reduce the spread of the virus. My take is that people can and desire to participate in that process to assure re-openings will work. I've seen it, so have others who post.

There's a particular poster here who will nail you for illogical, not based on factual evidence posts. Sure, opinions are important and that's the value of uncensored forums like this. But there is also value in getting called our for stupid posts. If you are convinceable, and as adults we all should be rather than staying committed to ideas that are shown to be foolish, you'll be wiser and come out ahead in the long run.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...article-link-2
                      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• *sigh*

Comment

• Did you know the first French fries weren't actually cooked in France? They were cooked in Greece.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don't know what he laced them with, but I was tripping all day.
                            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• If a child refuses to sleep during nap time, are they guilty of resisting a rest?

Comment

• A slice of apple pie is $2.50 in Jamaica and $3.00 in the Bahamas. These are the pie rates of the Caribbean.

Comment

Working...
                                X