No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again, who is making minimum wage? But, whatever. Bring on the automation or increased cost of goods.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

There hasn't been an increase since 2009 and that was actually voted on in 2007, so 14 years.

And fwiw, $2.75 in 1978 is comparable to $11.03 today after inflation

The 3.45% inflation rate means $2.75 in 1978 is equivalent to $13.09 today. This inflation calculator uses the official US consumer price index published by the Department of Labor.
      So, what was the Community Organizer in Chief's excuse for 8 of those years?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post

So, what was the Community Organizer in Chief's excuse for 8 of those years?
        What's your excuse for opposing any increase today, 12 years after the last increase? Are you going to pretend that your party wouldn't do it if Trump asked for it?

Comment

• I think it’s bad policy. I’ve articulated lots of reasons why. Again, who makes minimum wage? It sure as fuck ain’t some dude supporting a family of 4. Whatever. Ds gonna D. I’m just looking forward to even more free money.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            I think it’s bad policy. I’ve articulated lots of reasons why. Again, who makes minimum wage? It sure as fuck ain’t some dude supporting a family of 4. Whatever. Ds gonna D. I’m just looking forward to even more free money.
            Did you oppose the increase in 2007? In the Clinton years?

Comment

• I’m generally against the concept. I can’t recall what I supported 20 years ago and I can’t fathom how my view on the issue in 1995 is relevant to the proposed policy choice. But, DSL gonna DSL.

For the third fucking time — who makes minimum wage?

Comment

• Also, this has been discussed with some seriousness in this thread. Job loss, the regressive nature of the costs, the uncertainty of the costs and, generally, the types of folks making minimum wage are all good reasons to oppose it. These points have been made in detail. If you disagree with the substance for substantive reasons, fine. That’s a policy debate. I still have no fucking clue what my opinion on 1996 has to do with any of that.

Comment

• I am well aware that job losses occurs with minimum wage hikes. But that is true of every single min wage hike throughout history. So whether you've been consistent in your total opposition to all minimum wage hikes throughout history is relevant. Or else provide evidence that a minimum wage hike NOW, the first in a dozen years, even if only a dime, would be ruinous for America.
                  Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; February 25, 2021, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• Unserious. So, whatever, man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

What's your excuse for opposing any increase today, 12 years after the last increase? Are you going to pretend that your party wouldn't do it if Trump asked for it?
                      Where do you get off with saying that I oppose ANY increase? Please answer the question posed. Obama (aka the Community Organizer in Chief) was in charge for 8 years- and didn't face nearly the partisanship (yeah, spare the McConnell "do everything to make him a one-term president" nonsense- we all know that he's a tool), and organized character assassins of the last 4 years. Why did HE not do anything about it?

It's not ALL about Orange Man bad.
                      Last edited by Tom W; February 26, 2021, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• The reason neither Obama nor Trump got a minimum wage increase is that it is bad economic policy.

We are now living in a post-policy era where there is a religious belief in far-left agenda items.

Comment

• Just like the right's religious belief in Trump. You have two counterproductive extremes sucking all the oxygen in the room with the Rationality Zone in the middle largely invisible. This is what happens when politics has become an identity and being a screeching partisan hack is required rather than being the outlier.
                          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post

Where do you get off with saying that I oppose ANY increase? Please answer the question posed. Obama (aka the Community Organizer in Chief) was in charge for 8 years- and didn't face nearly the partisanship (yeah, spare the McConnell "do everything to make him a one-term president" nonsense- we all know that he's a tool), and organized character assassins of the last 4 years. Why did HE not do anything about it?

It's not ALL about Orange Man bad.
                            The reason it wasn't a top priority for Obama early in his Presidency, I imagine, is that in 2009 the minimum wage was still going up thanks to legislation passed in 2007 under Bush. By 2011 the Tea Party was in charge of the House. What about the House of Representatives from 2011 to 2017 makes you think they were open to the idea of a wage hike?

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                              The reason neither Obama nor Trump got a minimum wage increase is that it is bad economic policy.

We are now living in a post-policy era where there is a religious belief in far-left agenda items.
                              I've mentioned it before but Florida, a state with two Republican Senators and the most popular Republican governor in the country, and which Trump won easily, just voted to raise its minimum wage to $15 with over 60% voting in favor of it.

Looks like even a lot of rightwing populists believe in far left agenda items and bad economic policy

Comment

• I would prefer those decisions are made at the state level rather than the federal government imposing a $15 minimum wage in low cost of living states/regions. It's been mentioned before that $15/hour does you no good in NYC or SoCal, but it would be crushing if you run a restaurant in Shiawasee County, MI.

And Obama did sign an EO to raise the minimum wage for federal contracting to $10.10 because it was all he could do with the Ds in the minority position. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with an incremental increase to $10 over a few years but $15 is ridiculous.
                                Last edited by Mike; February 26, 2021, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X