No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The number of breakthrough cases, based on review of 35 states through the end of July was 111,748
    That number is 10x more than the end of April tally by the CDC, no wonder they stopped tracking "breakthrough" cases.

Comment

• 7tZ3pU2j.jpg

LMAO

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
        Originally posted by CGVT View Post

Want this shit to stop?

Get the damn shot.

Simple as that.

Comment

• Disney tells all salaried and non-union employees they're now required to get the vaccine. Not sure if this sets up a conflict with DeSantis or not...does the Florida anti vaccine-passport law apply just to customers or employees too?

Comment

• I'd bet my nutsack that the percentage of Disney employees who have been fully vaccinated already exceeds a generally accepted herd immunity percentage. They are just virtue-signalling and making sure that their employees know their place.

Covid-stan is fighting back hard now.
            Last edited by Hannibal; July 30, 2021, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

Nothing about this changes the fact that if you want this shit to stop, gt the fucking shot.
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

Nothing about this changes the fact that if you want this shit to stop, gt the fucking shot.
                you don't see the irony that you called Trump a dictator?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                  The number of breakthrough cases, based on review of 35 states through the end of July was 111,748
                  That number is 10x more than the end of April tally by the CDC, no wonder they stopped tracking "breakthrough" cases.

That represents less than 0.08% of all fully vaccinated Americans (164M+) and only 1400 of those have died.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

That represents less than 0.08% of all fully vaccinated Americans (164M+) and only 1400 of those have died.
                    it's just interesting that the CDC doesn't track the # of cases. like the vaccine deaths.

Comment

Disney tells all salaried and non-union employees they're now required to get the vaccine. Not sure if this sets up a conflict with DeSantis or not...does the Florida anti vaccine-passport law apply just to customers or employees too?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/30/disn...accinated.html
                      Desantis has hedged on this. HIs earlier statements that oppose mask mandates in schools, now law by EO to be ushered through the FL Congress and brought to his desk for signature next week included a rejoinder that he does not oppose businesses setting their own requirements for employees. I assume he is fine with businesses mandating vaccination for employees - that is because he understands the law like too many policy makers don't
                      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Disney tells all salaried and non-union employees they're now required to get the vaccine. Not sure if this sets up a conflict with DeSantis or not...does the Florida anti vaccine-passport law apply just to customers or employees too?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/30/disn...accinated.html
                        Unions probably have a clause in their contract that states the company cannot impose a rule or requirement without the approval of the union.

Sometimes, unions do good things.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

That sort of chatter is about three months back in the running narrative. We're on to it and the architects of fear have gone on to a couple more tricks since then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post

That sort of chatter is about three months back in the running narrative. We're on to it and the architects of fear have gone on to a couple more tricks since then.
                            All very true. The fear monkeys need to keep this thing going, and associate the 'bad guys' with Trump/Trump supporters. But facts betray them. Some of the most resistant people to the vaccines are inner city and minorities, which overwhelmingly vote Democrat. See Detroit/Wayne County.

And irony doesn't end there. I remember Trump taking a lot of heat from 'experts' who criticized him for "Operation Warp Speed". Trump basically said "sic 'em" to the drug companies, and voila .. here we have three effective vaccines. The critics said Trump was 'moving too fast" .. and 'not following the science". Even Future President Kamala said she'd REFUSE to take any vaccine developed under Warp Speed.

Fast forward to August 2021, .. and the Biden administration is hinting at MANDATORY vaccination for ALL. The same vaccines developed under Trump's Warp Speed. (can you imagine the uproar if Trump had hinted at mandatory immunizations?) They floated a trial balloon Friday on that very subject, but very tactfully backed off when even liberals started griping about it. But, that idea will be kept on file. We haven't seen the last of that subject.

Finally, it was good to see a few Republicans grow a set and rebel against Pelosi's mask mandate in the House. The Senate has no such rule, but the other side of the building does? This is what happens when you allow a feeble woman from California run the House.
                            Last edited by lineygoblue; July 30, 2021, 11:33 PM.
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Some of the most resistant people to the vaccines are inner city and minorities, which overwhelmingly vote Democrat. See Detroit/Wayne County.
                              I'm sure there's some truth to this in Wayne Co. In an article in the Economist, they took a look at the make-up of the 30% of Americans who had not yet gotten vaccinated. Among a small number of R's in that group that would never get the vaccine and who are adherents to conspiracy theories like the microchip idiocy, a large portion - I think that was in the neighborhood of 35% - were "health care illiterate." IOW a polite way to identify stupid. It's hard to change stupid.

Now, maybe that's unfair and it probably is because there is a difference between having and understanding the information and not having it at all. I can attest to the enormous number of patients I had encounters with that knew nothing about taking care of themselves, not needing HC providers to do that, didn't understand their insurance plans (esp. Medicare recipients), on and on. The Economist opined it was this group that should be the target of the vaccine push if governments want to get the best bang for their buck.

Anyway, in a related issue ....... last evenings headline involved screeching about 100K+ new cases (in a week) in FL and that Governor Desantis is "murdering" thousands with his no mandates of any kind politics. No need to talk here about the stupidity of mask mandates so, keep on truckin' Ron.

What gets zero mention are the silver linings in all of these people getting sick from COVID in FL. Let's look at that. Testing in FL is up around 200%. What that allows is for PH authorities (recently up-funded by the bad guy Desantis who actuallly understands the pandemic better than any of his critics) to localize outbreaks and implement strategies to contain them - exactly what's happening. The second thing that's happening in FL is that people are getting vaccinated because they've seen friends and acquaintances who aren't vaccinated get COVID and those that are not get it. Hmmmm, maybe I should go get the jab. Right! Lastly, I suspect herd immunity in FL is close at hand if FL is not already there. Stand by for the steep drop in new cases over the next week or so due to mysterious reasons or due to herd immunity - I don't care which takes hold but one of them will.

Finally, I'm going to undertake some wild speculation here based on my own past experience in ER medicine and patient admissions. No denying the recent increase in COVID cases has produced an increase in hospitalizations. Probably 95% of these are accomplished through ERs. If you look at daily rates of hospitalizations in FL they increased, then plateaued as bed space approached 90% of capacity. It's at this point, news reports trumpeted "hospitals becoming overwhelmed."

Here's what I think. ER docs have, in general, low thresholds to admit a patient when bed space is available. I also think that in the current circumstance, there is overcautiousness wrt to admitting COVID patients who present with shortness of breath and 02 sats at or below 95%. Below 90% often requires admission if that basic metric is supported with an Arterial Blood Gas draw. Instead of drawing the ABG in the ER then admitting, they admit and draw the ABG after admission. One of the problems with COVID patients is that they can present in pretty good shape, then suddenly crash. No ER doc wants to risk that happening after they discharge someone. So, admit, admit, admit.

What I'd like to know is the time to discharge of patients admitted for COVID. I'll bet its low, maybe in the range of 2-3d. If that's true, first, some of these admissions could have had an ABG in the ER and, if warranted, been sent home on prednisone to F/U with their PCP. JMO but if this observation is even a little bit accurate, with high rates of new COVID cases presenting to the ER and the resultant hospitalization rates this usually useful metric to assess disease burden could be a misleading. IOW, devil is always in the details when you look more closely at them.
                              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; July 31, 2021, 06:54 AM.
                              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

All very true. The fear monkeys need to keep this thing going, and associate the 'bad guys' with Trump/Trump supporters. But facts betray them. Some of the most resistant people to the vaccines are inner city and minorities, which overwhelmingly vote Democrat. See Detroit/Wayne County.

And irony doesn't end there. I remember Trump taking a lot of heat from 'experts' who criticized him for "Operation Warp Speed". Trump basically said "sic 'em" to the drug companies, and voila .. here we have three effective vaccines. The critics said Trump was 'moving too fast" .. and 'not following the science". Even Future President Kamala said she'd REFUSE to take any vaccine developed under Warp Speed.

Fast forward to August 2021, .. and the Biden administration is hinting at MANDATORY vaccination for ALL. The same vaccines developed under Trump's Warp Speed. (can you imagine the uproar if Trump had hinted at mandatory immunizations?) They floated a trial balloon Friday on that very subject, but very tactfully backed off when even liberals started griping about it. But, that idea will be kept on file. We haven't seen the last of that subject.

Finally, it was good to see a few Republicans grow a set and rebel against Pelosi's mask mandate in the House. The Senate has no such rule, but the other side of the building does? This is what happens when you allow a feeble woman from California run the House.
                                The vaccination rates of people who have received at least one dose (as of the end of June)

86% -- Democrats
                                85% -- Seniors
                                72% -- Urban residents
                                67% -- White Adults
                                61% -- Independents
                                60% -- Black Adults
                                58% -- White Evangelical Christians
                                54% -- Rural residents
                                52% -- Republicans

It's true that whites overall are more vaccinated than blacks. But that's definitely not because of white Republicans. It's because the vaccination rate among white Democrats is very high. And for the people wondering how the rate for Democrats can be so high when the rate among blacks is much lower, it's because blacks are a smaller % of the overall population and Democratic Party than many think

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covi...als&stream=top

Comment

Working...
                                X