No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankly, I don't know how anyone can view the events of January 6th other than an attempt to illegally disrupt the election process involving the voter's selection of the US president. If official reports are to be believed and I generally subscribe to them this wasn't an organized undertaking - maybe informally and on line - but it lacked the organizing and chain of command elements of an "insurrection."

It did get out of hand like large groups of people demonstrating to make a point happens. Babit's death and the many injuries to police (later deaths) and civilians sustained in the fracas are the result. The event and the political aftermath represent the worst and, perhaps even the best, of American culture, although I have trouble seeing anything good about this even though protesting is an American tradition. The problem for me is that the protests were based on a set of giant lies perpetrated by Donald Trump and his people leveraging social media to promulgate those lies.
    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I just don't like the selective outrage when it comes to rioting.

If you are outraged over Jan 6, then you should be outraged over Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, and anywhere else rioting has taken place.

The problem is, in one instance The Party benefitted. In the other, they did not.

The MSM is the official voice of The Party, and that is why Jan 6 is considered to be much more evil.

I'll never buy that.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I just don't like the selective outrage when it comes to rioting.

That is propaganda. The people who minimize the riots are no different that those minimizing Jan 6.

If you are outraged over Jan 6, then you should be outraged over Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, and anywhere else rioting has taken place.

Correct.

The problem is, in one instance The Party benefitted. In the other, they did not.

Neither party benefitted from the criminal behavior. That is right wing disinformation.

The MSM is the official voice of The Party, and that is why Jan 6 is considered to be much more evil.

Tell me how FOX, the self proclaimed propaganda arm of the GOP, is the voice of the Democratic Party. As the network with the largest viewership, it must clearly be part of the "MSM" - unless MSM means broadcasters not FOX.

The rioters both in Washington/Minnesota and the Capitol should have been dealt with harshly. Police should have been issued M-60's instead of batons. A few warning shots over their heads would have stopped them cold.

Jan 6 was more evil. Washington/Minnesota were assaults on a city and private property. The Capitol was an assault on our Constitutional democratic process. One group tried to burn down cities and one group tried to burn our Constitution. Both groups should have been dealt with far more harshly than they were.
        I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• I mock the outrage and breathless reporting of the Jan 6 coverage because it is hyperbolic nonsense. Yes, people rioted and it was an ugly scene. They are being rounded up by the FBI and charged with crimes ranging from trespassing to interference with an official proceeding. To my knowledge, not a single person has actually been charged with insurrection. Yet that's how the incident is carelessly referred to ad nauseam. Some 600 people have been arrested for their involvement. Good. I believe the longest sentence handed down so far is like 12 months but a lot of them have been denied bail and are still being held, some in solitary confinement. That seems a little over the top for charges that are warranting very little jail time. In fact, to suggest that our democracy was in peril that day is an insult to hyperbolic nonsense. The end result was that the certification of the electoral college vote was delayed three hours.

Contrast that with the summer of 2020 BLM/Antifa riots that were THE MOST DESTRUCTIVE IN U.S. HISTORY. Some 270 cities saw burning and looting. Estimates as high as $20 BILLION in damages. Many lives lost. Police stations being burned down. Officers being assaulted with Molotov cocktails and bottles of piss. Innocent people being dragged from their cars and brutally beaten. And how was that portrayed in the media? "Mostly peaceful protests" for social justice, racial justice, fill-in-the-blank justice... Prominent politicians including the current Vice President of the United States raised money to bail out offenders. The "protesters" were clearly cast as the good guys. And what were some of the results of all this destruction? Police departments throughout the country received reduced funding, were cast as the bad guys, and had their hands tied with restrictive policies.

So, yes. To Liney's point, the portrayal of these events couldn't be in starker contrast and anyone with at least one eyeball and a functioning brain stem knows it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obi-Jon View Post
            Both groups should have been dealt with far more harshly than they were.
            This 1,000%.

Comment

• If it weren't for Fox News, and the programming on Fox, there would be no voice for conservative America. CNN sure isn't going to step up and do it. None of the rest would raise their hand either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                I mock the outrage and breathless reporting of the Jan 6 coverage because it is hyperbolic nonsense. Yes, people rioted and it was an ugly scene. They are being rounded up by the FBI and charged with crimes ranging from trespassing to interference with an official proceeding. To my knowledge, not a single person has actually been charged with insurrection. Yet that's how the incident is carelessly referred to ad nauseam. Some 600 people have been arrested for their involvement. Good. I believe the longest sentence handed down so far is like 12 months but a lot of them have been denied bail and are still being held, some in solitary confinement. That seems a little over the top for charges that are warranting very little jail time. In fact, to suggest that our democracy was in peril that day is an insult to hyperbolic nonsense. The end result was that the certification of the electoral college vote was delayed three hours.
                This is a common thing going around. There's currently only about 40 people being held in jail until their trial. Nearly all of them are charged with violent or more serious crimes. Not people who came in, gawked at the Rotunda, smoked a doobie, and then left. Even that guy who had his feet up on Pelosi's desk, stole stuff from her office, and had a weapon on him (stun gun) has been home on bail for months.

I know of one person who recently got sent to jail because she refused to comply with the terms of her release pending trial: Pauline Bauer. She's a nutjob that's defending herself and using the "sovereign citizen" defense. She's supposed to check in with something like a parole officer every once in a while and refused. Wouldn't let them inspect her home either. Told the judge she doesn't recognize the US govt and no so-called judge has the authority to make her do anything. So the judge told her she gets to await trial in prison now.

Another funny side note...I seem to recall a judge recently dismissing conspiracy charges against one of these clowns because there's video of him yelling "Were storming the White House! We're storming the White House!" Based on that, the judge noted, he didn't believe the man capable of planning anything.

Comment

• Should have and could have are two different things in the context of the right's and left's protesting and subsequent rioting.

Authorities in DC shit the bed on this one - unprepared, confused chain of command resulting in unclear orders. Maybe next time.

Police in position to hammer down before shit got out of control in places where it did were hamstrung by mayors of a certain persuasion who told them to stand down. Keisha Lance Bottoms, mayor of Atlanta among them.

Fuck that. if you want civil order, police have to be ready to crack some heads before things get out of control. This is basic riot control 101 and there should be no calls complaining this or that city is a police state. I hope it is like one when it comes to this shit...... wait. Defund the police and all of that. Such nonsense is beyond my comprehension but here we are.

Side note: I posted way up thread a while back that elected officials on opposite sides of the political spectrum take up absurd positions as if there's no middle ground, shouting elevates and polarization continues. e.g., I like Ron Desantis - well, I used to - he's now taken up some bewildering positions. His latest bad move is hiring a crack-pot MD as his new Surgeon General. Some crazy shit going down in Tallahassee. His numbers are declining in the state. I don't follow those nationally but, seems to me, he's cutting his own throat. Weird.
                  There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

This is a common thing going around. There's currently only about 40 people being held in jail until their trial. Nearly all of them are charged with violent or more serious crimes. Not people who came in, gawked at the Rotunda, smoked a doobie, and then left. Even that guy who had his feet up on Pelosi's desk, stole stuff from her office, and had a weapon on him (stun gun) has been home on bail for months.

I know of one person who recently got sent to jail because she refused to comply with the terms of her release pending trial: Pauline Bauer. She's a nutjob that's defending herself and using the "sovereign citizen" defense. She's supposed to check in with something like a parole officer every once in a while and refused. Wouldn't let them inspect her home either. Told the judge she doesn't recognize the US govt and no so-called judge has the authority to make her do anything. So the judge told her she gets to await trial in prison now.

Another funny side note...I seem to recall a judge recently dismissing conspiracy charges against one of these clowns because there's video of him yelling "Were storming the White House! We're storming the White House!" Based on that, the judge noted, he didn't believe the man capable of planning anything.
                    Ha! They definitely aren't too bright.

But as for being denied bond, isn't that a bad thing now? I mean people charged with murder often have bond set. It just seems over the top to me. I thought we were supposed to book and release everyone now out of an earnest anti-racist duty. Oh... I understand now.

Comment

• Trucker Joe says the border agents on the horses "will pay" for doing their jobs.

Anyone who thought we had a fool for President in Donald Trump needs to acknowledge the same in Joe Biden.

President Biden on Friday issued a stern warning to Border Patrol agents seen this week chasing migrants on horseback, vowing, "those people will pay," amid an ongoing investigation into the images which some Democrats have claimed showed agents whipping migrants.

Comment

• Does that mean he'll blow up a car full of children in retaliation?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          Does that mean he'll blow up a car full of children in retaliation?
                          WAG THE DOG BABY!!
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                            Should have and could have are two different things in the context of the right's and left's protesting and subsequent rioting.

Fuck that. if you want civil order, police have to be ready to crack some heads before things get out of control.
                            Police are willing to do much more than crack heads if we're talking about Republicans. They will execute them on the spot.

If we applied the same standards to Democrat rioters as we did to Ashli Babbitt, their bodies would have been getting stacked like cord wood in the streets last year. Everyone that you saw with an incendiary device would be dead. Everyone who destroyed a place of business would be dead. Anyone caught threatening a life would be dead. (Ashli Babbitt wasn't even threatening anyone's life). But they aren't, because we have a two tier justice system in the United States.
                            Last edited by Hannibal; September 24, 2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Speaking of threatening politicians..

This Democrat hero would be dead too. He stormed the stage in Ohio when President Trump was there. What he did was much more threatening than what Ashli Babbitt did. One is dead. The other got to be a hero doing puff piece interviews on Democrat-run media.

Comment

• These ladies would be dead too. They got within a few feet of Jeff Flake. Unlike Ashli Babbitt, who was never in the same room as a Congressman or woman.

Comment

Working...
                                X