No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For anyone that's actually had covid, do you still have lingering smell/taste issues? There are some random things that I'm not sure will ever taste right to me again

Comment

• Mine returned to normal, but it took 6 months or do.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
        Mine returned to normal, but it took 6 months or do.
        So I had it it in January and for about 2 months everything slowly got back to normal but then in early April certain things things started tasting "bad". And those things still aren't normal for me.

Not a lot of stuff but most french fries, red wine, it seems connected more to carbs than anything else. Meats and veggies I'm typically fine. I sort of think it's anything with a lot of sulfites but I don't really know.

It does also has a tendency to get better as I eat/drink more. I kid you not, when I drink wine now I might as well be drinking vinegar until after a few swallows.

Comment

• DSL, to my knowledge there is no common pattern to what kinds of tastes and smells you loose post COVID and what kinds return ..... yet. There may be in the future but I doubt it. People will experience this in different ways.

COVID is thought to destroy tissues in smell and taste receptors (these are different) in the nose and tongue. These receptors transmit signals to the olfactory bulb of the brain - COVID doesn't affect that. A test to determine if the loss of sense of taste and smell is central (in the brain) as opposed to peripheral (in the receptors) is to see if the testee can smell coffee or cinnamon. Those smells are preserved centrally in olfactory memory - a higher level cortical function not involving the receptors in the nose or tongue or olfactory bulb.

It's not just COVID that can damage the receptors. Life long sinus problems, allergies or a single really bad sinus infection from the Corona Virus family can do it too. The older you are, the less likely damaged receptors will regenerate.

Here's a good reference - just look at the key points in the two sections.

There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Some more context on the Danish and Swedes pausing the Moderna vaccine in under 18s. They aren't saying pause all vaccines in this age cohort, only the Moderna Spikevax product. This is a perfect example of the media jumping on a new finding or vaccine policy and only giving consumers part of the story.

​​​​​​https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...b2da6e075b25bf
            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              For anyone that's actually had covid, do you still have lingering smell/taste issues? There are some random things that I'm not sure will ever taste right to me again
              You have covid? I though you got vaxxed...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post

You have covid? I though you got vaxxed...
                I caught it last Christmas. I got vaxxed late May

Comment

• Interesting

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

I care about the future. I just don't share your apocalyptic vision of the future. I don't share your doomsday vision of the present.

Crime rates aren't at record highs. Race wars aren't happening. I doubt you've ever been directly impacted by a tranny your entire life. Your capacity for self-pity is enedless.
                    My opinions come from a variety of places -- none of them from self pity. I'm doing fine myself. Quite well, in fact. But I'm also not going to live forever, and I'd prefer to bequeath a society to the next generation that is better than what I inherited, in as many ways as possible. With an obvious preference for my own progeny. The world is much bigger to me than just my own bubble. I don't need to be personally affected by something to see that it is wrong. I'll bet that you don't either. The concept that you should have to be personally hurt by something to have an opinion on it is absurd. The destruction of something as essential as the concept of objective truths should offend anyone who cares about living in a healthy society.

But I do know that I have never seen you as giddy with glee in these forums as you were last summer. Not even when OSU won the national championship. It's obvious where your heart lies in these matters.
                    Last edited by Hannibal; October 7, 2021, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• The anti-masker parents at school board meetings are now domestic terrorists..

parents-versus-school-board-stonetoss-comic.png?fit=1000%2C500.png

Comment

• This should have been part of my post up thread on vaccinating the two age cohorts - under 12 and 12-16 - where there is question about risk v. benefit but no one that I'm reading doubts that vaccinating kids 12-16 produces benefits that outweigh any risks.

A good number of countries I'm reading about, rather than abandoning the policy of not vaccinating these two age groups but are recommending just one dose of the Pfizer vaccine for 12-16. I've not read them but apparently, in studies conducted on a single dose regimen when antibodies are measured by more thorough and specific serology both adaptive and humeral defenses are high enough in vitro to prevent growth of the SARS2 virus. NB: In vitro studies (in the lab) are a lot different than in vivo so, this is no slam dunk for one dose will do it. It's an indicator of uncertain value at this point. That does not mean the press won't headline this stuff though. Have a critical eye.

Comment

• pk30mXdS.jpg

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                              I heard about the Idaho thing. What’s funny is he is at the border working on that crisis (wtf?) while she is up there trying to send Idaho troops down.

That border Idaho shares with Mexico must be bolstered.
                              when the feds are flying and bussing unvaccinated illegals into your state, then it's your problem no matter how far from the border you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post

when the feds are flying and bussing unvaccinated illegals into your state, then it's your problem no matter how far from the border you are.
                                While that may be true, your meeting of import is probably not with the rank and file at the actual border. Rather, your meeting would be with the federal policy makers in DC.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X